de Havilland D.H.91 Albatross - FINISHED

nimrod54

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope it all goes as well as it can from here for you and your family.

We will save you a space at the modelling table...

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for your kind words of condolence, We spent some time at the in-laws flat today and made a start on sorting through a few things, still plenty to do though.

That said, when we got back home postie had left me a package that contained a couple of packs of larger sized tubing (1.2-1.8mm and 2.0mm) so I have just finished a short session trying to improve one of the oleos and here is the result.

DSC01802_zpshoc1u2ze.jpg

When I get time I am going to see if I can recreate the scissor link mechanism shown in one of the photo links that Dave provided.

Cheers again,,

• Like 4

A second short session in the wee small hours of this morning has allowed me to attempt the scissor/compression link. I have used some 0.2mm brass wire bent in a 'V' around the shank of a drill and a couple of small pieces of 0.4mm tube for the leg attachment points, with the centre link formed from a blob of glue. Not perfect but I think that it is a fair representation of what is there at this scale and should look OK with some paint on. I just have to repeat the whole process for the other leg now.

DSC01803_zpstovrq15d.jpg

DSC01805_zpsqb65bim5.jpg

• Like 6

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:21 AM, Basilisk said:

Did you do all the gluing with CA?

Yes Peter, it is all glued with CA, I added a tiny dab to one end of a part, this gave me some time for adjustment, and then carefully ran a bead along the join from the end of a home made applicator. The centre link was built up from several applications.

I have a couple of these home made applicator tools which I made from a short length of bamboo skewer and these were drilled at one end to accept a short length of thin wire. One of these has a length of 0.1mm wire and the other 0.2mm and I keep the tips of these free from glue by briefly holding them in the flame of a lighter to quickly burn off any residue. I load them from a small drop of glue placed on a ceramic tile but it can take several passes through until I have it 'primed' with sufficient glue. Once applied to the joint line and depending on size and space around the parts involved, I clean the area by either gently running a corner of some kitchen paper towel along the join immediately after application to absorb any excess or wait until everything is set before gently scraping away any glue residue with a scalpel.

• Like 2

Just another small update for the moment. I tackled the other oleo tonight, a second scissor link to make, then I can paint everything up and that should complete the main undercarriage legs.

DSC01811_zpsudynpnyx.jpg

• Like 5

I managed to get a first decaling session in this afternoon and was able to get the fuselage and upper wing decals done The model has now been set aside to give the decals time to dry before I add the lower wing registration and nacelle flashes .

Up to this point I had not decided which aircraft to model and the decision was taken to select from one of the two surviving aircraft that were scrapped in September 1943. Because the other 1943 survivor Falcon seems a fairly common subject I have gone for G-AFDM ''Fiona' as my choice.

DSC01821_zpseeif0isq.jpg 

DSC01820_zpsnu0petvu.jpg

DSC01822_zpstm07rezy.jpg

DSC01823_zpsrhvelmje.jpg

That's another step nearer to completion.

• Like 7

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:07 AM, CliffB said:

I'm loving those window decals :)

Cliff

You should see the set with the passengers and crew peering through them. I will post some photos at the next update.

• Like 1

OK let me tidy things up from my previous post first. Just for @CliffB, here is a shot of the alternative cockpit and cabin windows complete with passengers and crew.

DSC01873_zpsr9yguc5e.jpg

In the end I decided they were a bit gimmicky, but if your thing is for some animation in your models then you do have a choice with this kit.

A couple of other jobs I have recently completed have been the addition of underside registration code and the flashes down the nacelle sides. That just leaves the decal along the top of the fuselage to complete this stage of the build, but I want to find something suitable for the vents behind each window to give more of a three dimensional look rather 2D appearance of the decal.

DSC01872_zpsxcjltffu.jpg 

DSC01871_zpsfjcpoir8.jpg  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

In the end I decided they were a bit gimmicky

The figures look a bit on the small side to me, nice try but not as good as AA's photorealistic windows.

Can't put a finger on it, and it may just be me, but now you've got the decals on, the cockpit area looks a bit "off"?

14 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Can't put a finger on it, and it may just be me, but now you've got the decals on, the cockpit area looks a bit "off"?

That could be down to subject set up and the photographer Dave, but I don't think that the little flat area in the resin above the side windows is helping any.

Good afternoon John,

this model is superb. Congratulations!

Please confirm the windows are on a single transparent decal?

Whatever, this is fantastic modeling!

JR

• Like 1

Lovely work John. It's a beautiful aircraft, it's a shame it had a doubtful history.

Your model is just gorgeous.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1