de Havilland D.H.91 Albatross - FINISHED

nimrod54

Just a placeholder for the moment because I am waiting for the kit to arrive for this build. It was due to be despatched on Monday so I am expecting it any day now, I will post photos just as soon as I can

I have wanted to make a model of this very sleek looking aircraft for a while now after spotting it on a display of models representing aircraft used by British Airways/BOAC/Imperial Airways at Scale Modelworld a few years ago. I thought that it would be a nice addition to this group build and set about finding a suitable kit.

A brief, but fascinating, history can be found here on the Old Machine Press site.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Had no idea there was a model of this machine available. Who makes the kit?

Hi Col,

I have gone for the Welsh Models version but F-Rsin also did a 1/144 kit and Rug Rat Resins have a 1/72 version in the pipeline. 

• Like 1

My kit arrived this morning and I have just sorted the photos of the box contents out. Not a lot of parts as you can see, and at first glance those that are there look to be nicely cast and free of pinholes. I am looking forward to making a start on this one soon.

DSC01706_zpsihwdinnc.jpg

DSC01709_zpse2ue5vaa.jpg

DSC01707_zpssorrsgxp.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looks a lovely kit John. Good luck. 

Thanks buddy. it's a nice kit and I was able to get started this afternoon. I had to juggle about with the wing fit to get a reasonable fit to the forward and aft wing joints underneath. This left a gap around the wing roots that will need some filler. I was also able to assemble the tailplanes and added the nosecone which just required some minimal sanding to tidy this up.

I hope that the moving plans are going to schedule. 

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Looks like a nice build Will be watching 

Martin H

Cheers Martin, I can't say that it will be too exciting but I hope you enjoy watching.

Here's a progress photo to be going on with.

DSC01710_zpsiugcknzr.jpg

• Like 9

Moving plans! Waiting on solicitors to agree but hopefully soon. Can't wait to get the new man cave set up & back to the GBs. I'm sure SWMBO has other plans for my time. 

There looking good already John, always an advantage of 144 scale, you get a plane pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I'm sure SWMBO has other plans for my time. 

If she is anything like Caron then I am sure she will mate. She is on half-term break this week and I had a gardening session this morning, luckily rain stopped play and it was modelling time. :winkgrin: 

I hope things get sorted out soon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looks like another winner John!

Cheers Cookie, I like the look of this aircraft, it just has such clean lines. I had a slight issue with lining up the tailplanes earlier tonight though, I had to take one side or the other off, clean up the joint and refit them three time before I was satisfied with their position. End user failure I think. :winkgrin: 

I am going to leave them overnight and update the thread with photos tomorrow.

• Like 1

I managed to spray a coat of grey primer tailplane and wing joints this morning and this is just drying off at the moment. The tail joints look OK but I will have to do a bit more work around the wing roots to blend them in a little more, after that I should be able to get some paint on.

Photo of how things stood before adding primer this morning.

DSC01712_zpsdvfbjjy3.jpg

• Like 9

Hi John,

excellent start, and you are almost finished already!

Did you have to insert pins at wing root level to strengthen the joint with the fuselage, or did you just butt joint them?

Whatever, it looks brilliant!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment, it is much appreciated.

@jean 

There was no need for me to pin the wing joint Jean, they simply fit into a recess under the fuselage. However, I did have to adjust them to give a best fit to the fuselage underside with this and the wing root requiring some filler afterwards, these still need further blending to neaten things up. The tailplane joint is just a butt joint so I will need to take extra care when handling and it would definitely have been of benefit to pin these.

@Silver Fox 

Don't worry, I will be looking at making a start on masking the Rapide over the weekend. Then there's the Vulcan for the 70's NATO v WP group build and... :frantic: :)

You may also be interested to know that F-Rsin do a 1/144 version and Rug Rat Resins have plans to release a 1/72 version at some point.

Since the last update the Albatross has been primed and had the topcoat painted with Tamiya TS30 Silver Leaf. I have also modified the undercarriage doors to include the smaller lower section of the door which seems to sit at 90to the door attached to the leg, I forgot to photograph these but will do that for the next update. The next jobs are to make the various aerials that sit atop and under the nose and to tidy and paint the ancillary parts before decals and final assembly.

DSC01737_zpszskmk2j7.jpg

• Like 9