1/72 DH.89A Dragon Rapide ++ Finished ++

CliffB

Hi everyone.  This will be my entry for the GB.

P1100119_zpsumw0kmkq.jpg

This Tasman Models boxing was produced in the early 1990's and comprises the well-known Heller kit, with some upgraded replacement parts, walk-round photographs and bespoke decal options.  Here are the Heller parts.

P1100117_zpsuairf4ab.jpg

And here are the extras that I'll be using.

P1100118_zpswkeyghx0.jpg

The Falcon vac-formed canopy came with the kit, but the photoetch sheet and decals for YU-SAS are aftermarket.

See you all later!

Cliff

• Like 9

Good one! Very nearly went with a Rapide for this GB - the first aircraft I ever flew in - age 7or 8, 1959 or '60, 'ten bob flip' from Prestwick Airport, my friend 'Scimitar' managed to track down a colour pic of the actual aircraft for me to replicate. I'll be watching your build closely for details and corrections!

• Like 1

Nice choice Cliff. Foolishly I missed the chance to purchase of of these kits while they were around so will be watching your progress with not only the usual interest I pay to your projects but also a small measure of envy ;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A belated 'thank you guys' for the welcome :).

Unusually for me, I kept the receipt for this kit.  I bought it on 25.1.94 for the pricely sum of £14.99 (which seemed a lot at the time).  I bought it from the old Hannants shop at Colindale.  I was doing some contract work at the national Newspaper Library (which was more or less directly opposite), so happy days!

Over this weekend I've been able to make a start, concentrating on the interior.  The cabin interior and passenger seat colours are pure imagination, but no matter as not much can be seen through the kit's 'bottle glass' side window transparencies.  I'm hoping that the vac-formed cockit glazing will be better, as the PE additions look OK....

P1100121_zps7uvueezh.jpg

P1100122_zpsouceo2x0.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 12

Thanks John and Col :).

Some more progress to report, with the fuselage and wings assembled, plus a few tweaks as recommended in the Tasman instructions.

P1100123_zpsit16rdec.jpg

I did have one disaster, which was born of Heller's decision to provide the kit pre-drilled for rigging wires.  Unfortunately, their holes are massive so I decided to fill them with superglue gel and then re-drill.  Even more unfortunately, I tried to speed thing up by spraying the model with CA accelerator.  This promptly turned the side windows a lovely shade of milky white :doh:.  I've never had this problem before, but this was a different brand of zapper.  Luckily, I do have a spare set of cabin windows in my spares box, so all is not lost.

This photo shows the most significant 'enhancements'.

P1100124_zpsbcgkb0gz.jpg

In no particular order:

• raised ribbing removed from sides of engine nacelles and panel lines re-scribed
  • fuel caps added to engine nacelles
  • luggage door added by scribing (plus highly detailed handle :winkgrin:).

As you can see, the PE window frames have also been added.  The full effect will be lost slightly on my silver machine, but they would look particularly nice left 'au natural' against a colourful fuselage.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

Thanks guys!

Here are today's photos.....

1)  Ready for primer

P1100127_zpsrzbl11zz.jpg

2)  First coat on

P1100128_zpsw4kvrwnh.jpg

Things of note are:

• I went with the kit's injection moulded canopy, as it seemed to be just as clear as the Falcon vac-form but much easier to work with and mask.
  • I added a generator (vanes to follow) and a venturi - both cobbled together from bits in my spares box.
  • I sanded off the kit's representation of the wing walkway (which is much too large), and replaced it with a new one cut from plasticard.

A little tidying up needed before the final primer coat, but nothing too bad.

Thanks for looking.

Cliff

• Like 12

It's coming along nicely Cliff, it will be a fantastic looking model in the end. There are some super builds happening in this GB and I'm already having difficulty picking a favourite.  

• Like 1

Liking it!   I've got a tasman version of the DH89 but with different markings, mainly military and all the extras that come with the kit.  Where did the etch set come from? This is inspiring me for my next DH....

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments :)

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Where did the etch set come from?

Paul, I got the etch from Hannants (still showing in stock at £4.99).

Cheers

Cliff

Missed the start of this one Cliff but here now, with interest - like some others I have this in the stash :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thank you all for your kind comments :)

Paul, I got the etch from Hannants (still showing in stock at £4.99).

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the heads up. Order placed.(Together with something else) Now will have to decide whether to break open my hoarded Tasman kit or the Airfix issue.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, there certainly do seem to be quite a few Tasman versions lurking out there in BM stashes :)

For me, 'the best laid plans' and all that!  By now I was expecting the Rapide to be fully painted, but unfortunately I experienced a persistent visible fault in the top fuselage joint that I just could not get rid of :fraidnot:.  I've never had this problem before (although I know others have), and it is extremely annoying!  The fit of the two kit parts was not good and I did end doing quite a lot of sanding, so I can only assume that the joint was thinned so much that it has a hair-line crack that allows a little movement.  I've tried re-gluing, but to no effect.

I decided that there was no alternative but to overskin the top deck using 10 thou.  I fact, a surprisingly quick and easy task on the Rapide.  I should have done it sooner!

P1100132_zpsrxn6j5ws.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 10

I believe you have done the right thing re the reskinning of the upper fuselage. It really should have subtle longerons showing through fabric if you now what I mean. A bit like fabric covered wings. A long while back I saw somewhere how someone had done this very well. The whole of the top fuselage from cockpit to fin ought to be like this. Of course one can model this to how they see fit. When  I get to start mine, I'll have a look at seeing how to go about it.

Wouldn't it lovely if Airfix made a brand new tool of it to go with their lovely Tiger Moth.....:waiting:

• Like 4

Thank you Ced and Paul.  It looks like I missed an opportunity when I re-skinned (re-skun?) the upper fuselage :doh:.

On a brighter note (literally), the plane is now silver.  Half way through, my usual Games Workshop Mithril Silver ran out, so the final coat was Tamiya Flat Aluminium.   The Mithril is slightly darker, which I personally prefer, but the Tamiya is OK.

P1100133_zpsodbjdnxk.jpg

Decals and satin coat up next :).

Cliff

• Like 11