1/72 DH.89A Dragon Rapide ++ Finished ++

CliffB

Wow. Nice going Cliff. And another wow... My order from Hannants turned within three days!!!!  I now have those etch partts and once I have cleared a couple other things ... I think I will start on my Rapide and probable entrant number 2 for the GB

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CedB said:

Um, is there a wing missing? :D 

No, in fact he Yugoslav machines only had one wing (to make them even more Rapide).

Another unique feature was a roll-back fabric sunroof B)

Cliff

• Like 3

Just now, Paul J said:

Wow. Nice going Cliff. And another wow... My order from Hannants turned within three days!!!!  I now have those etch partts and once I have cleared a couple other things ... I think I will start on my Rapide and probable entrant number 2 for the GB

Sounds good Paul!  Any thoughts on the scheme yet?

Cliff

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

No, in fact he Yugoslav machines only had one wing (to make them even more Rapide).

Another unique feature was a roll-back fabric sunroof B)

:rofl: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks good Cliff, and a classy colour scheme to boot. What did you attach the 10 thou card with? I'm always afraid of using a solvent cement because of the risk of it eating through...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  I used a liquid poly cement, run in from the edges.  No real problems to report!

1 hour ago, bull-nut said:

Lovely looking DR. I really need to get one of these myself.

Thanks bull-nut.  Although I've had a few problems with the build (mostly my fault), I have really enjoyed it so far.  It is a nice little kit, only let down by the poor quality cabin glazing.

I managed to grab some time this afternoon and have finished applying the decals.  As usual, the Lift Here! decals behaved perfectly.  It's not the most colourful scheme though! :winkgrin:

P1100134_zpsskzpiztu.jpg

Hopefully more to report tomorrow.

Cliff

• Like 8

On 11/03/2017 at 14:00, CliffB said:

Sounds good Paul!  Any thoughts on the scheme yet?

Cliff

Probably a very boring one. G-AIDL. Allover silver dope and standard Civvy reg. Nothing else. Reason for this one is its the first of the two DH-89 I flew in at a Biggin Hill Air Fair in 1978. The other being 'GTM several years later at Shoreham. But markings for this no one does 

• Like 1

That's turning out to be very nice. You must have a newer release than I do. Mine was purchased in the late '80's or early 90's and is just white plastic, some green cellophane type material and a white metal instrument panel. No photoetch. The decals sheet looks nice, though.

Dragon.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

On 11/03/2017 at 9:26 PM, DAG058 said:

Looking very nice indeed Cliff! 

Thanks DAG, I'm glad you are liking it.

On 11/03/2017 at 9:47 PM, nimrod54 said:

Looks colourful enough to me Cliff, nice job with the wing join.

A trick of the camera I'm afraid,  as the top wing was not actually fixed in place in the last photo.  However it is now!  Just a little filler required and some delicate touching up with the airbrush (plus clingfilm masking over the decals :winkgrin:.)  The join lines are just visible from some angles/lighting!

P1100136_zpsuwqfoipr.jpg

On 11/03/2017 at 10:35 PM, Paul J said:

Probably a very boring one. G-AIDL. Allover silver dope and standard Civvy reg. Nothing else. Reason for this one is its the first of the two DH-89 I flew in at a Biggin Hill Air Fair in 1978. The other being 'GTM several years later But markings for this no one does 

It's nice to have a personal link Paul.

On 11/03/2017 at 11:28 PM, Nigel Heath said:

Lovely looking build. Its a most attractive aircraft.

Thanks Nigel.  It's a nice little kit for an oldie (the kit, not me - well maybe me too!)

On 11/03/2017 at 11:07 PM, CedB said:

Very smart Cliff - looking forward to the rigging, it's a tricky bird from the photos I've seen. Best of luck! :) 

Struts and rigging next.  Always a little stressful, but worth it when it's finished.

On 11/03/2017 at 11:41 PM, dogsbody said:

That's turning out to be very nice. You must have a newer release than I do. Mine was purchased in the late '80's or early 90's and is just white plastic, some green cellophane type material and a white metal instrument panel. No photoetch. The decals sheet looks nice, though.

Mine was bought in 1994.  It had a couple of white metal bits too, but I haven't used them.  I didn't get any green cellophane type material though??!  The PE is an aftermarket accessory, recently bought from Hannants.

On 12/03/2017 at 0:19 AM, Basilisk said:

I like your Yugoslav scheme you have currently going.

Interesting approach to fit the struts after painting and decalling.

Thanks Peter, I always build my biplanes this way as I find it makes it easier to paint and decal that way (particularly if there are stripes etc on the fuselage side).  There doesn't seem to be downside :winkgrin:

Thanks for all your interest

Cliff

• Like 3

Lovely work on this kit. I have an old Heller; I broke the canopy in a house move.

I wrote to the chap at Tasman Models and he sent me one for free :).

He still sells the Rapides (very reasonably priced), there are other versions now too, I think even including one with glowing/neon lettering!

There are some at the bottom of this page and the start of the next:

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_71&sort=20a&page=2

The window frames have made a big difference. Also a big improvement on the upper fuselage, no 'hump' as is so often seen on this one when built. I had been put off building it.

Now I know that a bit of re-skinning will do the trick!

Great stuff.

TonyT

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your continuing support :)

I was interested to see your link Tony and it's nice to see that the Tasman releases are still available.  The version with the neon lettering is just crazy though!

I am pleased to say that mine is now finished - I will post a few moire photos in the Gallery shortly

Thank you once again to all of you who have commented on, and/or 'liked', the thread.  And thanks too of course to the famous five, aka the Hosts.

P1100143.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 11