1/350 HMS Warspite

• 4 months later...

A little story....

My bro used to live in Singapore, and used to go deep diving using a re-breather. He dived the Prince of Wales wreck which is lying upside down at a depth of 223 ft.  He 'landed' on an exposed ceiling revealed by torpedo damage and searched around amongst piles of broken rum demijohns, stupidly stirring up sediment and getting lost. He tried to come up, but hit his head on the floor.... and quickly realised he'd actually entered the ship. Here, the water was clear and he saw some light and even more stupidly headed for it thinking it was a 'sure way out'. It wasn't. It was too small a hole, and now he'd stirred up yet more sediment behind him. He ended up in a small room filled with 3ft or more of sediment and then couldn't find the way out again. Running low on air he actually wrote a 'farewell' note before eventually deciding it was 'try or die'... He managed to find another hole by feeling around in what amounted to 'soup' and had to break corroded metal to squeeze through. Only then did he realise that instead of heading for light, he should stay in the clouds and keep out of clear water. He managed to retrace his path, and managed to get out! He JUST had enough air to bet back to the boat, decompressing just a few metres below the surface while his mates had given up on him and were 'commemorating his passing' with a lot of beer... the empty cans drifting down past him!  

I've just asked him if he has any photos, or video of the dive, but I doubt he has any! If he does I will share them here!

Btw, the Prince of Wales has been subjected to much 'looting' despite it being a war grave. Some 'xxxxxx's have even taken the propellers!

I am an AFV modeller, but I'm thinking of getting Tamiya's PoW and presenting it to my bro, as his 'retirement' present. He's 48yrs old.  If I do get it, I might have it finished by the time he hits 50! :D 

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Update...

No pics of the PoW cos my bro didn't have a camera that could work at that depth, but he also dived the Repulse.... photos here: https://drmike.smugmug.com/Wreck-diving/HMS-Repulse-Oct-06!

I hope u don't mind me sharing these. Someone may find them interesting and of some use!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• Clogged changed the title to 1/350 HMS Warspite