RAF Middlestone

Bruce Archer

Hi All!

I have finally run out of my Humbrol Authentic Color tins of   middlestone (MS). I have acquired several manufacturers versions of MS, and the color(s) vary quite a bit. Now I realize there was no FS system during WWII, but I have the chips and can use them to compare colors. So what FS number is close to RAF Middlestone?

Thanks!

Bruce

The venerable IPMS  Color Cross Reference Guide gives 30266 as a "very close match." I've got two bottles of hobby Mid Stone in my stash: The Aeromaster enamel is extremely close to 30266 but slightly lighter; the Model Master enamel is a bit lighter still and has slightly less red tinge.

Humbrol do - or did - a Middle Stone 225  in their standard range which is not bad. It still seems to be available.

FS 30266 is not that close but is lighter and less yellow, probably ok to represent a weathered paint surface and within typical paint variance. The gloss FS 10266 is closer in terms of pure hue.

Nick

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

I have finally run out of my Humbrol Authentic Color tins of   middlestone (MS). I have acquired several manufacturers versions of MS, and the color(s) vary quite a bit. Now I realize there was no FS system during WWII, but I have the chips and can use them to compare colors. So what FS number is close to RAF Middlestone?

If you like the Humbrol Authentic version or Mid Stone, want something similar to that, don't like other makers' interpretations,  and own an FS595 fandeck, surely the solution is to compare the fandeck to one of your existing models painted in HA Mid Stone? Or am I missing something terribly obvious?

It is not so obvious when I compared the range of colors that are produced as middle stone(from a greenish hue to what I would call yellow). I realized the color I was using may not have been correct.

Now I can choose a color (though with my track record it will soon disappear!)

Bruce

My memory of Humbrol Authentic Middle Stone is that it was a bit dark and not yellow enough. I remember having to add a fair dollop of yellow to it to get a decent contrast with Dark Earth. As Nick has mentioned Humbrol 225 is available both in enamel and acrylic, and is a good visual match against the RAFM chips.

John

22 hours ago, John said:

My memory of Humbrol Authentic Middle Stone is that it was a bit dark and not yellow enough. I remember having to add a fair dollop of yellow to it to get a decent contrast with Dark Earth. As Nick has mentioned Humbrol 225 is available both in enamel and acrylic, and is a good visual match against the RAFM chips.

John

In that case, if buying here in USA, I'd recommend the Model Master enamel rendition.