Harrier Gr1 - 1/72 - Airfix - FINISHED!

Hello All!

I'm jumping in (pun intended) with the Airfix 1/72 Harrier Gr1.

I've got the Eduard PE set for it and I'll use as much of that as seems practical, mainly for gussying up the cockpit, using the kit decals. Have the Warpaint book for reference, but I think I'll mainly be using the internets especially the Harrier SIG. 

My recent record for group builds has been a bit hit and miss so here's hoping I have time to complete this one! 

harrier.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend

Got a little bit done over the weekend. This is the the most modern plane I've ever built, the cockpits I'm used to are a bit simpler, the seat is a bit of an eye opener with 14 PE parts! I'm not a huge fan of prepainted PE as it never seems to be the right colour! Well by right colour, I mean the colour I've decided on for the cockpit. The pieces are a bit blue/green for my taste but I've misted a thin coat of the grey I used over them and it helps blend it in a bit. So far everything fits nice and hope to get the fuselage buttoned up later today.

harrier2_zpsm2h9cpgy.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been beavering away a bit, just not had a chance to post much. The kit goes together very nicely, and is certainly starting to look Harrier shaped! 

harrier3_zpscqubqnik.jpg

Also started reading the Jonathan Glancey Harrier book which is an enjoyable romp. Not too heavy going on specs and specifics but also not a complete bit of fluff with no substance either.  

Sprayed a little primer on just to check the seams, minimal sanding and filling required. Have a little bit of work to do with folding PE, one of my least favourite jobs, and she should be ready for paint this weekend. 

harrier4_zpssnpvmykw.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Work has unfortunately kept me away from the modelling bench but hopefully this weekend I'll get some paint on it! Painted a few of the bits and pieces. I was a little worried about the PE detchord on the windscreen but think it looks quite nice really. 

The pitot tube on the nose was bent before I even opened the box and rather than wait for it be knocked off at some point during painting I decided to cut it, drill it, pin it and I'll attach it later! 

Cheers

harrier5_zps8zpicpmn.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Col.!

Little more progress to report, most of the painting is done! Ending up pulling off the pylons on the wings as they were making masking tricky, luckily I hadn't used too much glue to attach them initially!

Just got to do the little olive green patch on the tail and it will be time for a gloss coat and decals!

cheers

S

harrier7_zpsbfnpdh9e.jpg

harrier6_zpsdu7fn6n5.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

good spot on the pylons, your need them off when the decals go on

Ah good call Big Stu, I hadn't even noticed that. Think sometimes I just get excited to be gluing plastic I don't always think things through!

• 3 weeks later...

Little more on this. Finally finished decalling, blimey there's a lot of stencils. Think I started going stencil blind after awhile! I don't build much modern stuff so I find the mass of stencils a little daunting! Well all 100+ of them are on now. Quick coat of matte varnish, actually modelcote matte comes out more semi gloss/satin which is pretty good. Fully matte isn't very realistic and gloss is too toylike for my tastes. As you can see here I'm using the patented Friend Industries Spraybooth 5000 2.0, if anyone wants one just drop me a line and I can give you a pretty good price, clothes peg not included. 

harrier9_zps1jkotfyp.jpg

Then one of my favourite things to do, unmasking the windscreen! I love it. And, luckily it came out nice too!

harrier8_zps8shf8zu0.jpg

Gonna leave it a couple of days to really dry and then the last few bits just need gluing on

Cheer

Segan

• Like 1