Rocket pods on RTAF AU-23A

ReccePhreak

Does anybody know what type of rocket pods are installed on these Royal Thai AF AU-23A Peacemakers?

AU-23A_w-rocket-pod_2.jpg

AU-23A_w-rocket-pod.jpg

They look like larger pods than the ones in the Roden 1/48 AU-23A kit, plus there appear to be only 4 rockets in the pod, instead of the 6 in the kit's pods..

Larry 

10 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Looks like basic LAU-10's to me.

42 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

LAU 10 without the tail and nose fairings fitted (bottom picture).

Selwyn

Thanks to both of you for that info. I wonder why the rockets stick out of the back of the pod, but not out of the front?

At least I think I have some LAU-10s in my stash.

Larry

2 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks to both of you for that info. I wonder why the rockets stick out of the back of the pod, but not out of the front?

At least I think I have some LAU-10s in my stash.

Larry

The reason is that they are just partially slid in to the tubes. they should  sit  flush with the back plate.

Selwyn

I just compared my Hasegawa 1/48 LAU-10 pods to the underwing pylons on my Roden 1/48 AU-23A, and they appear to be WAY too big.

I then thought that they might be SUU-25 flare pods, but the airman is obviously not loading a flare into the pod.

I am back to square one on wanting to add the pods to my kit.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
new info

1 minute ago, Don McIntyre said:

They probably get it in the pod, then when ready to arm, they'll go to the rear of each pod, seat the rocket fully, then hook up whatever wiring needs to be attached.

That makes sense.

However, I still have the problem of the pod (LAU-10 & kit's pod) being the wrong size for the model.

Also, based on my photos, it appears that Roden put inaccurate pylons in the kit, AND put them in the wrong locations under the wings!

That kit is now going back on the "Shelf of Doom"!

Larry

Those are either LAU-68 pods or LAU-131's. The primary difference is that the LAU-131 is updated to handle the Mk 66 motor. The LAU-68 primarily fired the old Mk 4/Mk 40 series rockets.

LAU-10 is the launcher for the much larger Zuni (5 inch) rocket.

Edited by Slater

On 2/16/2017 at 0:40 PM, Finn said:

Larry if you look at this video:

They appear to be standard 6 tube LAU pod with smoke generators in the tubes as other pics show them flying around during an airshow:

Jari

Thanks for the video link, Jari.

What was confusing me before, was only seeing 4 rockets in the pods. If I do a screen grab of the video, I might be able to figure out exactly where on the wings the pylons are supposed to be located. Then I have to either scratch build new pylons or modify the kit pylons to match the photos. The kit pylons appear to be too shallow.

Larry

4 hours ago, Slater said:

Those are either LAU-68 pods or LAU-131's. The primary difference is that the LAU-131 is updated to handle the Mk 66 motor. The LAU-68 primarily fired the old Mk 4/Mk 40 series rockets.

LAU-10 is the launcher for the much larger Zuni (5 inch) rocket.

I doubt they are LAU-68 pods as those are 71.1" long. LAU-68 & LAU-131 pods are both 10.125" in diameter, and based on the photos, they appear to be the proper length for the LAU-131 pod, which is 59.8" long.

I had set the kit aside, as i was getting frustrated with Roden's inaccuracies. Now I think I can return to working on it. Of course, I still have to replace the worthless kit barrels in the XM197 gatling gun. I plan to use a spare set of barrels from a Fujimi AH-1S Cobra.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
typo