1/35 Chieftain- FINISHED

Id like to join in with this...

IMG_2131_zpsxoycc2mf.jpg

Its the first time Iv tackled armour since I was in shorts and did the airfix HO kits

I usually do 1/48th aircraft so this will set my wires tingling at having a strange size in the collection.

Just so as its not too easy I also have this

IMG_2132_zpsts42mhiv.jpg

how much will be used will depend on how many pieces dissapear into the either and my " that -looks- good -enough" radar. Which will also be applied to paint and weathering

I have ordered an etch bender tool so will fondle plastic and make vroom vroom noises instead of neeeeeeoooooowwwwww noises until it arrives

Edited by delta7
  • Like 8

Welcome to the GB. It seems this is becoming the place to try out an AFV model for the first time :) 

That etched set looks comprehensive and will add a lot to your model. Best of good luck with this one.

• Like 1

Im wheely glad to get past this stage- wheels painted tamiya nato green, tweaked a bit to get closer to photos, and tamiya panzer grey for rubber. I got the  first bits of etch on. My photoetch tool arrived so will play with this tomorrow

IMG_2134_zpssypbfkml.jpg

• Like 4

ok got some painting done - some green on some green- all pieces are nato green in photo even if it looks like there are 10 shades there :wonder: and tracks primed.

IMG_2135_zpsffea672n.jpg

as you can see I bent a few brass bits but really wonder why I bothered - 

IMG_2140_zpsgwil8v83.jpg

for the life of me I cant see what the brass adds to the kit piece it is ment to replace. unless its a size issue as the brass is slightly larger , however my good enough radar is at 11 out of 10 and the effort for the kit pieces are about a 20th of brass - if anyone knows why I need this brass then answers on a postcard please to the usual address

Edited by delta7
  • Like 2

bottom hull completed - 

IMG_2141_zpsdabbvdlv.jpg

I found out why I should have used the eduard set, the tamiya boxes are hollow so I will use the brass as a template and make a base

IMG_2144_zps56euotnx.jpg

next onto the top hull and there are some usefull bits to add here from eduard set

That micro lens is so unforgivving, looks like missing paint, injection marks and damaged wheels but not really noticable on the kit and will all be repaired /covered at the weathering stage

Edited by delta7
  • Like 1

stilll.........................................................doing................................................etch..............................................:hourglass:........................nearly finished top hull will post pics when finished this section

• Like 1

quick update- still fitting brass but to relieve boredom I have started assembling the turret and painted the tracks

here is state of play just now

IMG_2148_zps2u5c0bgj.jpg

turret will need some joins tidying up especially on base

IMG_2149_zps6nvuvbqd.jpg

Edited by delta7
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks a multi-media model looks great with all the different component material colours unpainted? Sure all the etched-brass work will be worth it Delta ;) 

• Like 1

base colours on

IMG_2152_zpsdzbw6qug.jpg

green is tamya nato green sprayed on, black is 50:50 tamiya german grey to black brushed freehand. wrapped tissue round gun barell and painted tamiya tan. 

next up is to future it , paint the details and then ....... dun ...dun....dun .....weathering.

The reason for doing this build is to try out some of the weathering techniques I have read about and seen online. I will see how it goes but it will be a bit muddy tho

Edited by delta7
  • Like 6

great stuff coming on a treat, i find also that some pe,and occasionally resin parts don't  bring any thing to the party and i pick and choose what to add off the frets ,good stuff though

glynn       

• Like 1

I have had some time to spend on this and here is the state of play.... weathering is by tamiya and highlights by a diluted tamiya smoke wash. I will do some chipping effects and then flat cote it.

I think mud effects are ok but happy to take any suggestions on improving it

t.IMG_2154_zpseil0wjrm.jpg

IMG_2155_zpsyfhses47.jpgIMG_2156_zpsultmwf7f.jpg

IMG_2157_zpsqkpswwci.jpg

• Like 6