RN Type 21 Frigate - FINISHED

Well done on getting the PE rails placed. Going by the scale of your cutting mat markings they must be tiny and rather fiddly :blink:

• 1 month later...

Well unfortunately the image server I was using is dead and I don't really have time to go back and replace all the images in this thread.

I finally got to do a little work tonight - my mother in law is in town with all the predictable impacts that has on daily life. Tonight she & my wife went out and after my kid fell asleep I put the last PE on my frigate. It's getting pretty close to done now. MIL leaves Sunday so I think I can easily finish this up (and my T-55) by the end of the GB.

These are just cellphone shots.

20170526_211700_resized.jpg

20170526_211735_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Really all it needs now is the funnel to be painted, the last PE railings to be painted, the lifeboats added, and then I think I will make some tiny antenna for the top of the bridge area. I also have to paint the Seacat launcher at the back. I couldn't find the Wasp I thought came with my Airfix Leander model so I left the flight deck railings up. The kit comes with a Lynx which doesn't fit the GB theme though I can put it on afterwards. 

And, of course, the decals. ...

If you look closely at the second image you can see the Exocet blast shields I scratchbuilt. Other than that it's OOB.

Seeing the pair of tweezers next to this makes me realise the effort put in on such tiny parts. Very impressive going, well played!

Thanks - I gotta say that (a) the PE really makes a difference and (b) it's really small! I had to wear a headlamp to brighten everything up just so I could actually see what I was doing.

It was probably a mistake thinking I could paint the railings after I put them on, but I did half that way and half the other (ie prepainted) to decide which way works for me best.

My frigate is just about ready to set sail. The markings and all the parts are on except for the final sensor things that go on the two masts. I left these til very last because I am going to use PE for them from the WEM PE Royal Navy set - the ones for ships in that set which i don't have. It's going to be hard! 

The next time you see this thing, it will be in the gallery....I hope.

Once again, these are cellphone shots. 

20170601_152443_resized.jpg

20170601_152532_resized.jpg

20170601_152436_resized.jpg

20170601_152503_resized.jpg

20170601_152555_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Actually the little break I took to post the above pics cleared my eyes enough to get out the PE set:

20170601_162420_resized.jpg

And give it a go:

20170601_160039_resized.jpg

That antenna actually belongs on HMS Daring or Tiger, and strictly speaking the diagonal beams should start from the bottom. But it is SO SMALL that I'm not going to worry about it. It actually looks pretty good once you get them both on.

20170601_162357_resized.jpg

Amazingly with my cellphone I can bring you this close up.

20170601_162347_resized.jpg

Yes that's a Wessex on the flight deck, and yes I know (or assume) a Wessex couldn't land there. Just mucking around.

• Like 2

Well, I'm calling this thing finished. I'll try to take some decent photos before the end of the GB, but here are a couple on my phone. I doubt those little aerials will last long. A sneeze would knock the whole ship over so a butterfly going past outside will probably deal with the aerials...

All in all a fun build and actually the first ship I've finished since I was about 15. Also my first ever go with PE.

20170606_003228_resized.jpg

20170606_003253_resized.jpg

I think this ship is the entire NATO naval force in this Group Build ... and apparently there's nothing to fire those Exocets at!

• Like 3

Lovely job , i have a couple of cyber hobby  1/700 ship kits in the stash,and i might get some of this pe for them now I've seen yours she's turned out  super