This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Markie Smizzle

Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2

45 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, clipper said:

 

By her naval architect, Stephen Payne no less. But remember she had a refit adding cabins up top last year. And I see in his month's 'Ships Monthly', etc there is a new book by him on the QE2.

 

Think it was here we'd a good debate about her actual hull colour, search it out - it is Cunard Federal Grey!

 

ps The pdf Revell manual is here as product/kit # 05223  https://www.revell.de/en/service/download-area.html  (bookmark that one for future reference) and the direct download https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/05223_%23BAU_QUEEN_MARY_2.PDF (4.55Mb)

 

 

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably get it on payday, I LOVE the QE2 also, so I'm interested in those literatures. I have downloaded the instructions already, but I don't have access to printer without the local library helping. So Cunard Federal Grey...I'm guessing that is equivalent to a very very dark charcoal grey? I have seen Vallejo 71056 Black Grey

 

20 minutes ago, clipper said:

 

I got mine from Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong - great service, very well wrapped and here within a week http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/pgx5uwwiahco7pbkofmg.html Getting expensive though.

(It's a PE set for the 1:400 AIDA DIVA/ BLU, etc that is like hens teeth, revell #00717, so if you ever see it nab it for me, thanks!)

 

AW50028A.jpg

 

Thanks for that, I'm guessing it came to about £60 posted? I'll look into it on payday also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Markie Smizzle said:

 

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably get it on payday, I LOVE the QE2 also, so I'm interested in those literatures. I have downloaded the instructions already, but I don't have access to printer without the local library helping. So Cunard Federal Grey...I'm guessing that is equivalent to a very very dark charcoal grey? I have seen Vallejo 71056 Black Grey

 

 

Thanks for that, I'm guessing it came to about £60 posted? I'll look into it on payday also

 

Checking back, it was GBP £37.16 at the time (12/12/15) with the better exchange rate, and 5.23 for airmail delivery.

Best read the thread for the paint colour debate! The Heller/Airfix kit gives Humbrol Matt Navy Blue M77 & SATIN COAL BLACK at 10:1. 

 

Edited by clipper
additions
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice link Clipper, but there is a plain sheet available somewhere which is just scale planking, iirc it came in 1/700 and either 1/400 or 1/350 scale lasered plank width pattern. Ideal for doing the bits not covered by the dedicated deck sets such as the balconies along the sides of QM2.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should there not be enough spare on these dedicated Artworx sheets (there's 2 in the packet mind) after use? Probably 4 runs each side of that lower section :-)

 

1452cca93ac109f487d95f2faf72ff3c.image.9

 

Edited by clipper
addition
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with the dedicated sets is that the plank pattern is only on the deck panels themselves,  it would be nice if the pattern continued onto the offcuts too. It doesn't matter how carefully you try to do it Yourself,  you always get a couple that taper and spoil the look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though it was using the spare 'left overs' for the wooden top rails we were talking about? The printed lines not required. But obviously they'd have to be stained a wee bit or even varnished, like the originals !

Edited by clipper
changes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, no, I'm on about the floors on the balconies but I see what you mean. Yes, the offcuts are useful for that. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this build coming along? I bought one of these myself because of this and Johnny Akes' build. It appears to be a hard kit to find though - especially given how recently it was released

 

Did you get the PE set? Looking at the sprue shots, they seem like an almost needful addition. Kudos to Revell though for producing some very thin plastic for the railings, but alas, it is still over scaled.

 

Really looking forward to starting mine but in the mean time, I will be happy to be watching yours come along

Regards

Simon

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 11:25 AM, Madhatter said:

How is this build coming along? I bought one of these myself because of this and Johnny Akes' build. It appears to be a hard kit to find though - especially given how recently it was released

 

Did you get the PE set? Looking at the sprue shots, they seem like an almost needful addition. Kudos to Revell though for producing some very thin plastic for the railings, but alas, it is still over scaled.

 

Really looking forward to starting mine but in the mean time, I will be happy to be watching yours come along

Regards

Simon

 

I have the Gold Medal Models etched set Hatter, me old chum, it is so beautiful that I'm going to hate cutting it up one day!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jockster said:

I have the Gold Medal Models etched set Hatter, me old chum, it is so beautiful that I'm going to hate cutting it up one day!

yeah nice! I am still waiting for mine to come into stock. I've ordered it, but now it's a waiting game

I would order directly from GMM but their ordering system is way to convoluted for my liking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean, I've tried ordering direct but found it so much easier to go elsewhere. Worth the wait though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 3/8/2017 at 11:25 AM, Madhatter said:

How is this build coming along? I bought one of these myself because of this and Johnny Akes' build. It appears to be a hard kit to find though - especially given how recently it was released

 

Did you get the PE set? Looking at the sprue shots, they seem like an almost needful addition. Kudos to Revell though for producing some very thin plastic for the railings, but alas, it is still over scaled.

 

Really looking forward to starting mine but in the mean time, I will be happy to be watching yours come along

Regards

Simon

 

Hi Simon,

 

Unfortunately, the build has stalled at the moment, due to lack of funds for new paint, and lack of time commitments. I'm hoping to get started again in the next week or two. The only difference between what I last posted and up to now, is that I have primed her with white primer.

 

20170315_115817.jpg

Edited by Markie Smizzle
to upload a picture
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just glad to hear you haven't given up on it.

I'm expecting mine to arrive in the next day or so and I must say, from the images I've seen of this, it is a beautiful looking kit. I really cant wait to start it. I am intending to do full lighting on mine as I think this kit deserves it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Madhatter said:

I'm just glad to hear you haven't given up on it.

I'm expecting mine to arrive in the next day or so and I must say, from the images I've seen of this, it is a beautiful looking kit. I really cant wait to start it. I am intending to do full lighting on mine as I think this kit deserves it.

Mine would have been a pleasure to build so far, but for it being neglected for so long. Parts have snapped off, some re-attached, some lost to eternity. If not for a lack of time and money at the moment, she would be quite far ahead of where she is now. I've been contemplating the progress of a 1/72 Airfix Harrier GR9 as I have everything I need for that kit, just got put aside as my friend who owns this kit wanted to build it during our friend time lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Parts have snapped off, some re-attached, some lost to eternity.

Let me know which parts you have lost and I may be able to cast the originals for you from my kit (provided they are not too complex that is).

If it's the railings, I should be able to send you the whole lot as I have the PE set as replacements

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 5:07 AM, Madhatter said:

I'm just glad to hear you haven't given up on it.

I'm expecting mine to arrive in the next day or so and I must say, from the images I've seen of this, it is a beautiful looking kit. I really cant wait to start it. I am intending to do full lighting on mine as I think this kit deserves it.

Would you leave it upside down like in the above pic? Looks like it would make a great looking starship. Not to give you any ideas...:lalala:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 2:10 AM, Madhatter said:

Let me know which parts you have lost and I may be able to cast the originals for you from my kit (provided they are not too complex that is).

If it's the railings, I should be able to send you the whole lot as I have the PE set as replacements

It's hard to explain, but on the curvature of the stern, there are long oval shaped gaps. There is a link missing. It can be scratch built, but it's still an inconvenience.

 

On 3/18/2017 at 0:57 AM, Thom216 said:

Would you leave it upside down like in the above pic? Looks like it would make a great looking starship. Not to give you any ideas...:lalala:

Ha, I would but my imagination isn't great this time of year ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2017 at 7:09 AM, Markie Smizzle said:

20170216_190110.jpg

 

Is that the part your referring to? As you say, it should be easy enough to scratch up

I am itching to start mine. Once the PE and wood deck sets arrive, I will be starting it. It's such a beautiful looking ship

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madhatter said:

Is that the part your referring to? As you say, it should be easy enough to scratch up

I am itching to start mine. Once the PE and wood deck sets arrive, I will be starting it. It's such a beautiful looking ship

Oh yes, that's the one! I forgot I took a photo of it. My memory is like a sieve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now