Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2

5 hours ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Hi B.M, thanks for checking by with your kind comments. Progress has been a little slow lately, but that is because airbrushing this ship takes FOREVER, and the amount of masking required is also like pulling my teeth out.

On a more positive positive, the decks are all now painted, and I'm currently on painting the white parts of the super structure. I've been on the hunt for OHP plastic sheets to use as windows which I'm going to slightly tint black, as to create an illusion of a darker room behind. I'm also about to start the painting of the balconies of said super structure, and as I only get a limited amount of time per week/fortnight to do that, it will be another while before she finally takes shape.

I will post pictures when it starts to resemble QM2, and not as it currently is, as an empty hull painted black, white and red.

I noticed that they were online for about £80? Good luck with your titanic, I have one in 1/400 which I want to light up and have figured on it in water, I haven't a Scooby doo about anything like that so it will be a superbuild for me.

Yep, £80 seems to be the going rate.  Bit too much so I held out and got one for £60.  Box was a bit tatty but the contents are still mint so i’m happy enough.

Will get the photo etch set but I’m not sure about the wood decks.  More a cost thing.  Would like to air brush mine but I need to invest in all the kit and build my skills on a couple of cheap kits.. Maybe the small scale QM2.

I’ve rushed my Titanic a bit but the QM2 i’ll take my time over.

• Like 1

Markie... If you need any new parts for your QM2, there is one just come up on eBay in factory fresh (except the box) condition at a (currently) stupidly low price.  A while to go on it but i’m going to keep an eye on it.

Tempted to give mine the ‘remastered’ treatment as Cunard puts it and make mine as she is now.  May get that kit as a spare in case I goof.

Edited by BluesModeller
  • Like 1

Hello Gents,

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have had a mix of being busy settling into self employment, and masking this massive model.

I have finally moved forward a step or two with this build, mainly having painted the first few decks and placing the rear windows into their frames. I didn't realise they should have been tinted when fitting, I'll probably correct that later when I get onto the balconies and bridge windows. Trying to colour in the window frames were a right pain. I'm also going to fill in the swimming pools with either resin or PVA glue.

20170929_225508.jpg

20170929_225120.jpg

20170929_225541.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I have a little more progress for you to feast your eyes upon!

In the time I've been offline from here, I've fixed the Stern decks, and windows in place.

20171101_225957.jpg

I've also attached the apartments, and have the larger balconies in place.

20171110_214626.jpg

20171111_122858.jpg

Tomorrow, and a couple of other days through the week, I have the intention of finishing the tinting of the smaller balconies, and then colouring in the railings before attaching. I also plan to attach the other tinted windows, mainly those along the lifeboat deck. I will also be measuring out some clear acetate and tinting that before attaching the front of the megastructure, Bridge, and top decks.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone.

I have found some time to make a little more progress, and I'm pleased to say She's taking shape nicely. The fit on parts of this particular kit weren't particularly that great, I think with it previously being kept in an environment which got hot and cold has warped it in places. Nevertheless I am pushing through with clamps of various sizes.

20171229_141415.jpg

I'll be investing in some EZ-Line for the mast, then cracking on with the top decks including the funnel. While I'm waiting for that to arrive, I'm going to try and create some windows for the bridge with Humbrol Clearfix

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 10:41 PM, stevej60 said:

Look's superb Mark,great work!

On 12/30/2017 at 11:02 AM, Kris B said:

Looking good. 

Thanks Guys. I can't wait to finish it!

On 12/30/2017 at 1:26 PM, BluesModeller said:

Is the upper superstructure just the original white plastic or painted?

Looks super sharp either way and is going to look fantastic when completed.

Yeah it has all been painted with Vallejo Air White. There are a few touch ups to do here and there, but otherwise it's all painted. I've just assembled the funnel, and I'm waiting for my friend who is a master with masking tape to come and mask the black stripes on the funnel tonight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening.

I found myself with an unexpected day off today due to snow. So what could I do other than get some valuable bench time in?. Today has been mainly spent painting and assembling the smaller lifeboats, installing their davits and applying a few decals.

2m7aqom.jpg

I did what I could with shaky hands and a headache, I couldn't quite get all the widows painted, and the kit wanted silver windows, but I prefer it black.

110ykgg.jpg

All of the smaller lifeboats in their hopefully now permanent residence.

11avdpu.jpg

Decals for the sport courts placed down, and some of the top structure held in place.

29ux7xy.jpg

Another view before I attached the lifeboats and radomes shows the model so far including the recently completed funnel.

2n7qyon.jpg

And here she is at the end of this afternoons session. I might assemble the other life boats after dinner, if not at the weekend. The structures on the top deck are currently only dry fitted, so I can get a feel and sneak peak of what she looks like. I dare say she's looking better after every session.

s2h54m.jpg

Thank you for looking.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Latest progress as of last night

Setting the mast in place with CA glue and a helping hand

2yzlkwz.jpg

@Chris Calland Repairing my feeble attempt at the earlier scratchbuilt effort on the stern

2s82y6h.jpg

The fruits of his labour - I can't seem to get the hosting site to stop rotating my photos, apologies.

2lm99wk.jpg

side on shot showing the mast, funnel structures and the progress as a whole so far. It's getting there now, only the fences and smaller details to go before decalling, and then hopefully completion.

sl7fra.jpg

Regards,

@Chris Calland & @Markie Smizzle

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Waterline decals being fitted

242wi2f.jpg

Top deck attachments finally being fixed into place

287n8za.jpg

Side view of her in all of her majesty

15s54b8.jpg

Aft deck fences and pools painted and built up

vvpl5.jpg

Propellers added for good measure

fwki9l.jpg

A fair bit of progress has taken place lately, and apart from a few decals, touch ups and rigging, she's all but finished.

20180227_222316.jpg%22%20alt=%2220180227

Hopefully by the end of next week I will be posting pics of her in the completed kits section :):):)

I'm not allowed to finish it without the owner of the kit, @Chris Calland:P

Thanks for looking and for your input everyone

• Like 5

10 hours ago, clipper said:

Rails on ships :-)

Okay, all but a few pieces of railings/rails are in place :P

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's superb Mark,I think I can see the thing from my house!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol yeah I wouldn't be surprised if you could. It weighs an absolute tonne as well. I'm going to try and join a model club before Tynemouth show too, so I can bring her along with a WiP booklet of what it looked like when I got it, through to how it is now.

9 hours ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Okay, all but a few pieces of railings/rails are in place :P

Lol yeah I wouldn't be surprised if you could. It weighs an absolute tonne as well. I'm going to try and join a model club before Tynemouth show too, so I can bring her along with a WiP booklet of what it looked like when I got it, through to how it is now.

There's a club in Washington which a few of the BM massive belong,Beefy I know is one.

• Like 1

I,m not Mark shift's alway's used to conflict with their night's,the guy's at Langley moor are a canny bunch used to meet a couple now and then at Models4hobby

when I called in,I'm off for a week from saturday if you get a minute get my number from Greg and pop in for a coffee and a tour of the loft the collection

is all out on shelves now!

• Like 1