Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2

Hi All,

My friend gave me his model kit, after it had been sitting atop his kitchen units for nearly a decade. I have so far stripped as much paint as I could, and given it a deep clean to remove all dirt and grease. Next steps will be filling in some cracks in the plastic, then priming her

20170212_220449.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, EJS said:

What year was that kit issued?

I posted mine up in 2012 and from memory I think it had been out a year or two by then.

(Thanks for resurrecting my RFI post Markie - over 4 years between comments! I wonder if that is some kind of BM record?:D)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johnny akes said:

I posted mine up in 2012 and from memory I think it had been out a year or two by then.

(Thanks for resurrecting my RFI post Markie - over 4 years between comments! I wonder if that is some kind of BM record?:D)

Haha maybe it is! I found it on Google, then just had to comment. It's awesome! I have the 1/700 version too, after all, she's my favourite ocean liner after the QE2

Artwox do the deck, Gold Medal Models do etched brass details such as railings and ladders and the Eduard figures are a good bet.

Enjoy, it's a great kit.

Plenty of reference books out there too.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jockster said:

Artwox do the deck, Gold Medal Models do etched brass details such as railings and ladders and the Eduard figures are a good bet.

Enjoy, it's a great kit.

Plenty of reference books out there too.

Thanks for that, I will make a wish list ready for payday. I had seen a guy who built it who was in a Hellenic group, had figures, and used resin to fill the swimming pools. Something I also wish to try

If you feel really adventurous, you can get sheets of plain planked deck to cut up for all the balconies. If you get the Artwox deck, keep the film that covers the adhesive side, you can put that on top of the deck as a mask to keep it clean during your build!

There is a Haynes manual for the Queen Mary 2.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jockster said:

If you feel really adventurous, you can get sheets of plain planked deck to cut up for all the balconies. If you get the Artwox deck, keep the film that covers the adhesive side, you can put that on top of the deck as a mask to keep it clean during your build!

It seems very hard to get hold of! pretty much everywhere is out of stock. I think I'll just go with paint and wash. It's more work, but isn't that why we love our hobby so much? ^_^

19 minutes ago, Jockster said:

You may already know this but if you have the bow thruster doors open then have the stabiliser fins retracted and vice versa. 

:popcorn:

Yeah thanks for the heads up, it was my friend who wanted them open, as it's his model, but I get to build and keep it. I'm not complaining at all 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Hi Steve, it is indeed.

Yea,I declined it life's too short,mind I did walk away with the 1/32 Heinkel I have a WIP going but not touched it for a few week's

as I'm busy with the Chieftan for the NATO gb!

5 hours ago, Markie Smizzle said:

Ha I don't blame you. Gregg told me that you managed to persuade him away from it on one of your last visits. He also said he'll drop off the instruction manual at your house for me or Chris to collect, so I will be able to catch you face to face for a change.

No probs Mark,a tour of the loft may be in order,just rotated the exhibit's!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

No probs Mark,a tour of the loft may be in order,just rotated the exhibit's!

Ah you legend! I don't think I've been up there since 2005. The living room is our display area, which you're also privy to.

I have sanded the ship seams down and I have the bridge tower to do, as I snapped it back off this afternoon. I need to try and reinforce it if you know how to? I was thinking of using some sprue behind it

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:58 PM, Jockster said:

By her naval architect, Stephen Payne no less. But remember she had a refit adding cabins up top last year. And I see in his month's 'Ships Monthly', etc there is a new book by him on the QE2.

Think it was here we'd a good debate about her actual hull colour, search it out - it is Cunard Federal Grey!

ps The pdf Revell manual is here as product/kit # 05223  https://www.revell.de/en/service/download-area.html  (bookmark that one for future reference) and the direct download https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/05223_%23BAU_QUEEN_MARY_2.PDF (4.55Mb)

Edited by clipper
links

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, Jockster said:

That's certainly true Markie, I cannot remember where I got my planked sheet from but I do remember that I had trouble tracking some down.

I got mine from Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong - great service, very well wrapped and here within a week http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/pgx5uwwiahco7pbkofmg.html Getting expensive though.

(It's a PE set for the 1:400 AIDA DIVA/ BLU, etc that is like hens teeth, revell #00717, so if you ever see it nab it for me, thanks!)

AW50028A.jpg

• Like 1