Airfix 1:72 Vulcan

This is my recently completed (though I may well add some more decals and a wee bit of weathering) 1:72 Airfix Vulcan XL390. Decided to go for the 70s Scampton scheme, and bought the aftermarket decals. Model is finished with a gloss cote as they liked to keep the Vulcans' shiny at that time.

This has been the biggest project I have done (newbe 4 models in) and found the 80's plastic a challenge to work with, I seemed to spend weeks scraping plastic off and the intakes were a 2 week process of file > sand  > paint > file > sand > paint x n to get them as smooth as I could. This was the first time I had modifies a model to get the desired finish too, filing the tail to round it.

There's much I am pleased with, and also lots I tend to over reflect on. I know this is isn't as professional looking as most that is published here 'as finished', but some of us are simply mortal in the world of model making ;)

32098794153_de52aecffd_k.jpg

32789848601_705bf1b059_c.jpg

32098783363_43b5b2a379_c.jpg

• Like 31

Crivvens!  Is this seriously only your fourth model?  Superb work.  It looks great.  I am rather fond of this scheme.  It always reminds me of Thunderball and, when I must have been about five years old, my dad and I walked up to a five bar gate the other side of which was a row of shiny Vulcans just like this.  I think it must have been Scampton. 

Welcome to the Mad House!!

That is a great looking Vulcan and very nicely finished.  As already stated, you have been brave going for the old Airfix Vulcan, many on here (myself included) would be happy to leave it on the shelf or at the bottom of the stash....!!!  To attempt it, put the hard work in and have such a nice build at the end of it suggests that you have a bright future in model making.

Keep up the good work, reward yourself with a nice and easy build for the next one!!

Phil

21 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Reminds me of Thunderball.

resized_aaee5517-3d66-40be-90b4-21553fdb

Did you mention the James Bond film Thunderball Meatbox......................

I just happened to see this 1/200 diorama at the Huddersfield show last weekend.

Adrian

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1