I remember building the earlier Jag A from KH here just after it came out, and quite enjoyed it. :) As long as you keep your wits about you and don't assume things will fit perfectly, and check your refs on occasion (I blithely installed both supplied APUs until someone pointed it out), it'll be a great model once you're done.  I don't even notice the slightly concave leading edge on the inner wing panel anymore :shrug:

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I remember building the earlier Jag A from KH here just after it came out, and quite enjoyed it. :) As long as you keep your wits about you and don't assume things will fit perfectly, and check your refs on occasion (I blithely installed both supplied APUs until someone pointed it out), it'll be a great model once you're done.  I don't even notice the slightly concave leading edge on the inner wing panel anymore :shrug:

Indeed, once you get past the fiddly fitting of the internal wells etc, its something of a triumph and straightforward after that. The trimming/sanding of bits in most cases ends with a really snug fit too which is more than can be said for the poor old Airfix/Revell Jag.

The most annoying error I found with the GR1/3 KH was the pylons and the decals - the lack of the/printed in red distinctive walkway ones in particular. I might have some spares of those if required Mr Science. :)

Just now, SoftScience said:

Would said red walkways be on the Revell Jaguar sheet?

I'm seeing an ever better argument in support of purchasing one.

All the decals are present and as far as I can see, correct on the Revell sheet. I noticed tonight that they do a really good job of covering the stencils for the BL755 cluster bombs too. The Airfix sheet though has 2 sets of the walkways, differing slightly to suit the Ecuador version, but passable for a second Jag, however theyre not as nice overall as the Revell sheet and not as thorough for the BL755s. The Airfix ones do go down well though, even the walkway ones with that large transparent area - I suffered no silvering unlike others have found with the Model Alliance versions of said stickers.

There may be good pictures of each Revell and Airfix sheets online, if not, gimme a shout and Ill stick some up so you can see whats what before making a decision.

Actually, Bodmin has kindly shown the Airfix sheet in his first post -

And  the Revell sheet can be seen pretty well here - http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=10260

Being the 70s, you also have the option of the LAG underside or the full wraparound camo. I hope you choose the right one... ;)  Pretty certain the markings didnt change between the schemes, so no worries there.

Any thoughts on boomy bits? Perhaps a recce version? Check squadron decals for the latter though, it was 2 sqn and 41 sqn I think that took photos from Jags.

Edited by RMP2

10 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Haven't thought much about things under the wings, yet. Tentative plan was to emulate the aircraft that landed on the roadway. Centerline tank and an iron bomb on each pylon.

I already swiped the cluster bombs for another build.

Oooh, I like that approach to boomy bits.

The KH BL755s with the (more correct, non-deployed) Airfix/Revell fins makes for a decentish looking thing, if a little fat. Think KH only included 2 of them, but with the Revell decals theyd look great on a 104....

The yellow looks pretty close to me. If its any help though, I used Humbrol 81 over a black primer to try to help with shadows and whatnot.

P1090873%20Medium.jpg

Bare in mind that very little will be seen unless youre planning on opening it all up of course.

• Like 2

Theres my build thread that I think I posted somewhere in this GB. Its not a complete build, but its here - (along with a load of waffle and thread wandering....)

Edited by RMP2

My build is here.

the kit is a bit of a chore but it does turn out OK . Poor decals and improper pylons are the biggest issues IMHO. Fit is not great , as you've found, but there is nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of patience

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Jaguar build is back on track now. Thanks to RMP and Calum's build threads, I was able to find a good approach for installing the gear legs. This is where I'm at now. 

IMG_20170319_212656305_HDR.jpg

The legs are just painted ghost gray for now. I'll do detail painting later, as I fear they'll get knocked about a bit during the rest of construction. 

I added a wash to the bays, but still have done no detail painting. Still need to figure out which I'll leave open, and what will be visible, etc. No use adding details where none will be seen. 

Speaking of detail: here is the avionics bay up close. Not super realistic, but I like how it looks. 

IMG_20170319_212644678_HDR.jpg

I got one more gear leg to finish, and then onto the gun bays. I'll be leaving at least one open. Maybe both, depending on door fit. 

• Like 5

Today was finally the day that I started gluing the two fuselage halves together. Only started, because the fit is so poor that I'm gluing it one bit at a time, in the hopes of avoiding major steps. Gaps I can fill, while steps just slow everything down.

Here is the very sloppy looking, but now sturdy, belly.

IMG_20170326_213141651_HDR.jpg

And the still unglued spine. But hey, at least it's standing (and straight), on its own three legs.

IMG_20170326_213210355_HDR.jpg

More to come.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

I took it as a general statement. 

Yeah, it's just a frustrating model.

I cut my teeth on old Airfix and Monogram kits, some if which didn't fit well, so no big fuss there. But none of those models cost me a fraction of what I paid for this.

And poor fit there was moulding error. This one is just stupidly designed.

Have heard a lot of similar criticism directed toward Kittyhawk stuff. Their reputation for poor accuracy and bad design means I've not bothered with any of the kits regardless of how cool the subjects are :( 

• Like 1