F-4C Phantom II color

Plumbum

My references are not handy at the moment, but I believe, but am not 100% certain, that they were the same color gray used on US Navy aircraft of the period: Light Gull Gray (FS 595A: 26440) with white (FS 595A: 27875) undersides and control surfaces.

Edited by Space Ranger
Typo
  • Like 1

That is correct.  USAF F-4s initially flew in navy colors until the South East Asia (Vietnam) color scheme came into use.  Note though that the air refueling door on the spine should be painted in day-glo red.  It was definitely dropped by the time the SEA scheme came into use, but not sure how long it stayed on the navy colored jets.

Later,

Dave

• Like 2

As above. The FS27875 was called Insignia White. It's not the same colour as the WW2 Insignia White though.

Light Gull Gray is a pretty common colour though. It's sometimes quoted as FS26440 or FS16440 - the former being satin and the latter being full gloss. The same applies for the underside.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

As above. The FS27875 was called Insignia White. It's not the same colour as the WW2 Insignia White though.

Light Gull Gray is a pretty common colour though. It's sometimes quoted as FS26440 or FS16440 - the former being satin and the latter being full gloss. The same applies for the underside.

Thanks for the confirmation. Love Colo(u)rcoats paint!

M117's, napalm, rocket pods, AIM-9B's, AIM-7D's. You will need the straight edge US Navy style inboard pylons, and an adapter if you want to hang a TER under it. Also, Hypersonic does the earlier type wing tanks. If you really care about details, these F-4C's had the Mk.5 seat instead of the later Mk.7's, though I'm not sure if anyone did these as aftermarket.

Note that all leading edges had the metallic corroguard coating.

• Like 2

Thanks, my kit has Navy pylons also. I am wanting a load out similar to the OPs picture.

Where do I get a MER for the center line station in aftermarket? I am thinking that load

out is eight 750 pounders.--John

Hasegawa weapons set, or, more detailed and nicer, Eduard. If you want to fit a MER on the centreline, you will need a spacer between the belly pylon and the MER. Just some strip of styrene, sanded to shape so that the MER angles slightly downwards at the front, and some sway braces will look decent enough.

Edited by Creepy Pete

36 minutes ago, Johnv said:

Where do I get a MER for the center line station in aftermarket?

Creepy Pete beat me to it! So as a consolation prize I offer this image of a Martin-Baker Mk 5 ejection seat:

Mk%205_zpsf1u1m6uq.jpg

Edited by Space Ranger
Add image.