rob85

54 minutes ago, Hook said:

Here you go:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b24_31.html

HTH,

And

You have got to love BM, cheers Hook!

Rob

p.s. And.... what :) only joking I'm sure that's short for Andy? Or other names that start with And.

p.p.s Nick it's nice to have you lurking on the forums, I know you're there! Hope you well :) 

Edited by rob85

Great subject choice Rob and I`ll be following with interest,...... I have a few RAF Libs planned myself for the future plus a RCAF Coastal Lib with a huge face painted on the nose. ,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Great subject choice Rob and I`ll be following with interest,...... I have a few RAF Libs planned myself for the future plus a RCAF Coastal Lib with a huge face painted on the nose. ,

Cheers

Tony

I'm looking forward to seeing those Tony!

Rob

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rob85 said:

p.s. And.... what :) only joking I'm sure that's short for Andy? Or other names that start with And.

I meant to type 'Andre' - no idea what happened there. :) 

Incidentally, I have the same B-24 as an option on DutchDecal sheet  72059

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I meant to type 'Andre' - no idea what happened there. :) 

Incidentally, I have the same B-24 as an option on DutchDecal sheet  72059

Cheers,

Andre 

Well Andre (sorry for calling you Andy, not that I have anything against Andy or Andrews, some of my best friends are Andy') I look forward to your build of it :) 

you seam rather keen on Dutch subjects, is there a reason or just the float your boat?

Rob

43 minutes ago, ROBOT said:

Cool build, I don't see a B 24 too often here around!! Cool background story, too!

Will watch this space for shure,

Thanks for sharing your build,

Olli

Cheers Olli, your right about the B-24, probably due to size and the bloody price of the things!

nice to have you along.

Rob

Hello Dears,

I'll take a seat in a corner, bring on some beer and Watch...

I've a project, no so original for building "Nan" with the dustbin radar and rockets winglets.

The base will be the 1/48 Monogram, my friend is finishing his own CC Lib'

Hope that he will come up to BM, lots of curiosities to show up.

I'll support you Rob, go on and good luck.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

I have been working on this on and off for the last few days, and here is where she is at so far.

internals are in and glued, they have now received a dry brush to lighten this colour, i did this with Tamiyas sand.

32596514910_4a5aa5cdff_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

dry brushed

33021719765_53f1521804_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32980058956_f3eeb702bc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32866257412_d0bd8d5610_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32639564800_6fd850cfc9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the nose section is a nice fit, but will need a little bit of sanding to blend it in a bit more with the main body of the aircraft.

then i glued the wings together...

32206501463_e3de240de4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

only to find out last night that i had forgotten to paint the wheel well! i ended up cutting them apart which was a bit risky but it worked out OK

33040025285_b7e8e4c175_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32694849700_0185204091_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the internals are more a kin in colour to the wheel wells but for some reason have come out quite dark in the above pic's.

lastly i have started work on the upper turret.

32688182720_76651135de_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

still a bit of painting to do to make them look a bit more realistic...

after that I got distracted by finding a tape of saving private ryan! god they take so long to rewind! such a good film, very few have come close in my opinion.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 8

Cheers giemme, I am rather pleased with how they turned out... I may lighter the internals a bit more and add belts, I will be using a vac form canopy for this so visibility should be good so hopefully having a higher contrast in there and the bomb aimer's dig should make it stand out a bit more. 

I spent last night flattening lead pellets while watching Gotham.... I have looked at other builds and not enough nose weight has been an issue, I think it was bill @Navy Bird who ended up putting weights in the engines to stop it tail sitting? It's a cracking build if you haven't seen it already, very much worth a look!

anyway, I have now made a compartment out of milliput and rammed it full of squashed lead.... however my fear drove me to ad another, probably landing gear shattering, compartment in the furthest forward section of the bomb bay.... 

I will let this go off all day and then paint it Matt black so it can be hidden in the shadows..... like Batman!

Rob

• Like 4

Haha! You've let Gotham influence your paint choices :lol:. Very cool movie.

Very nice save on the wheel

wells Rob. The lighter brushing of the internals is also a nice technique.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the vac canopy turns out.

This is moving along quickly for a very big 4 engined bomber.

Great stuff :thumbsup2: .

TonyT

• Like 1

here is what the nose weight looks like, not very interesting! 

I started with this

32921638572_cf03dac897_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

that is a little milliput parcel full of squashed lead pellets, than the fear of tail sitting drove me to this!

33077632235_a5739463e3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

one day the UC will just collapse but at least it won't sit on its tail when is does!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 6

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

For a number of reasons I have more time on my hands Tony, which helps to get work done!

I hope they are reasons you approve of...

That's a lot of nose weight! On my Privateer recently I got away with just some chunks of lead around the front undercarriage well, but I guess Consolidated lengthened the nose just to make modellers happy!

Its's looking fab by the way. The undercarriage wells look fab and the ammunition feed on the guns is a very nice touch.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I hope they are reasons you approve of...

That's a lot of nose weight! On my Privateer recently I got away with just some chunks of lead around the front undercarriage well, but I guess Consolidated lengthened the nose just to make modellers happy!

Its's looking fab by the way. The undercarriage wells look fab and the ammunition feed on the guns is a very nice touch.

Regards,

Adrian

I don't think it needs the weight Adrian, I think the first block would have been fine, but then I added a bit more just in case! 

Reasons for more time, some I approve of other I don't but can't currently be helped.

cheers all for the comments, I hope to get more done tonight if all goes to plan!

Rob

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Aha! found you.

Looking good so far.

I have my fingers crossed for the undercarriage!

So do I! Thank you also Pete for the front turret :)

Rob

• Like 1