Revell 1/32 Piper PA-18 Super Cub - a kit summary

gingerbob

Hi all,

I've got two of the three variants that have been released, and thought a little overview of the differences between the different kit releases would be helpful.  Anyone is welcome to add any corrections!  Also, I am certainly not an expert on Piper Cub genetics, and I do know that there have been MANY mods along the way, so this is only a very general introduction.  Actually, I found an article that has a good, quick overview too.

The kits have been done in three forms:

1. PA-18 Super Cub - I've seen European boxing with a red plane on the cover, and US boxing with a white plane.  I assume that they are the same plastic.
  2. PA-18-150 Float Plane - Well, yeah, it's on floats, but there's more to it than that...
  3. PA-18 with Bushwheels

The first version is a standard landplane, but has some significant differences from the other two, as it depicts the military L-18C, sometimes known as a "PA-19" or PA-18-90 (or 95).

• It is the only one that has a "military style" extended glass area- think L-4 versus classic J-3 Cub*.
  • The wing does not have flaps, and has a fuel tank only on the port side.
  • It has the C-90 engine, and corresponding prop and cowling.
  • It has smaller stabilizer/elevators.

The other two kits both provide a PA-18-150 airframe, with:

• O-320 engine, new cowling and prop
  • New parts to make (only) the "classic" civil Cub style windows, with new fuselage halves, headliner, and corresponding windows*
  • New instrument panel
  • Wing has flaps, fuel tanks on both sides, and landing lights in the leading edge
  • Larger, horn-balanced stabilizer/elevators

* The original kit provides decals to "fake it" if you want the civil type rear windows, but it does not provide the headliner parts.  Personally I'd rather swap parts, then use the "military style" for an example that's been modified with more window- quite plausible for a bushplane or updated floatplane.

The Floatplane boxing gives you only amphibious floats- no regular landplane option.  Note that these floats are not the "classic" round-topped Edo straight floats, in case that's what you were hoping for.  I'm wondering if the floats from a Tiger Moth kit might be adaptable... EDIT: according to one build of the Tiger Moth, those floats ARE one of the types used on at least some Super Cubs- I think I know what I'm going to do!

The Bushwheels boxing, however, in addition to the new "tundra tires" and uncovered main gear frame, appears to also include the standard gear and wheels.  If you want a standard "big engine" Super Cub, this is therefore the one to get.  [Edit: One quirk I forgot to mention- the instruction sheet appears to have copied some steps (illustrations) from the earlier "non floatplane", and consequently they've got the wrong part numbers (cowl, maybe prop?)- just go by the visual and you'll be able to work it out!]

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scalemates also lists another box: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/193490-revell-85-5483-piper-pa-18-super-cub

I've got the first one (04208).

I am interested in discussing the accuracy of the kit, as I want to use it (also) as a model to detail my 1/72 kits - AZ and Airmodel.

Carlos

Edited by CarLos
typo

Yeah, that's the "white plane"- I think it is the US boxing.

I can't speak to accuracy- don't know enough!  This PDF parts catalog should be a pretty nice reference, though!  One thing I saw mention of this morning was more ribs per wing at some point (or as a mod, but I think it was a factory change).

Edited by gingerbob

• 1 month later...

The Super Cub went from the C-90 Continental to the Lycoming 135 HP O-290, then to the Lycoming O-360, becoming the PA-18-150.  It was this change which also brought an increased gross weight that the extra wing ribs were added.

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

I was given the Eu boxing with the red finished example on box lid. Was glad for it but I want to build it as the tug at my gliding club. From the above descriptions of the various issues of the kit it looks like I have got the wrong one. I have taken some photos as a walkround for my purposes and noticed the differences. The rounded rear side glazing that is not in my boxing and the different under nose engine cowl with the carb intake further forward and the odd looking bullet faired bit jus tbehind that. Again not in my issue of the kit. So.... how can I get around this to make it  right. Decals are not a problem as someone is doing the one I want for me. G-BEOI.   From my photos I think I can scratch the nose bits but if its already available , can I get hold of the bits I need?   The side windows I too,might be able to do something about but the interior lining could be tricky/ CAN anyone help please?

• 3 months later...

That will be interesting - I've nearly finished the KP Pawnee. I didnt realise it was basically assembled out of the parts bin from Piper - its obvious when you look at it but its effectively a cub wing and struts upside down with - IIRC Pacer tail unit!

I didnt know that and now its so obvious I can't unsee it!

TT

Paul J - the Super Cub at Southdown has been modified to use a Lycoming O-360 in place of the O-320 typically used in a standard Super Cub I think, That is a 180 HP engine. The bullet you describe is the air intake filter I think - the Super Cub at my field was modified to a 180HP O-360 engine and had that same prominent change.  Other than the changed cowling, the modified Super Cub should look much the same externally. This was a long time ago, so perhaps memory is dubious...    (Personally I much preferrred the handling of the 150HP version but the extra climb performance fthe 180 wa handy with heavy two seaters on the back, especially with a short runway & limited wind ! )

The white cover picture Super Cub model looks to be  a 90HP Super Cub, no flaps.  I think the red plane kit  is also a 90HP Super Cub without flaps. Not sure about the most recent Revell 'Sports Plane' - the black and white machine 'D-PCUB. The cover picture makes it looks as  if the cowling may have the modified intake 'bullet' of a 180HP variant, just as the 'Bushwheels' version had - my wife built one of those so I have just checked that.  G-BEOI as she now is would be most easily built from that 'Sports Plane' I think. Does that help?

I'm not sure about headlining etc. I shall have a look through my stash and  'parts bin' when I get a chance. I have built a floatplane 150 HP Super Cub and a 90HP Luftwaffe Super Cub (that may be the same boxing as your red plane?) so should have some bits left over. My wife thinks the Bushwheels kit came with standard wheels as well as the oversize ones. There is another Cub somewhere in my stash. Ought not be too difficult to modify  one into another, though I thought using the floatplane kit would be the simplest start point for modelling my old tugging steed. 

Yes, 'texantomcat' - the way Piper took Cub wings and attached them low down with those massive struts in compression seems weird at first. Terrific beast to fly though! 

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Paul J - the Super Cub at Southdown has been modified to use a Lycoming O-360 in place of the O-320 typically used in a standard Super Cub I think, That is a 180 HP engine. The bullet you describe is the air intake filter I think - the Super Cub at my field was modified to a 180HP O-360 engine and had that same prominent change.  Other than the changed cowling, the modified Super Cub should look much the same externally. This was a long time ago, so perhaps memory is dubious...    (Personally I much preferrred the handling of the 150HP version but the extra climb performance fthe 180 wa handy with heavy two seaters on the back, especially with a short runway & limited wind ! )

The white cover picture Super Cub model looks to be  a 90HP Super Cub, no flaps.  I think the red plane kit  is also a 90HP Super Cub without flaps. Not sure about the most recent Revell 'Sports Plane' - the black and white machine 'D-PCUB. The cover picture makes it looks as  if the cowling may have the modified intake 'bullet' of a 180HP variant, just as the 'Bushwheels' version had - my wife built one of those so I have just checked that.  G-BEOI as she now is would be most easily built from that 'Sports Plane' I think. Does that help?

I'm not sure about headlining etc. I shall have a look through my stash and  'parts bin' when I get a chance. I have built a floatplane 150 HP Super Cub and a 90HP Luftwaffe Super Cub (that may be the same boxing as your red plane?) so should have some bits left over. There is another Cub somewhere in my stash. Ought not be too difficult to modify  one into another, though I thought using the floatplane kit would be the simplest start point for modelling my old tugging steed. 

Yes, 'texantomcat' - the way Piper took Cub wings and attached them low down with those massive struts in compression seems weird at first. Terrific beast to fly though! 

John B

Most helpful info. I saw the 'sports Plane issue somewhere on sale but its a bit late as I have already done most of the mods needed for my model from the 'red scheme' kit box. such as the rear portion of the glazing, extra fuel tank, flaps and the under nose chin area which is not 100 % but is done.   And have used the custom made decals on it I still need to make the weird silencer/exhaust pipe for it.   If I can bear it, I might go and buy the Sports Plane version and get another set of the decals made for me.

10 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Most helpful info. I saw the 'sports Plane issue somewhere on sale but its a bit late as I have already done most of the mods needed for my model from the 'red scheme' kit box. such as the rear portion of the glazing, extra fuel tank, flaps and the under nose chin area which is not 100 % but is done.   And have used the custom made decals on it I still need to make the weird silencer/exhaust pipe for it.   If I can bear it, I might go and buy the Sports Plane version and get another set of the decals made for me.

Oh good. Wow, that is quite a modification exercise - gerat stuff.

My wife has just found the standard sized wheels from her build - a well organised lady!   The exhaust on your club's aircraft - is it a longer silencer type?  The Pawnees we operated after the Super Cub were modified to have long silencers as used (and mandatory?) in Austria and four blade props for noise reduction.

29 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Oh good. Wow, that is quite a modification exercise - gerat stuff.

My wife has just found the standard sized wheels from her build - a well organised lady!   The exhaust on your club's aircraft - is it a longer silencer type?  The Pawnees we operated after the Super Cub were modified to have long silencers as used (and mandatory?) in Austria and four blade props for noise reduction.

Yes I believe they are.  Much the same as our Pawnee.