Mini Craft Boeing 727-200

Buddyboy12

There are several reviews online.  Here are links to a couple of them:

http://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=143

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/boeing727222_1.htm

If you read German Uwe Damaschek lists the main faults very concisely:  http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Minicraft/Minicraft_Boeing_727/Minicraft_Boeing_727.html

Roughly translated (with apologies to any native German speakers!): "Unfortunately the fuselage has a few clearly visible errors in shape - the top edge of the fin is wrong.  It has a kink which is not present on the original.  The intake for the centre engine is equally inaccurate, the section below the intake is much too bulbous.  The details are particularly disappointing: the engines are not accurate at all and the undercarriage including the undercarriage bays is a complete fantasy by the model producer.  Pleasing points are the good nose shape and the thin trailing edges of the wings.  Unfortunately this advantage is cancelled out by the unbelievable thickness of the leading edges. .... All in all I recommend buying the ... Airfix kit and correcting it where necessary"

I haven't built the Minicraft kit but I've seen a couple of examples built by other modellers.  It can't be mistaken for anything other than a 727-200 and the nose shape is streets ahead of Airfix but fixing the faults and making a properly accurate model is a lot of work.

HTH

Dave G

• Like 2

If you want a really accurate 727-200 out of the box the only way to go is to save up for the Authentic Airliners version.  It ain't cheap and according to the AA website it's currently out of stock but Kurt should do a new run in due course.

Otherwise, as you say, Minicraft and Airfix both have their faults. Personally I'd go for Airfix - the thick wings on the Minicraft kit are a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.  With the Airfix kit you really have to fix the shape of the cockpit which involves a fair bit of sanding and filing but isn't particularly difficult.  Airfix have also made a bit of a mess of the fin where the No.2 intake blends in.  The engines can be left as they are although they will benefit from improvement and there are a few other minor issues like a non-existent fence on the wing trailing edge.  

Years ago there was an excellent article about correcting the Airfix 727-200 in the old Airline Modeller magazine.  I have a copy in my archives and if you pm me your e-mail address I'll gladly scan it for you.

• Like 1

Well arriving home from work it appears the decision has been taken out of my hands! After telling my wife of my plans last night she only went and got me one as a valentines gift, bless her! So looks like I will be making do with the inaccuracy of the mini craft kit!

• Like 1