Audi A4 DTM 2009 - Timo Scheider

Spad

Well, this one was "fun"! The Revell Audi A4 as driven to Championship victory for Audi in the 2009 DTM series.

Built for a friend it was actually a very nice build and a beautifully fitting kit, albeit with a fair amount of mould seam clean-up being needed - seems a typical trait of Revell kits? Lots of lovely bits to put together, plenty of detail and fun to be had though much of it ends up hidden. I have left it with the body loose as there is so much interior detail and most is almost invisible with all that black in there.

Built pretty much OOB but I have use a little carbon decal on the front splitter and also on those, shall we call them webs, between the roll-cage and the roof arches where they are visible through windscreen and side screens. Kit provided carbon was used on the rear wing and the refuelling receptacle.

The bodywork design is quite unusual to say the least with all of it's sophisticated aero features well replicated - took me a while to get my head around it for some reason. Maybe I was being dim but it all became pretty clear to me as soon as I started to assemble the thing! Message to self there I think - stop overthinking the hobby and get on with it!

The fun bit came with that blasted matt black finish, complicated by a livery featuring a gloss black repeat behind the primary white logos, bit like a drop shadow. I have an aversion to applying decals to a matt finish so I sprayed it gloss black and decalled-up in the normal fashion - error!I Previously I have found that matting down straight onto decals will leave the decal with a gloss sheen whereas the paint will matt nicely. Not so this time! It all went matt so I had one option - hand paint gloss varnish over the faint drop shadows. Not ideal but kind of gets there.

Another side effect I found is that the finish is extremely difficult to remove dust from and this kit just pulled dust in from everywhere - so, apologies for the dust in the pics.
Anyway, here it is warts 'n' all. Hope you like it Sanjay!

IMG_0152_zps8o41sy2s.jpg

IMG_0171_zpsby51vbxp.jpg

IMG_0177_zpsjzeggkco.jpg

d5899b75-8308-44c4-bb3b-cdef8fc60bf9_zps

And finally one with it's clothes off!

IMG_0169_zpshpdifaj2.jpg

All C+C welcome in equal measure.

Thanks for looking

ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 15

Well done Spadit looks superb! I have one on the shelf and need to get round to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...