Javelin FAW4 conversion needed

shatters

If you have the old Matchbox T3 or the revived Airfix one to crash,then use the "Pen nib" back end and you can shorten the radar,if you want the shorter US Version of the AI to build the 6.The 5 was a 4 with more fuel!Hope this helps?

18 hours ago, BritJet said:

Thanks guys, so the only difference between the 9 and 4 is the tail pipe ?

Phil

37 minutes ago, mikestow said:

If you have the old Matchbox T3 or the revived Airfix one to crash,then use the "Pen nib" back end and you can shorten the radar,if you want the shorter US Version of the AI to build the 6.The 5 was a 4 with more fuel!Hope this helps?

Matchbox ? Do you mean Heller ? I'm using the airfix kit.

Phil

12 minutes ago, shatters said:

Matchbox ? Do you mean Heller ? I'm using the airfix kit.

Phil

Could Mike have been thinking of the Frog kit? I believe the Heller was derived from the Airfix.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, shatters said:

Thanks guys, so the only difference between the 9 and 4 is the tail pipe ?

Phil

No!

Mk4 only has two rows of vortex generators (the fwd and aft ones), you need to remove the centre row from the Airfix kit wing.

The real Mk9 had a slightly drooped leading edge to the outer wing panels, the Mk1-6 didn't, as the Airfix kit is based upon Heller's Mk3, I don't believe they made this change to the kit when they made this change when they converted it to the FAW.9.

Mk.4 cannon barrels did not protrude beyond the leading edge and Mk's.1 to 6 didn't have underwing pylons.

There's something about the upper fuselage intakes but instead of trying to remember all the differences this thread should help.

There's some more odds and sods but that's the gist of it.

Edited by Wez
Extra text and link added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Supertom said:

Could Mike have been thinking of the Frog kit? I believe the Heller was derived from the Airfix.

Other way 'round.  The Airfix FAW9 was derived from the Heller T3.  This accounts for the daft narrow tailpipes on the Airfix FAW9.

The Heller T3 mould was permanently altered to achieve this, so this means Airfix or Heller T3 kits are getting scarce, although I found them both going for £10 at the IPMS Avon Show last year...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hepster said:

Other way 'round.  The Airfix FAW9 was derived from the Heller T3.  This accounts for the daft narrow tailpipes on the Airfix FAW9.

The Heller T3 mould was permanently altered to achieve this, so this means Airfix or Heller T3 kits are getting scarce, although I found them both going for £10 at the IPMS Avon Show last year...

Heller were criticised in some quarters for going for the T.3 over any of the fighter versions but to my mind it was a canny move, after all, all of the Sqn's had at least one trainer on charge and it therefore carried a far wider range of markings than any one fighter version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shatters said:

Does the airfix FAW9 have both tail pipes or would I have to cross kit with a T3 ?

Phil

Phil,

Sadly it does not, it has an approximation of the FAW.9 tail, sadly it is not correct but I can live with it, you'd need a pen-nib tail from a T.3 or a conversion.

Here's one that I scratched for Jet Age earlier this year.

Frog_Javelin3_zpsvjxejmno.jpg

Donor was a Frog FAW9 - bought that kit last year, but Airfix would have served just as well.

Frog_Javelin0_zpszdqam9k4.jpg

So the recipe:

Middle row of vortex generators removed from the wings,

Omitted air-scoops on the back of the aircraft, 

Grafted on the pen-nib from a T3 model,

Pitot tube on port wing only,

and sanded off the wing leading edge bulge ahead of - well this Mk doesn't have pylons.

Mine has no numbers - and greyed over canopy, and I ignored the holes for the cannons.

Frog_Javelin1_zpsx6cdqlfu.jpg

I sacrificed the rest of the T3 in my terracotta pot - and now Airfix are promising a Phantom FG1. There is a God!

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

Hello Phil!

Some additional notes for the Mk.4 details:

The fin is different as Mk. 4 had different Power Control System. This means that the service hatches are of different shape and on different locations on Mk. 4. Also the Ground Power socket is on the port air intake; not under the wing like in Mk. 9. Early Mk. 4s started their "lives" without Vortex generators and these were added later. Note that Mk. 4 had smaller Vortex generators than Mk. 9. The final Javelin variants (8 and 9) had re-heated engines so extra cooling air was required for the rear fuselage. This means that Mk. 4 never had those long air scoops on the back. Because of a different control system, only two "L -shaped" pitot tubes were carried (Mk. 9 had four). And of course the cockpits and especially the "Bang Seats" are different: for 1/72 scale model different seats will do the job (I guess).

Best Regards,

Antti

6 minutes ago, shatters said:

Is there any point using the T3 Wings in place of the FAW9s ?

Phil

If you've got them, yes!  It will save removing a row of vortex generators.

One thing to note is Javelin trailing edges don't come to a sharp point.

Wez

2 minutes ago, Wez said:

If you've got them, yes!  It will save removing a row of vortex generators.

One thing to note is Javelin trailing edges don't come to a sharp point.

Wez

Right, will cross kit the 2 then, thanks Wez

Phil