1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV "Highball" - Finished.

MickE

This is my contribution to the group build.

Highball1_zps8hsmnp7c.jpg

I will be building Mossie Mk IV DK290/G, the Highball development aircraft.

For those who don't know, Highball was a Barnes Wallis designed bouncing bomb for use against shipping.

Image result for highball mosquito

The kit is obviously Tamiya's and I will be using the Paragon Designs conversion set.

Mick

Edited by MickE
  • Like 11

The 1/48 conversion set has the parts for the Aussie based aircraft as well. I have also got the conversion set for the TR33 Sea Mosquito and the Tamiya FB VI kit to go with it. If I finish the Highball kit early enough I will have a go at the other kit as well.

Mick

• Like 1

Hang away Rob. I'll be able to let you know of any pitfalls during the build. I am guessing that as you hail from Oz you will be building an aircraft stationed at Narrowmine. :)

Hi DAG there is quite a bit about Highball on the internet and as few pictures. The only thing that doesn't seem certain is what colour the bombs were.

Mick

Hi Mike

Thanks for the link, fantastic job you made of it. Hope mine turns out as well. I notice that you fitted the 6 pipe exhaust on the outside of the nacelles. I have been trying to source a set of these but with no success so far.

Mick

I shall be following with intrest as I'm building this kit, with a 4 ton cookie using the night bomber scheme. Will you be showing the finished model at the Salisbury show? After your advice at the Wallop show I built my avenger in a US scheme and found some figures that fitted nicely cheers.

Hi Ozzie yes I should have it finished for our show. Glad I could help with the Avenger. Your Mossie should look good. I have built the Mk VI before and it was a lovely kit to build.

Thanks Martin. I am hoping it comes out OK.

Mick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Col.

I have made quite a bit more progress. The fuselage is closed up and the wings and horizontal stabilisers are on. The bomb bay for the Highballs has been put in and primed..

Under1_zpseddhptzd.jpg

Under2_zpsxgxtqoon.jpg

These are the bombs.

Bombs_zps2uhjhwu6.jpg

and this is the bomb bay cowl. The cowl and the bombs had substantial pour stubs on them which were a pain to remove. I cut too deep into one of the bombs but, luckily, it shouldn't be seen with the cowl in place.

Cowling1_zpsacpfdehj.jpg

In this last shot I have temporarily fitted the bombs and cowl to check for fit - seems ok. You can just see the cut on the rear bomb. It will be rotated out of the way when they have been painted.

Under3_zpskj7cvp8v.jpg

Cheers

Mick

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cliff

There hasn't been many made. I have seen another one like mine here on Britmodeller and one of the operational types with the 4 bladed props and arrester hook elsewhere on the internet.

Thanks Rob

Yes it is quite an easy conversion. To be honest the hardest part was cutting off the pour stub on the bomb bay cowl without damaging it. I agree about the Paragon stuff.

I have progressed a bit further - the underside has been painted MSG and the first coat of Ocean Grey is on.

Mick

• Like 1