Heller Constellation windows

Michael51

I plan to fill in all the windows on this kit and use the decal sheet instead.

My plan was to glue plastic strips to the interior then use putty to fill the remaining outside recesses.

Would the forum have any views on the merit or otherwise of this approach?

The kit is a rare bird and I do not want to mess it up.

The decals supply the correct window placement for a Qantas L-749A.

Thanks,

Michael

Hate to rain on your parade, but if you're using the Hawkeye decal sheet, the red is the wrong shade - it's more or less a Post Office Red, whereas the proper Qantas red was more like Humbrol 20 Crimson. It was a standard Dulux colour known as Carnation Red (and I've seen a colour chip sprayed with the actual paint used by Qantas). If you can find the old Roodecals sheet for the L-1049 (long out of production now) it has a much better interpretation of the colour.

14 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Hate to rain on your parade, but if you're using the Hawkeye decal sheet, the red is the wrong shade - it's more or less a Post Office Red, whereas the proper Qantas red was more like Humbrol 20 Crimson. It was a standard Dulux colour known as Carnation Red (and I've seen a colour chip sprayed with the actual paint used by Qantas). If you can find the old Roodecals sheet for the L-1049 (long out of production now) it has a much better interpretation of the colour.

The Hawkeye L-749A sheet is for this scheme, is this the one you have @Michael Enright?

HM%20CDS-049%20QANTAS%20L749A%20Constell

So the reds are off in this one?, as far as I know RooDecal did the later scheme for the L1049 with red cheat line only like this one.  Did they also do a L-749 sheet as well?

CDS-136.gif

• Like 1

Thanks, Ray - I'd forgotten about the "Heritage" sheet, which is a beauty (more than can be said about the Heller kit, which is another story - although I understand that Paul Fisher is coming up with some goodies, engines in particular, to overcome at least the worst bits).

The red on CDS-136 is definitely wrong. I've matched it to the chip, and there's no similarity at all other than that they're both "red". And you're right about Roodecals - Bill only ever did an L-1049 sheet. He may have intended to do one for the '749, but we'll never know that now ...

• Like 1

I know Peter at Hawkeye has been reworking a lot of sheets correcting colour issues. I am not sure if he has got to his Connie sheets yet. I have an old RedROo sheet so I will have to see the difference.

As for Connie bits, I have seen the L1049 parts and they are nice. I assume the L749 has different engines? I have a couple of sets of Connie engines ((Flightpath and Platypus issued ones) in the stash but can't recall which version they are for. Might have to have a go at one of mine for the Radial Engine GB :D

Sorry about the thread hijack @Michael Enright

Bringing it back to the original topic, I thought the L749 kit had clear inserts? I will be glueing them in and puttying over them on my build and perhaps reinforcing with strip behind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

I know Peter at Hawkeye has been reworking a lot of sheets correcting colour issues. I am not sure if he has got to his Connie sheets yet. I have an old RedROo sheet so I will have to see the difference.

As for Connie bits, I have seen the L1049 parts and they are nice. I assume the L749 has different engines? I have a couple of sets of Connie engines ((Flightpath and Platypus issued ones) in the stash but can't recall which version they are for. Might have to have a go at one of mine for the Radial Engine GB :D

Sorry about the thread hijack @Michael Enright

Bringing it back to the original topic, I thought the L749 kit had clear inserts? I will be glueing them in and puttying over them on my build and perhaps reinforcing with strip behind.

To complete the story - the '649s and '749s had several different exhaust/cooling gill set-ups, because most operators had problems with engine overheating. This is reflected in the cowlings. There was an article published in an old APMA Magazine with Dave Muir's drawings to show the differences - Dave Richardson should have a copy if you're interested, otherwise PM me - I have it here somewhere.

The Heller L-749 has the cabin windows as strip inserts. The openings are oversized and the inserts don't fit them very well. The layout also reflects the Air France configuration, which was not the same as the Qantas one. If the strips are well enough glued in, they do form a good basis for filling and sanding so as to do other layouts by decal.

• Like 2

Thank you all.

The glue-in-the-windows option was initially discounted by me but it sounds a lot simpler so I will do that.

Yes, they are the Hawkeye decals and yes, those who consider these incorrect  are no doubt ,well, correct.

I do appreciate the help provided on this wonderful site.

As far as the decals go, I will take consolation in them being near enough to okay for an innumerate Arts graduate taking an interpretivist stance on such things,

Michael

Michael, 

When you're gluing in the window strips, the important thing is to ensure that the ends are secure. There's not all that much gluing surface at the ends, but if they're not stuck down securely they will come away, and if that happens the job of filling becomes much harder - this from practical experience! Fortunately I hadn't joined the two fuselage halves, so fixing it was easy enough. It would have been a lot more fun with the fuselage together. Also give the glue plenty of time to set, for the same reason.

And you do need a good amount of weight up front - that triple tail is quite heavy.

• Like 2

Before you stick the clear inserts into the fuselage halves,  Carefully scrape the recess so that the window inserts protrude very slightly above the outer surface. The slight gaps can then be filled and the protruding glazing can be sanded back to the fuselage surface. This will remove the slight sink marks in the centre of each window and once polished will give a much better appearance.  Masks for the individual windows themselves can be easily made from Tamiya tape using a hole punch as used for filing papers in a ring binder.

Chris.

• Like 1