Martin Baker MB2

I had intended to post this last week but wanted to hang on till after 'uddersfield so as not to spoil any possible surprise!

16462936_1587182314631596_16368064386352

It's the Merlin kit!  Yep, I know, Merlin kits were abysmal but this was one of his least worst efforts - I hesitate to use the words "good" or "better" when applied to Merlin!  The fuselage is too slim and the canopy is both thick and optically unclear.  Other than assemble it, I did some detailing in the cockpit with plestic strip, etc, to make it look a bit better although probably inaccurate anyway.  The prop is a De Havilland three blader from the older tool Airfix mk Ia Spitfire, although I'm not sure if the Dagger rotated clockwise or anti-clockwise.  Anyhoo - MFM!

It's one of my older efforts - circa 2006 - but has been stalled due to canopy issues.  It got dug out for a semi-official Martin Baker Group Build over on whatifmodelers.com.

I did pick up another one at Telford last year - there's one on ebay right now - and if/when I get round to it, I'll widen the fuselage by about 2mm to make it look more prototypical.  Incidentally, I have a pair of Magna ones and they are far, far superior!

Photo: Rob Sullivan

• Like 14

Exotic and nice look.

However, I hope all agree that it was better to have Hurricanes instead of MB2 in Polish squadrons of RAF in 1940...:)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Exotic and nice look.

However, I hope all agree that it was better to have Hurricanes instead of MB2 in Polish squadrons of RAF in 1940...:)

Cheers

J-W

Now that's a gauntlet thrown at a Spitfire man! But yes I agree. That said, there is something very beguiling about Martin Bakers; kinda weird and don't look like they should be able to fly. But beguiling nonetheless. Very nice build....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Exotic and nice look.

Cheers

J-W

"Repeat please!"

Joking aside, I've been doing various whiffs with Polish and Czech squadrons and if and when I get round to doing the proposed MB2 with retractable u/c, it'll be with the same squadron albeit in the later day fighter colours.

Actually, the codes are for a squadron that never formed, between the Polish and Czech squadrons.  Handy place to hide a what if?

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
Joyless grammar fascism!
  • Like 3