Academy 1/48th Spitfire MKXIVe.

Chaps.

The much maligned Academy MKXIVe spitfire.

This kit may have shape issues (looks like a Spitfire to me!) but as a kit it's fabulous to build and was only a tenner!

It just falls together and needs no filler and very little clean up. A great Mojo kick start kit.

The only thing that can be a problem is the sliding cockpit canopy. It's attached to the runner in an awkward place and can be easily damaged during removal.

(Thanks Andrew Jones for my replacement!)

In actual fact, the canopy was already ripped off the runner in the box. I've checked a few other boxes and they were the same. The part can be repaired, but will need a bit of fuss.

Paints a mix of Tamiya (Primer and underside), Vallejo MA, Xtracrylix then Klear (Original) all sealed with W&N Galleria. The W&N Matt was to matt, so I applied a top coat of Galleria Satin.

Tamiya masking, yellow and white with the usual Blutc/Humbrol Maskol for the camo.

Decals a mix of the kit (Not great. I tried a few and they worked ok but were prone to silvering), Techmod Stencils (lovely!) and Xtradecals (Also lovely!).

Pictures not great, but I couldn't resist the sunshine!

MKXIVe-4_zps8n8ngd9w.jpg

MKXIVe-5_zpshmeuvhou.jpg

MKXIVe-3_zpsfpmma3eq.jpg

MKXIVe-2_zpszle3rkzb.jpg

MKXIVe-1_zpspymtsqix.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Rick.

• Like 14

Nice build Rick, a credit to you , as for the perceived faults with the kit , they're not really noticeable ,and if you're happy with it ,then that's all that really matters. I think it looks great.

Andrew

• Like 1

It's a really nice kit (as a kit), and you've done a grand job there. "Noice!", as the cool kids say.

It does look like a Griffon Spitfire, until you sit it next to a model that's more correct in the nose area, then it looks like a Griffon Spitfire that's been hitting the steroids. Which is a shame, as it's a nice kit (as I said). I did spend time a number of years ago trying to work out a way to reduce the bloat, but it started to get more than a little silly, so I stopped the project, and sold my leftover Academy Spits (I still have the one that I built though.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The kit certainly looks a bit bulbous against Airfix's XIX

Ben

4 hours ago, Haggis9444 said:

.......just look a bit 'lumpy'...

I prefer "Well built",

I like them well built........

Rick.

• Like 2

This is an excellent model , and it certainly looks like a spitfire irrespective of shape issues which my untrained  eyes anyways can't detect :)

• Like 1