DeHavilland Mosquito B.IV 627 Squadron 1/48 - COMPLETED

airbus320

Hi folks,

I've had the Revell Mosquito B.IV sitting in the stash for a good few years so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get it built.

To correct the kits flaws I've bought some ultracast wheels, extended the main gear using the Tamiya kit as a reference (adding the tyre guards at the same time) and sanded the spinners to a better shape (although they remain too short). I hope this doesn't classify as jumping the starting gun?!?! :worry:

I've got a set of Eagle cal decals and I plan to build DZ415 of 627 Squadron in 1945.

Looking forward to getting started on this one!

Chris

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420_1.jpg

Edited by airbus320
  • Like 5

Welcome to the GB Chris. You're well within the 25% rule there so feel free to go with this one :) 

Although the Mosquito is proving a popular subject the huge variety of different types and schemes available shows how widely used they were. The red and yellow codes will add a good splash of colour to your model.

Thanks for the encouragement gents!

It's been a week of bad weather in the desert so I've made a start on this kit. As Drift hinted above, the fit is terrible! The interior parts needed massive amounts of material removing to get them to fit inside the nose. I managed to get the nose together eventually as well as fill some of the sink marks but test fits of the rear fuselage show further choppy waters ahead...:unamused:

Here's how things look so far:

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

Should hopefully get the fuselage finished this this week some time.

Chris (currently wishing he had cracked open the Tamiya kit instead!)

• Like 1

Ok so I managed to get the back half attached to the front without too much trouble and the horizontal stabilisers attached. So far so good. I've hit a major stumbling block with regards to the canopy however. On removing it from the sprue a section of the windscreen delaminated completely! I've managed to sand it back, polish it out and give it a coat of quick-shine but it's touch and go on this one. I've sent a replacement request to Revell and anxiously await a response...

IMG_0488.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words!

Further progress update:

I've got the wings and engines attached along with the landing gear. The fit has continued to poor hence the filler you can see in the photos below!

The canopy has been consigned to the scrap heap sadly. There was a deep internal flaw running all the way through it. Revell are unable to supply a replacement and my spare canopy from the Airfix XVI is way too narrow. I have ordered a vacform canopy for the Tamiya kit from eBay, having confirmed from my FB.VI kit that the cockpit widths are broadly compatible. I've started building up the forward coaming with plasticard in advance but it will probably be two or so weeks before I can get hold of the new canopy.

Here is how she looks now, I think my mods to the gear and the ultracast wheels have improved the sit somewhat:

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

There are are plenty of little jobs to keep me going while I wait for the new canopy so updates will continue but maybe at a reduce pace. I will shortly have the bits I need to finish my Airfix/Hasegawa Frankenfire XII plus I'm going to start a Tamiya Beaufighter as side relief from this kit!

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this one, it's not dead! I now have the vacform canopy and from an initial look it seems like it will fit. I've fitted the wing lights and faired them in also. Should get a few days at the bench this week so will hopefully post and update soon.

Chris

Great success - the canopy fitted with a little cyano and plasticard encouragement which was to be expected given that it was made to fit the Tamiya kit. I painted the internal framing before fitting it.

There's a few bits of tidying up to be done then it will be time for paint. That will have to wait until next week as I'm off to the US on business. 

IMG_0541.jpg

Cheers for now,

Chris

• Like 3

Thanks Ozzy!

She's finally finished!!!! Fought me to the end as expected, today's flies in the ointment included replacing one of the (cracked) nose windows with clear acetate and adding the VHF aerial from stretched sprue.

I'll take some better pics over the next few days, in the meantime I'm going to catch some relief from this pig of a kit!!!!

Chris

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

• Like 7