RAN 1/48 Fairey Firefly TT

PWJ

I had started this build some time ago and it is a combination of the Special Hobby best bits from a PP Aeroparts multi media kit that I have burried away.

As I wanted to do the Target Tug Mk6 version I have also stolen the tug winch and various other relevant bits which are included in the very comprehensive PP kit.

One of the first things that I noticed was that the Special Hobby prop blades and spinner, I don’t believe they are the correct shape. Those in the PP kit are cast resin and white metal blades and in my opinion a much better representation of the real aircraft. Anyway after way too long in the cupboard of doom I have resurrected and completed the build.

Special thanks to Steve Long for some invaluble detail shots of their aircraft, certainly is a bonus to be able to connect with such knowledgable resource, – much appreciated sir.

RAN%20Firefly.jpg

RAN%20Firefly%207.jpg

RAN%20Firefly%204.jpg

RAN%20Firefly%208.jpg

RAN%20Firefly%209.jpg

• Like 43

A great job on the Firefly. Target tugs are among my favourite interests. I know that "Weathering " is almost compulsory on any model nowadays but from my memory ( what remains of it } the RAN kept even these work horses fairly tidy. I love the detail in the Malcom towing winch. How these things worked is a subject in it self. The book The Long Drag is a great read for anyone interested in British Target towing methods.

Well Done, what's next ?          Trev.

19 hours ago, vh-bob said:

A great job on the Firefly. Target tugs are among my favourite interests. I know that "Weathering " is almost compulsory on any model nowadays but from my memory ( what remains of it } the RAN kept even these work horses fairly tidy. I love the detail in the Malcom towing winch. How these things worked is a subject in it self. The book The Long Drag is a great read for anyone interested in British Target towing methods.

Well Done, what's next ?          Trev.

Hi Trev, thanks for the kind words. Re the dirty look, my references and the images from Steve's Camden aircraft appeared well used so that was how I wanted the Firefly. Cheers and kind regards,PJ

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Peter, fantastic to see you displaying your lovely work again.  Glad you got her finished.  She looks magnificent.  Good job

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce, yes it is nice to get back into finishing a few. Work commitments have kept very busy over the last twelve months or so.

Cheers and kind regards, PJ

PJ, I shouldn't have remarked on how you finished your Firefly as the current popularity of weathering everything is a bit of a hobby horse of mine and your example is in no way overdone. Although I admit that I have seen some pretty scruffy full sized aircraft in my time, I sometimes wonder if Art is replacing reality in some people's minds with many WWII combat aircraft having a life span that was only a few days.

Rant over,  Trev.

20 hours ago, vh-bob said:

PJ, I shouldn't have remarked on how you finished your Firefly as the current popularity of weathering everything is a bit of a hobby horse of mine and your example is in no way overdone. Although I admit that I have seen some pretty scruffy full sized aircraft in my time, I sometimes wonder if Art is replacing reality in some people's minds with many WWII combat aircraft having a life span that was only a few days.

Rant over,  Trev.

Hi Trev, comments are always welcome. As for your statement that "art is replacing reality", I agree and believe modelling is becoming more like 3 dimensional art and really comes down to the builders interpretation. cheers PJ