Gone lost, Medium Sea Gray, Dark Sea Grey vs Extra Dark Sea Grey...

Andre B

4 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Andre

This should solve all your Harrier needs.

This list also gives the equivalent for all the most popular paints.

Laurie

http://www.harriersig.org.uk/models/harriercoloursv112.pdf

Oh Harrier Harrier you just fly like a bird
a blast of air & you perform the absurd

my favourite with those just lovable wings
and so up down with a side to side swing

you float on air and, to some, much feared
but to me, Harrier, you are just my little Shar

Laurie

Sorry Laurie,

Could not find see the list. Something wrong with the link?

/André

4 hours ago, Andre B said:

Sorry Laurie,

Could not find see the list. Something wrong with the link?

/André

Hi Andre

Strange it came up last night but not now.

Usse thise address http://www.harriersig.org.uk/models/harriercoloursv112.pdf

and a list will pop up. Look for the below.. This morning this came top of the list.

It also mention PDF which is what the list is.

RAF/RN Harrier Colours - Harrier SIG

Laurie

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Weathering to blue or anomalous colour?

DSCN2546_zpsou9rlwy6.jpg

This was the 19 squadron special painted, along with a similar a/c from 92, to celebrate the end of RAFG and the last scrambles of the Germany based QRA. This a/c is in Prague (I think) and the 92 squadron one is at Tangmere and has undergone a repaint. The blue was quite matt and although quoted as Roundal Blue I have always suspected it was done from a can found at the back of the hangar (or at the local DIY shop!) It is not a faded grey.

• Like 3

I made an comparison with Hu 27 Sea Grey Matt against Hu 123 Extra Dark Sea Grey Satin and found no big differences. Hu 123 maybe slightly darker. Could Hu 27 go as Extra Dark Sea Grey as well? There is no Hu 123 available as spraycan but there is concerning Hu 27...

Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky is the paint to use if one wants to paint an Hawker Sea Fury or Westland Wyvern. Hu 90 Beige Green for most of us knewn as "Sky" is matt as well. And I think most of us put an layer of gloss varnish before decaling and then an satin coat of clear varnish after.

And it would be rather easy to paint up an Falklands Sea Harrier as well using an Hu 27 spraycan...

/André

Edited by Andre B
Wrong spelling. I'm just an Swede... ; )

Andre, I think you are beginning to take this a bit too seriously. Having been modelling for 50 years I go for the "if it looks right that will do" approach. We can get far too worried about the exact shade a model paint should be but there are points to make. The first is scale colour, what is right on a 1:1 scale aeroplane can be far too dark on a 1/72 scale model. Second, paint will fade, or discolour, over time depending on the use of the aircraft. Third, different batches of paint can, despite being made to the same formula, look different (think about matching batches of wallpaper, it's the same concept).

if you are happy that the hu72 spray can will give you a finish you are satisfied with then use it. I have seen plenty of competition class models, beautifully made and finished, which just don't look right because they are too accurate.

• Like 4

On 18/02/2017 at 2:02 AM, iainpeden said:

This was the 19 squadron special painted, along with a similar a/c from 92, to celebrate the end of RAFG and the last scrambles of the Germany based QRA. This a/c is in Prague (I think)

Thanks for that useful info. I did indeed photograph it at Prague-Kbely and your description of it being very matt is quite right. it didn't quite look right for Roundel Blue as you say.

21 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Andre, I think you are beginning to take this a bit too seriously. Having been modelling for 50 years I go for the "if it looks right that will do" approach. We can get far too worried about the exact shade a model paint should be but there are points to make. The first is scale colour, what is right on a 1:1 scale aeroplane can be far too dark on a 1/72 scale model. Second, paint will fade, or discolour, over time depending on the use of the aircraft. Third, different batches of paint can, despite being made to the same formula, look different (think about matching batches of wallpaper, it's the same concept).

if you are happy that the hu72 spray can will give you a finish you are satisfied with then use it. I have seen plenty of competition class models, beautifully made and finished, which just don't look right because they are too accurate.

Mmm...

I am not worried concerning light and "scaleeffect". In my opinion most painted aircraft models suffers from bad light when the real airplane mostly was seen and photografed outside in daylight. I am more concerned about the right shade of greenish, blueish och brownish greys. I will try Hu 27 as Extra Dark Sea grey...

Regards / André

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Invaluable information on that Harrier Sig ,pdf. Thanks for that. I have to say ive just sprayed my 1:48 GR.9 with DSG upper and lower in Dark Camo grey. However there is not a huge difference, makes me wonder why they even bothered painting them two similar greys. I could see it being worthwhile if the upper was EDSG. 

On 2/17/2017 at 2:17 AM, Ed Russell said:

Weathering to blue or anomalous colour?

DSCN2546_zpsou9rlwy6.jpg

That image  not really applicable to this thread as its  a display  aircraft  painted in non standard roundel blue IIRC, and as such will just confuse matters!

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I made some comparisons between Humbrol Hu 123, Tamiya spraycans AS-4 Gray Violett (Luftwaffe) and AS-27 Gunship Gray 2.

If someone want to do an easy build of an Seaharrier and use spraycans AS-4 looks fine and with AS-27 a bit more sunbleached.

That if Humbrol Hu 123 is an accepted shade of "extra dark sea grey"...

Cheers / André

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for dragging this thread to the surface again but I’ve just got round to doing my RN FG1. Thought I’ll be clever and spray the tail surfaces Mr Hobby EDSG, oops got a shock how dark it was. It didn’t look like the pics of blue coloured aircraft I had seen then I read this thread, oh dear what a minefield. I tried on a scrap wing the suggested mix in Airfix Magazines review on the kit which was 17 parts EDSG 2 parts white and 1 part blue. I was amazed at how blue it looks for such a little amount added and totally different to neat EDSG. Then I watched the BBC clip on Sailor which has PO Furness marshalling an aircraft and hey what a surprise it looks more grey than blue. Right let’s have another go and I ditched the blue and added 3 parts white. It sort of looks the same colour. Utterly confused here bored the wife to bits so what is it blue or grey urggghhhh need some feedback!!

1 hour ago, delticfan said:

Sorry for dragging this thread to the surface again but I’ve just got round to doing my RN FG1. Thought I’ll be clever and spray the tail surfaces Mr Hobby EDSG, oops got a shock how dark it was. It didn’t look like the pics of blue coloured aircraft I had seen then I read this thread, oh dear what a minefield. I tried on a scrap wing the suggested mix in Airfix Magazines review on the kit which was 17 parts EDSG 2 parts white and 1 part blue. I was amazed at how blue it looks for such a little amount added and totally different to neat EDSG. Then I watched the BBC clip on Sailor which has PO Furness marshalling an aircraft and hey what a surprise it looks more grey than blue. Right let’s have another go and I ditched the blue and added 3 parts white. It sort of looks the same colour. Utterly confused here bored the wife to bits so what is it blue or grey urggghhhh need some feedback!!

A mother nature problem. Trained as a Videographer/Editor after retiring from my lifetime

career Architecture. All about colour.

Plant an aircraft to the north & same one to the south. The colours will look different.

Light from the north light fro the south have diffrent values.

Take a picture of each craft at 8:00am & the same at 12:00am. The white light has

a dramatic change.

All the colours will look different. on each of the above. The older the aircraft the more

bleached out the colours. Now look into the corner of your lounge one wall looks a different

colour to the one joining it.

All this is confusing as I have found out plus this old chestnut of scale. Making lighter

for scale compared to the life size.  I look at loads of pictures & then concoct my own colour

based on the original. Came after experience to agree if it looks right leave it there.

Last on  Microsoft there is a little programme to help you calibrate your monitor for

better, not absolutely accurate by any means, colour rendering.

A lot there which does not answer you question directly but understanding the problem

makes it easier.

Laurie

• Like 3

Thanks Laurie, I suppose what you are saying is that there is no real right answer, that sort of helps. I’ve decided to fade EDSG with white as before then add an even smaller amount of blue than before, that way I’ll know it is there even if it can barely be seen. I suppose the sea environment was brutal for both the aircraft and paint, seeing salt water washing into folded aircraft wings makes me cringe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delticfan said:

Thanks Laurie, I suppose what you are saying is that there is no real right answer, that sort of helps. I’ve decided to fade EDSG with white as before then add an even smaller amount of blue than before, that way I’ll know it is there even if it can barely be seen. I suppose the sea environment was brutal for both the aircraft and paint, seeing salt water washing into folded aircraft wings makes me cringe. 

Yes you are right on the deterioration.

When building my Swordfish the Yeovil Fleet Air Arm museum sent, with info I had requested,

a picture of one in flight from a RN ship. In places the paint had just been stripped from parts of the aircraft.

Best of luck with your "blue". Used to take this colour thing very seriously until I decided i would paint the

colour I liked which looked right. Unless  compared no one would have a clue.

Laurie

• 2 years later...