P-47D 467th BG "Little Pete 2"

Chemguy3000

I am currently working on a Tamiya 1/48 P-47D with the "Little Pete 2" markings from SuperScale 48-1170.  The painting guide indicates the nose is yellow.  However, Xtradecal 72153 shows a red nose.  I found one image with my friend Google showing the aircraft in question, and the nose seems too dark to be yellow. 

http://www.ipms.ch/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?154

The aircraft number just behind the cowl flaps is yellow and is lighter than the nose, also indicating the nose is red.  Red would also keep in line with the colors of the 467th BG.  But all 1/48 builds of this aircraft I have found on the Web have the yellow nose.

Any guidance with this would be greatly appreciated.  I am gloss coating today in preparation for decals.

David

I'm not sure why you are asking this if you have already painted it, but...

How do you know the number on the nose is yellow? In the Assembly Ships book, the profile has the number and the "Little Pete 2" in light blue. But it could be yellow. Of course yellow can be dark in a photo depending on what filters are used but in this photo the one thing we do know is that red is fairly light  because of the "No Step" on the wing and the red on the 467th badge on the nose, which looks lighter than the cowl colour though. So it's hard to say for certain, but I probably would go for red. 

One think I do find strange is that both the Xtradecal sheet and the Assembly ships book quote this aircraft as a D-25 serial 42-26393! Well as we can clearly see it's a Razorback not a D-25! That IMPS link says it's a D-23 serial 42-27393, which would mean it left the factory in NMF, which although some NMF aircraft were painted, this aircraft looks to me more like it was factory painted OD/NG, but I could be wrong.

That would have also meant that before the 467th BG got it that it was serving in the CBI - would a WW aircraft come back from the CBI to be used in Europe? I wouldn't of thought so personally, but you never know. So it could be 42-76393 a D-20, which belonged to the 404th FS at one point and would have left the factory OD/NG. Of course that's not much help if you've already built the model.

Edited by Tbolt

Thanks for the reply, Tbolt.  I suppose it was a bad assumption on my part that the numbers are yellow just because two manufacturers printed them in that color.  Both companies could be wrong!

The more I look at the photo, the more questions I have:  1) The red on the 467th badge appears lighter than the nose.  A difference in paint reflectance? Is the nose a different color?  2) The artwork looks like it is reflecting on the wing.  Shouldn't OD be nonreflective?  3) The wing insignia appears lighter than the OD.  Is it possible the aircraft is not OD/NG?  4) What is causing the abrupt tonal variation on the fuselage just under the radio mast? (I don't mean the shadow on the tailplane.)

I probably should just paint the nose (which is not attached yet) red and be done with it.  This was supposed to be a quick project!  My desire for accuracy has a way of stalling projects.  Many, many projects.

David

OD wasn't non-reflective, it is quite often seen with a sheen on it, even on P-47's that were not polished in the field.

Like I said the red on the badge is lighter, but isn't far of the "No Step" panel on the wing - look at the red on the tail, pretty close to the badge.

I think the fact that the Insignia is lighter than the wing is just down to weathering - the badge on the cowling has a blue background (as far as we can tell!) which is darker than the insignia but then itis relatively new so hasn't faded. Not all paints weather the same - so become lighter, some become darker.

As for the tonal variation under the mast, it's an older, well weathered aircraft and will have plenty of variation (weathering, repair and repainted sections etc), just look at other picture of older OD aircraft and you will see it's quite normal.

Edited by Tbolt

Thank you once again, Tbolt.  This is my first OD/NG subject.  Most of what I build is of the fast and gray variety.

Carrying on with "Little Pete" today.  I should have a RFI in a few weeks.  Or months...

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Just thought I would put the cat amongst the pigeons here and let you know the true colour of the Little Pete 2nd cowling. The original cowling is still in existance at the aviation museum at Flixton, Suffolk. It is actually bright green. Here is a link to a photo I put on the official 467th BG Facebook group of which I run. There is also ww2 colour footage of this aircraft which also shows the aircraft with the green nose. https://m.facebook.com/groups/209080115899870?ref=bookmarks

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Toppturret said:

Hi all. Just thought I would put the cat amongst the pigeons here and let you know the true colour of the Little Pete 2nd cowling. The original cowling is still in existance at the aviation museum at Flixton, Suffolk. It is actually bright green. Here is a link to a photo I put on the official 467th BG Facebook group of which I run. There is also ww2 colour footage of this aircraft which also shows the aircraft with the green nose. https://m.facebook.com/groups/209080115899870?ref=bookmarks

Nice find! Looks like the green used by the 359th FG. This picture also confirms that the Xtradecal badge is a little small. Looks like it had a replacement upper cowl fitted at some point as well.

5 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Nice find! Looks like the green used by the 359th FG. This picture also confirms that the Xtradecal badge is a little small. Looks like it had a replacement upper cowl fitted at some point as well.

I would have to agree with you Tbolt having seen it in person the green is pretty much bang on the 359th colour. Pretty sure the cowling was found in a barn after many years and I believe the paint on the upper panel succumbed to the elements as there is still a few traces of the green still on it. The paint is also semi glossy not matt at all.

Edited by Toppturret
  • Like 1