Humbrol 191 can vs mini pot

Timbo343

Ive got a rattle can of humbrol's 191 metallic chrome and thought id go and get a mini pot of 191 in acrylic thinking the paint would be the same. I have the 191 enamel which doesn't look great and also have 27002 which is on par with tamiya X11, nothing is as smooth as the rattle 191.

How wrong was i. Got the acrylic mini pot home and mixed it up. Put a bit on a brush and its nothing like the rattle can.

Has anyone found this? I wanted something that was as smooth as the 191 from the rattle can so i now have to decant small amounts when i want to use it.

Im also finding that revell acrylics are much smoother than humbrols.

Rattle cans are difficult to match. Moreso trying to match metallics as a sprayed metallic will usually be much smoother than a brushed metallic. Dan's method of brushing metallics is a bit different, and works for him. But if your objective is to match a rattle can I feel for you. 

Humbrol acrylics have a poor reputation, based on postings here. I've been able to make them work for me, but each one I open lately is useless, so I'm binning them. Haven't purchased any new in 2 years+. 

To be fair, Humbrol acrylics may be improving. I only started using them recently out of necessity and found them to brush on quite well and give a decent finish. I've since bought more.

Having said that, two flip-top pots had to be returned as the contents had dried up. Just the screw tops for me now.

John.

On 13/02/2017 at 10:48 PM, Greenshirt said:

Rattle cans are difficult to match. Moreso trying to match metallics as a sprayed metallic will usually be much smoother than a brushed metallic. Dan's method of brushing metallics is a bit different, and works for him. But if your objective is to match a rattle can I feel for you. 

Humbrol acrylics have a poor reputation, based on postings here. I've been able to make them work for me, but each one I open lately is useless, so I'm binning them. Haven't purchased any new in 2 years+. 

I've started spraying into the lid of the can and using a brush to paint chrome on that way. It's the easiest way i've found and still manage to get a smooth finish. Just need to work on getting a mirror shine now.