1/48 F-16F, Inherent Resolve, 2015. Finished 26/3

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my second entry for this GB - 1/48 Kinetic F-16F Block 60, to represent one of the jets that deployed to Jordan to take part in Operation 'Inherent Resolve.'

The last Kinetic F-16 i tried to build was simply terrible, not one bit fitted correctly, but i'm giving this one a go in the hope that it will fit as well as the Sufa did that I built a couple of years ago.

The kit:

IMG_2561_zpsgld7qaxo.jpg

fullsizeoutput_bdc_zpsb1fk9l8o.jpeg

Extras:

fullsizeoutput_bdd_zps6uvwacj7.jpeg

Not much on this one - Pavla seats, Resin FOD cover and Aires wheel bay. I'm using the latter as the main area of fit issues with the last Kinetic kit I attempted revolved around the wheel bay and intake trunking, which i plan to leave out entirely on this build.

I can't find many images of F models fully tooled up online, but there are plenty of the E model I did see one carrying a pair of GBU-12's on one wing with a GBU-31 on the other so may go for that or simply a pair of GBU-31's, AIM-120's and AIM-9's.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Gosh another one, you must be a fan and join quite a few others who could stop at one!

Hopefully this one won't be as much trouble for you, I think you're right going with the JDAM's they are quite a common loadout for the F-16's.

Well good luck with this one, hopefully it's give you less issues than the other one.

20 hours ago, Jabba said:

Good luck with this one Dave. I know what you mean about the fit of Kinetic kits having just finished their Mirage III, hardly anything fitted well and it is such a modern kit.

Oh, so not worry too much, as the F-16 is a much older kit with its own set of probs....

I ' ve seen impressive builds of it!

:)

On 18/02/2017 at 11:52 AM, Jabba said:

Good luck with this one Dave. I know what you mean about the fit of Kinetic kits having just finished their Mirage III, hardly anything fitted well and it is such a modern kit.

The Sufa was ok, but the Block 52+ I attempted last year was dreadful. I may not even get this one started for the GB as work is busy and i've a few more projects to try and clear before the 'From Russia With Love' GB.

Brief start made. Cockpit and intake built up. You can see the gap on the intake join (which is were the issues begin!!)

IMG_2627_zpsktd3vcac.jpg

Ordnance:

IMG_2628_zpskhgzjn9k.jpg

Undecided if i'm going for 1x GBU-31 JDAM and 2x GBU-12, or just 2x GBU-31. (I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of a UAE jet carrying the 2x GBU-12 and 1x JDAM somewhere but i'm unsure if they fly operationally with the asymmetric load). The rest includes 2x fuel tanks, 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120C and the UAE specific targeting pod.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

On 5.3.2017 at 6:04 PM, DaveJL said:

Ordnance:

IMG_2628_zpskhgzjn9k.jpg

Undecided if i'm going for 1x GBU-31 JDAM and 2x GBU-12, or just 2x GBU-31. (I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of a UAE jet carrying the 2x GBU-12 and 1x JDAM somewhere but i'm unsure if they fly operationally with the asymmetric load). The rest includes 2x fuel tanks, 2x AIM-9M, 2x AIM-120C and the UAE specific targeting pod.

More soon.

Dave

if you want to be really authentic, you cold arm it with the indigenous Hakim PGM ....

http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album07/album42/3003_005

3003_005.jpg?m=1371928258

I think those were used over Libya.....(at least by Mirage 2000-9s...)

Edited by exdraken

Don't think they're available in 1/48!

A bit more to show. Intake lip was added and the spine almost completed. You can see the filler that is required...

IMG_2755_zpszprnbpru.jpg

Decided on 2x GBU-31 for the bomb load. Again, filler needed:

IMG_2756_zpsjd3ih0r5.jpg

Cockpit painted grey, exhaust made up and main landing gear well sprayed white. Detailing to be done on the cockpit and wheel well of course:

IMG_2758_zpsk281aj6x.jpg

I can tell that this is going to be a bugger of a kit. I've been looking for a Hasegawa example but none come in for the £25 remaining of this months' modelling budget! At the minute, this is unlikely to be completed for the GB deadline (if at all) but i'll keep working and see how we get on.

Next up will be the cockpit detailing and closing of the fuselage.

Dave

• Like 1

More done, well, more cursing at the kit done. The cockpit was painted up and then the intake and main wheel well added. The former required some trimming to allow the cockpit floor to fit once the upper fuselage was in place. Speaking of which:

IMG_2765_zpsgxe7mvcd.jpg

You can see the huge gap on one side but the other is not so bad:

IMG_2766_zpsiqb9kzn7.jpg

So i've clamped it but the force required appears to be warping the plastic! I'll access the damage tomorrow. Meanwhile, the join at the airbrakes is just awful:

IMG_2768_zpsxrljov4t.jpg

Not enjoying this at all, so it may be set aside for the time being. Will report back tomorrow.

Dave

9 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

that gap looks as if something inside isn't fitting correctly.

My thoughts too, so it was taken apart. Alas, nothing seems to be causing the gap. I don't know whether there is a warp or some such in the plastic.

Good luck with this one Dave. I have only built 2 Kinetic kits and each one was a filler fest an a bit of a struggle. It is a bit of a shame as they are producing some interesting stuff.

16 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Good luck with this one Dave. I have only built 2 Kinetic kits and each one was a filler fest an a bit of a struggle. It is a bit of a shame as they are producing some interesting stuff.

Thanks mate, i hope their F/A-18 is good as i've got one to build as a CF-188!

Back to the F-16, I'm pleased to report that after some filling and sanding (and repeat!) the kit seems to be coming together. A good bit of filler has been required, but it's starting to take shape.

IMG_2783_zpsmtccb6e7.jpg

IMG_2784_zpsjus7ltyo.jpg

IMG_2785_zpslh1tgerg.jpg

Spine finished:

IMG_2786_zpsoerlitnb.jpg

Still a good bit of work to be done but I'm hoping the worst is over. Next up will be to clean up the filler then add the spine and CFTs.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

glad you managed to get through those fit issues, from the photos it doesn't look like you had to use too much filler. 

It was a bit of a bugger. Ended up using super glue to close the gaps, before sanding down and cleaning up with filler. Hoping that that's the worst of the fit issues out of the way.

More done. Exhaust shrouds spine and CFTs fitted. Some filler is required but generally not too bad a fit. Some of the  other filler was cleaned up before more of the UAE specific lumps and bumps were added.

IMG_2796_zps71m1mcsw.jpg

IMG_2797_zpspwebwm1u.jpg

IMG_2798_zpslbsdrmwh.jpg

A bit more cleaning up to do and a few more bits to add then the kit will be ready for priming.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

Last few bits added, filler cleaned up and the kit is now ready for the paint shop (bar masking and a going over with the wet and dry). As for the colours, i've settled on light ghost grey and dark ghost grey as i think these will look suitably toned down.

IMG_2800_zpszcri1bbs.jpg

IMG_2801_zpsfbq64pto.jpg

IMG_2802_zpsay7me4et.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

she's a pretty mean looking beast even just like that, those conformal tank take the F-16 from a really lovely fighter shape into a mean bugga who out to really hurt you big time!!  Awesome!!

Good bit done today. First up, the decals:

IMG_2817_zpsawxirtsw.jpg

IMG_2818_zpsoa7mhwax.jpg

IMG_2819_zpsyrnsw9cx.jpg

Went on perfectly. Sealed in with a top coat of gloss, then the panel wash:

IMG_2820_zps0u1imcwf.jpg

IMG_2823_zpsfnmlrdwo.jpg

Off after about 30 minutes:

IMG_2824_zpsugnaei8v.jpg

IMG_2825_zpst4kgj3bj.jpg

IMG_2826_zps0srbjkit.jpg

Ordnance finished:

IMG_2827_zpsy75ggowi.jpg

I then just cracked on and added the landing gear, seats, ordnance, targeting pod and horizontal stabilisers:

IMG_2835_zpsbjobmsdv.jpg

IMG_2836_zpsbonhkpwp.jpg

IMG_2837_zpstajtcfbj.jpg

IMG_2838_zpsfmsbfshx.jpg

Will give everything a flat coat tomorrow then i've just to add the HUD, exhaust and canopy.

Dave

• Like 3