Leuchars 'Toom' - 1/72 Fujimi Phantom

eng

Afternoon all,

I've been waiting for a spell of good weather to get some pics of this build but I live in Glasgow!

Anyway I relented this afternoon and have taken some pics indoors of my latest completion (minus crew seats before anyone shouts at me). 

I was quite shocked last year when I realised that in my 30+ years of modelling I've never had a completed RAF Phantom, of any variety or colour, in my collection. I finally decided around August time to get my finger out and build a couple of the Fujimi kits I have collected over the years, this was prior to the Airfix announcement.

This kit is the FGR.2 from the Alcock and Brown boxing, built pretty much out of the box with the exception of scratch built intake blanks and decals from Xtradecal X72132 "111 Sqn history". The kit went together like a dream with only a little bit of fiddling and filling where the lower fuselage section fits under the cockpit area. I snapped off both tail pitot's and had to replace these with short sections of stretched sprue. 

I had intended to build it as XV416 from March 1975, just before it was written off in a take-off accident at Coningsby, but I stupidly followed the Xtradecal placement guide and had put the tail markings on as per this "borrowed" 64 Sqn jet rather than the intended placement for XV416. It was either go with it or back to square one, I took the easy option but am still pleased with her.

RAF Leuchars was always my "local" air show, and when I lived in Aberdeen during my school days we would always detour past the end of the runway on the way to visit grandparents in Edinburgh. My love of aviation definitely started here and I have an affinity for anything that was based here from the late 70's until the base closure, the favourites without doubt being the Phantoms and Tornado's, both of which feature heavily in my stash. A 43 Sqn FG.1 is already underway for my next Phantom, and roll on Revell's 1/48 Tornado F.3! 

Anyway on with the pic's, hope she meets with your approval (seats to follow mind!):-

[URL=http://s128.photobucket.com/user/eng1170/media/00E31107-1703-48DF-9CF6-34D22DF0615C_zpsjktewhmo.jpg.html]00E31107-1703-48DF-9CF6-34D22DF0615C_zps[/URL]

All comments and criticism most welcome,

Rgds, 

Eng
  • Like 51

I've had the same one sitting on the shelf of doom for 2 years now after finding out it wasn't a T bird that I assumed it was. I hope when/if I ever do finish it it turns out somewhere as good as your one.

Duncan B

• Like 2

No doubt the seats have gone off to Martin Baker for overhaul.  A terrific looking Phantom with a beautiful finish.  Personally I prefer the earlier camouflage scheme to the later grey, although dark sea grey over white is my favourite!  Was this aircraft on loan to 64 sqn (228 OCU)?  Can't wait for the Airfix kit's release.

• Like 1

On 12 February 2017 at 5:34 PM, Learstang said:

Very nice job on the Phantom! This is a kit I've long thought about picking up.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, I can certainly recommend it as worth building, until Airfix produce their Phantom it's still the only game in town for a 1/72 RAF/RN Phantom.

On 12 February 2017 at 7:30 PM, Mountain goat said:

Great result - I like the neatness of the build especially - especially that crisp canopy and tidy finish. :goodjob:

-Jay

It was a balance between having that slightly weathered and worn look on what was, at that time, a relatively fresh airframe. Thanks Jay.

On 13 February 2017 at 2:51 PM, stevej60 said:

Excellent! Got to love a Phantom in British colours,superb job,the sun should be out in Glasgow in a decade or two!

Sod's Law Steve, back at work today and the weather improves! Thanks for the kind comments, really into the idea of a grey 43 Sqn jet now, and fully weathered!

On 13 February 2017 at 5:05 PM, Meatbox8 said:

No doubt the seats have gone off to Martin Baker for overhaul.  A terrific looking Phantom with a beautiful finish.  Personally I prefer the earlier camouflage scheme to the later grey, although dark sea grey over white is my favourite!  Was this aircraft on loan to 64 sqn (228 OCU)?  Can't wait for the Airfix kit's release.

I'm pretty sure the jet was on loan to 64 Sqn, hence the additional markings on the fin. Was pretty gutted at my error initially as I had just wanted the 111 Sqn markings on it, but it's growing on me. I do love that nose flash! MB better get those seats back asap or the SEngO will be in a spot of bother from the Sqn CO for his serviceability record ;)

Thanks to everyone else for your kind comments, enjoyed this build immensely.... couldnt help feeling once the camo was on it that I shouldn't have folded the wings, slightly lost its Phantom magic a bit.

Eng

• Like 1

Lovely work, an absolute belter. Always nice to see a Leuchars aircraft. Look forward to your 43 Squadron bird- just for the sake of balance you understand. I have the Fujimi FG.1, F3 & F4-K sitting in the stash waiting for me to summon up the courage to give them a go.

• Like 1

Lovely job Eng even though I'm not a great military aircraft fan.  When I was young we spent many family holidays at St Andrews and if there was nothing else doing I would often take myself off to Leuchars to spot trains and watch aircraft.  From that period - basically the late 1960s - my memories are of the Lightnings rather than the Phantoms but in later years my wife and I were regular visitors to the Leuchars show where the Phantoms featured prominently.  Although I've always been more interested in civil aviation, Leuchars is a place of happy memories and I still can't quite believe it isn't there any more.

• Like 2

Phabulous job! Looks nice in the camo, better than the grey all day long!. Ive got an iom one to build, wish I wasnt such a cheapskate and got the fujimi one as this looks great!

• Like 1