Classic Kits: Novoexport (ex-Frog) Blackburn Skua 1/72

Being currently struck by the flu I have some at home time that can be used for finishing some projects. Something I wanted to build for a long time was the Blackburn Skua (which sounds like Stuka but doesn't guarantee it!:lol:) I got hold of the old bagged Novo kit. Unfortunately the decals broke apart once immersed in water, so the spares box had to come to help. Lack of any instructions was not so problematic as there were only few parts to begin with. Fit of the outer wings was a bit iffy. Otherwise a basic model that leaves off some unimportant parts - like bombs. Why Frog did that is beyond me I have to say. I especially like the shape of the canopy and the tail section which I think makes this type outstanding in its design. Displayed with the original card ("Made in USSR").

dsc04330.jpg

dsc04331.jpg

dsc04332.jpg

dsc04333.jpg

dsc04334.jpg

dsc04335.jpg

dsc04336.jpg

• Like 7

That takes us back a long, long way! Revell re-boxed this kit in the mid-nineties, and I remember passing then.

Is it still the type of kit where you have to use a hot knife to melt the axle in order to secure the wheel?

I must say that the Skua is an acquired taste. Whatever, I really like your take on this kit!

You are a brave man, and I salute you!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks jean! Well, yes, the wheels are "melted" into place. Was not that easy since the soviet PS got very sticky in the process. If I would build another one I'd even attach the wings in folded in position, as I think this is easier than filling and sanding the big step that is there.

• Like 1