Help please - securing model to base

delta7

This may seem a bit obvious but what would be the best means of securing this model to the base ?

the model is 1/48th and the base is just printed paper over cardboard

My thoughts are glue - but might not be secure if knocked or tying down wheels by drilling small holes and using invisable thread

any help appreciated

IMG_2129_zpsqffq53w2.jpg

• Like 1

You could try rare earth magnets namely the smaller ones by drilling small holes in the tyres and gluing them flush with the bottom of the wheels and placing the corresponding magnet into the base beneath. Do check the polarity of the magnets so they grip properly when assembled

Drill small holes in the bottom of the wheels and insert a straightened paper clip. Drill corresponding holes in the base and push through. Cut off the excess underneth and glue in place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've actually had success with a spot of Araldite! I tried many of the ideas above but found it very difficult with a Bf109 undercarriage because of the angles. In the end blobs of Araldite worked very well (with due attention to touching up etc.!.

I'd definitely go for the drilled holes and paper clip/thick wire method. Best to drill the holes in the wheels before construction of the undercarriage, then once the model is finished insert the paper clip wires. Put a blob of paint on the end of each wire and touch them to the base to mark where the holes need to be drilled to match. Then apply thick CA to both ends of the wires and  fit everything together. For thin bases such as yours, push the wires right through the base and bend them over before fixing with CA. There's no need to cut them flush as they are out of sight..

I use the same method for figures, only drilling just the one hole up through a foot and up the lower leg. In my 'Villers Bocage' dio, I didn't bother fixing the wires into the dio base with CA, but left them unglued. By bending the wires slightly before inserting them into the straight holes in the base, I found that friction held the figures in place nicely, but they could easily be removed if required.

Rearguards,

Badder

I've always used straight sewing pins, clip the heads, and set into drilled holes in the tires with super glue.  When set, mart the spots on your base with a small dot, drill, apply glue and you're done.  Beware the pins once they set in the tires, ask me how I know.  Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I've always used PVA glue. Excess can be carefully washed with a brush.

None of my models have ever become unstuck, still as solid as the day they were glued.

Even this Land Rover is solid and I bet it is heavier than the aircraft.