Mosquito PR Mk.IV HB-IMO in memory of popeye

Basilisk

On 24/03/2017 at 9:31 PM, MickE said:

Looking great, good progress.

Mick

Thanks Mick.

On 28/03/2017 at 5:38 PM, CedB said:

Just caught up with this one and I love the internals Peter - good job :) 

I've had the same problem, in the same place, with the fuselage fit and I think it might be the i/p join? Too late to investigate now but I'll watch out for it on the next one!

Thanks Ced. But which fuselage fit issue are you referring to?

On 30/03/2017 at 6:42 AM, Biggles87 said:

Another late arrival here, just in time for the painting.

John

Still a bit to go till I am ready for painting, but not too much longer.

I didn't touch the airframe this week, but mucked around with the wheels instead. As mentioned earlier, I am using Armory replacement wheels.

HB-IMO-2.jpg

Unfortunately they are a mixed bag. the tyre is represented very nicely and is a big improvement over the kit representation. But the rest is rather poor as the wheel is a bit too large and the hub is too small. In addition, the wheel is nearly 1mm too wide :locked:

It also represent the later type with the brake hubs on both sides. Fortunately there are loose hubs in the Tamya kit. So I drilled out the Armory hub and glued in the Tamiya part.

HB-IMO-19.jpg

And to reduce the width, I sawed the wheel in half and sanded it down to make it fit within the undercarriage assembly. At least gluing the hubs into the wheel was easier this way.

The Armory set also contained a resin tail wheel, but it is the early plain type (go figure) whereby the Tamiya kit contains the later twin contact anti-shimmy tail wheel type. But which type was fitted on HB-IMO?

All the pictures I had show the tail wheel in the shadow, making it impossible to see what type it is. But then I came across this picture.

HB-IMO-22.jpg

It is the early type as the dirt on the tyre wouldn't show like that with a anti-shimmy tail wheel in place.

I already had the Tamiya tail wheel glued together which made it a bit harder to remove the twin contact tail wheel so that I can fit the Armory one.

HB-IMO-23.jpg

And here are all the  wheels ready for painting.

HB-IMO-20.jpg

HB-IMO-21.jpg

It was a bit of an effort to get there but I think the result does look much better than the kit wheels. :D

The canopy is next and I am still thinking how to do the internal framing :hmmm:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

On 01/04/2017 at 14:52, Basilisk said:

Thanks Ced. But which fuselage fit issue are you referring to?

It's the little bit of filler you had around the join above the little 'clip' in the shot in this post. It's only tiny I know but irritated me on the NF version.

Nice work on the wheels!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2017 at 8:23 AM, CedB said:

It's the little bit of filler you had around the join above the little 'clip' in the shot in this post. It's only tiny I know but irritated me on the NF version.

Nice work on the wheels!

OK, I got it. I tried to make sure that the bottom part is aligned properly due to the raised detail. The top part is easier to sand.

Anyway, I made some further progress on this build. The control surfaces are now attached.

HB-IMO-24.jpg

HB-IMO-25.jpg

Enhanced the navigation lights.

HB-IMO-26.jpg

Opened up the engine air intake.

HB-IMO-27.jpg

And reduced the rivet size (more appropriate to be on a steam boiler) on top of the wing.

HB-IMO-28.jpg

Not much but every progress counts :D

By the way, what is the colour of the wing root radiator internals? Any ideas?

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 3

Excuse me for the side comment but judging from all the photos on page 1 IMO the spinners are blue, likely PRU blue.

The color photo confirms this.

Very interesting subject anyways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, occa said:

Excuse me for the side comment but judging from all the photos on page 1 IMO the spinners are blue, likely PRU blue.

The color photo confirms this.

Very interesting subject anyways.

Interesting observation occa, but I am not convinced.

Yes one spinner looks like PRU blue on the colour picture, but the other looks more like Sky Grey.

Mosquito-E42-2.jpg

And who knows, this is maybe a colourized image.

Looking at the picture below, I have no doubt that the spinners had been Sky Grey as it matches the hues of that colour.

Mosquito-HB-IMO-4.jpg

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Great progress, Peter. I very much like your improvements of position lights. Cheers

Jure

Thanks Jure. I am still working on the Mosquito and I hope to get the model primed this week. Will show some pictures when some paint is on.

How is your Heron progressing?

Cheers, Peter

I like the improvemts you've made, but sawing wheels in half, that's really above and beyond the call. I think the colour scheme will be really striking and lift it out of the ordinary.

On an unrelated subject, I am about to try my 1/32 HGW rivets on a Spitfire. I have looked at your Battle of Britain build from 2015 for reference, can you tell me if the rivets were applied direct onto the primer of did you gloss/polish it first.

Thanks in advance.

John

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Peter

Heron is progressing much slower than I expected as my inner rivet counter broke out and took over, with predictable results. Nevertheless, I will post what I have managed to do so far by the evening. Cheers

Jure

I know how it feels. At the end it is all a compromise and finishing or not finishing a model ;) I am looking forward seeing your progress on the Heron.

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I like the improvemts you've made, but sawing wheels in half, that's really above and beyond the call.

Thanks John. Unfortunately I had no choice in the matter as the undercarriage struts didn't go together with the Armory wheel in between as it was way too wide. So the choice was going back to the Tamiya wheel ore making the Armory wheel narrower. And as I like the tire pattern representation on the Armory wheel (which is the only thing I like on this dam thing), I made the surgery.

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

On an unrelated subject, I am about to try my 1/32 HGW rivets on a Spitfire. I have looked at your Battle of Britain build from 2015 for reference, can you tell me if the rivets were applied direct onto the primer of did you gloss/polish it first.

Yes I applied the rivets direct onto the primer. HGW recommends Mr. Surfacer 1000 which is the one I used. I actually made some tests with Mr. Surfacer 1000 and Mr. Surfacer 1500 and the 1000 variant gave a  nicer finish with a very smooth surface.

But if you use another primer you may like to give the primed surface a polish first.

I hope the riveting will be successful for you. I does look great but needs time and patience. HGW rivets look great to represent dome head rivets as used on the Hurricane, but not countersunk rivets as used on a Spitfire. There a riveting tool like Rosie the Riveter gives better results and is much faster to do as well.

No riveting to do on the Mosquito :(

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2