Mosquito PR Mk.IV HB-IMO in memory of popeye

Basilisk

Got some wear done on the cockpit. I kept it minimal as it was a rather new airframe.

HB-IMO-11.jpg

Decided to use some Sutton harnesses due to the early production airframe. I didn't like the look of the decal harnesses so I fitted some Eduard PE Sutton harnesses I  had in my stash

HB-IMO-12.jpg

I am not sure if it was my doing, but the side windows on the nose had been a poor fit. Did sand them flush with the fuselage and gave them a polish. Looks ok now, but may have to use a smaller mask to hide the filler.

HB-IMO-13.jpg

The fuselage is now ready for getting it together.

But it will be next week as I like to do more on the Venom now and get my teeth into the DH 88 Comet over the weekend which I build in the Prototype GB.

Cheers. Peter

• Like 7

Just catching up with this. I really enjoy this sort of colour research- especially when an air force has taken possession of an aircraft from another air force. I also get a real sense from the photos that this aircraft was carefully maintained and painted accordingly- those new markings and camo touch-ups were not slapped on with a 5 inch brush!

Will

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I do enjoy researching the history of the aircraft I build as much as building it. But at the end I still have to make some educated guesses in regards to the colours used on HB-IMO. Fortunately there is still some time until I reach the painting stage.

Cheers, Peter

Very interesting history and build project. I have just noticed on Hannants that they have the LF Models decal sheet for B-5 in their special offers. The colour pattern layout seems standard but is it as accurate as the notes in earlier posts I wonder.

• Like 1

Yes LF Models has decals for the two Swiss Mosquitos in different stages. But B-5 is the second Mosquito and not this aircraft.

I am afraid, there is little progress with the build. Got the fuselage together.

HB-IMO-14.jpg

Some re-scribing was in place after attaching the bomb bay doors.

HB-IMO-15.jpg

And here is how the cockpit looks with the fuselage closed.

HB-IMO-16.jpg

Attaching the wings are next.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 3

Thanks Jure. Would be nice if your prophecy is correct, but I think that it will take me a bit longer than three or four weeks to finishing it. Doesn't really matter as long as it will be finished by the deadline of the GB.

Cheers, Peter

That is a great looking Mosquito cockpit Peter & as one who has been priviliged to have sat in the real thing, albeit a FB.VI rather than a B Mk IV, it catches the look very nicely. I'm looking forward to the rest of your build, I'm sure Rolf would have been impressed as well.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind comments.

On 19/03/2017 at 0:16 PM, stevehnz said:

That is a great looking Mosquito cockpit Peter & as one who has been priviliged to have sat in the real thing, albeit a FB.VI rather than a B Mk IV, it catches the look very nicely. I'm looking forward to the rest of your build, I'm sure Rolf would have been impressed as well.

Steve.

Would be great to experience sitting in a Mossie. I been in many cockpits but unfortunately never in a Mosquito.

16 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Peter

I think you are too modest. While I may have been carried away by your swift progress in my original estimate, I do not think there is any questions about finishing your Mosquito by the end of the GB. Cheers

Jure

I guess we will see Jure. But I too are confident that I should finish this build in the duration of this GB.

On 19/03/2017 at 9:35 PM, Grandboof said:

Great work so far Keep going 

Martin H

17 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Peter

Very good job on the cockpit :clap2:

Patrice

14 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Looking good so far.

I don't think my cockpit is anything special, but it should be sufficient with the canopy in place to create a busy look in 1/72.

The USAF Museum site has some great 360 degree cockpi pictures including the Mosquito! This is the cockpit view and here is the view from the nose. It is nearly impossible to create something like this in 1/72 :(

I had the wings completed a while ago and finally got them fitted to the fuselage. :D

HB-IMO-17.jpg

HB-IMO-18.jpg

I removed the elevators as most stationary Mosquitoes have them dropped and the rudder when I had the saw out already.

I also removed the strengthening strake and the de-icer jet housing in front of the canopy as most of the Series II Mk.IV didn't have them fitted yet. In addition I thinned the trailing edges of the wing to look more to scale as the Tamiya representation is a bit on the heavy side. Unfortunately I got some parts a bit too thin and some repair was needed. :wall:

Still needs a bit of tidy up and attaching of some of the smaller parts.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 5

Hello, Peter

I take my previous post back. This kit is going to be finished by the mid-April.

By the way, I remember that in one of your posts you remarked that anyone can participate in group builds. I am obviously to late for DH GB but Bf 109 STGB and From Russia with love interest me a lot. So, what would be a proper procedure to join in? Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Great idea to join in the fun with the Bf 109 STGB and From Russia with love GB. I too will participate in them.

Just start a post when the Gb has commenced and document your progress - everyone is welcome to do so. But if you think you can build a dH aircraft by mid June, just get started with a build in this GB - never too late.

Cheers, Peter

33 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Peter

I take my previous post back. This kit is going to be finished by the mid-April.

By the way, I remember that in one of your posts you remarked that anyone can participate in group builds. I am obviously to late for DH GB but Bf 109 STGB and From Russia with love interest me a lot. So, what would be a proper procedure to join in? Cheers

Jure

Good afternoon Jure

This Gb last until 24 June 2017  so I think that you have plenty of time left to join us and have fun building a Mosquito  ;)

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2

Hello, Peter, Patrice and Steve

Thank you for information and your encouragement about GB, more than three months should be more than enough. So, this evening I am going to indulge in opening boxes, weighting merits of one kit over another and making decision about which plane from scores of DH kits I have in my stash to build. I am probably going to start a new thread tomorrow. Cheers

Jure

• Like 3

I am sure you won't regret joining the fun here. Deciding what to build and finding all the information for the build is an activity I enjoy a lot.

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Just caught up with this one and I love the internals Peter - good job :) 

I've had the same problem, in the same place, with the fuselage fit and I think it might be the i/p join? Too late to investigate now but I'll watch out for it on the next one!

• Like 1