DHC Caribou 1/72 Hobbycraft - UN markings - Finished

HansReggelsen

This is fun! :D

Caribou018_zps0qmx9nu4.jpg

Caribou019_zps3gqxzcot.jpg

Caribou020_zpssqvlqkkt.jpg

1b8b4ee1-400c-460e-9e30-be5fb717c975_zps

I'll use black for the walk-zones, whose edges will be masked off later. 

Then as a base I'll use a light gray followed by the white!

I think I'll finish the whole fuselage with decals 'n all before doing the wings.

That's a new route for me, so I hope it works, but why shouldn't it. I've seen other do it, so 'How hard can it be?' :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 5

Things are speeding up now! :D

Caribou022_zpsyluusuo1.jpg

Caribou023_zpsgmpvbfub.jpg

I plan on doing the black stripes on the wings with paint as well. 

1) First black paint along the chosen lines.

2) Mask of the lines

3) A light coat of gray to dampend the black

4) Coat(s) of silver/aluminium - I haven't really decided yet which kind of silver/aluminium I'll use - Humbroll or Model Master? :hmmm: I don't do Alclad.

Hans J

• Like 4

Had some modelling buddies over for a 'cuppa Jawa' last night - but we didn't get any modelling done though as the evening was spend doing a lot of 'mental building' and generally catching up! It was basic 'hygge'! :D

So this morning I started doing some masking:

caribou024_zpsc0vjgizs.jpg

Hans J

• Like 7

I just caught up Hans, and you've nearly finished!

I have one in the stash, I'm not sure if I have room for it, but this build will help if I decide that I have :).

Very fast work, very good work too. I like the webbing decals :thumbsup2: .

Great method for the black lines on the wings.

Looking forward to seeing the white.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi - Pardon if I've been absent for a couple of days, but I've been pondering. :hmmm:

The 'UN'-decals in the kit are light blue which is fine by me, but then I stumpled upon this picture (you'll have to scroll down a bit)

http://www.dhc-2.com/Ken_Marshall_Military.html

Now on this picture of '323' the 'UN' markings are clearly very much darker (black?) :hmmm:

Now my build is os '320', but I would guess that the markings would be similar? :hmmm:

But - Alas - yestereve I rummaged through my decals and found, that I have a Tamiya 1/35 decalsheet #66518 "Gulf Operations" which has UN markings -  in black:thumbsup:

As luck would have it they are the right size! How lucky can one be. :yahoo:

So I'm on track again! :D

Of course, I did ponder with the idea of masking the 'UN', but I didn't want to push my luck! ;)

Watch this space for further modelling! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 3

Maybe I think too much, but I've noticed, that the 'United Nations' on the nose is much darker as well, which - to me - means that if I change the 'UN' to black I'll have to change the 'United Nations' as well! :hmmm:

I think I'll just go with what is in the box so at least the colours of the two markings are the same - Now - with that settled, My heart will go on...as will the Caribou! :winkgrin:

Cheers - and thanks for putting up with my ramblings! :bye:

Hans J

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

5 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Maybe I think too much, but I've noticed, that the 'United Nations' on the nose is much darker as well, which - to me - means that if I change the 'UN' to black I'll have to change the 'United Nations' as well! :hmmm:

I think I'll just go with what is in the box so at least the colours of the two markings are the same - Now - with that settled, My heart will go on...as will the Caribou! :winkgrin:

Cheers - and thanks for putting up with my ramblings! :bye:

Hans J

The large UN is in a darker Blue, as the nose titles - NOT black.  In theory and drawings they were light blue - in practice darker blue.  Wings should be in natural metal on several aircraft in this combination, 321, 322, 323 were seen in white and natural metal, while 320 were natural metal only.  On the service drawings the wings starting change to white on January 9, 1963.  There were several UN schemes used by the RCAF/CAF over the years. 

Patrick Martin

• Like 2

Hi Patrick! :D

Thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

In looking at the picture again, I can see the the UN markings are indeed NOT black but a deep blue - Roundel Blue, perhaps? :hmmm:

Anyway, my problem stays the same, and I think I'll have go with what's in the box - the light blue markings.:blush:

However, you say, that 320 - the one for which I have the decals, were natural metal only. Was this the wings only or the whole plane? :hmmm:

Thanks in advance. :D

Hans J

• Like 1

I'm back! :D

Thanks to the help from Patrick, :thanks: I decided to make my own masks for the 'UN' and 'United Nation'. 

Here's what I did::hmmm:

First the 'United Nation' using Letraset letters:

caribou025_zpslnn348ih.png

The 'UN' required a different approach, where I used a Tamiya decalsheet as template - the kit decals were too slim anyway:

caribou026_zps3elaf5gi.jpg

I hope this is of help! The blue comes out a bit lighter than it actually is. :whistle:

Now - finally - I can get on with the painting - firstly a coat of gray followed by white for the fuselage and silver/aluminium for the wings. :D

Hans J

PS How do you like the new presentation? :hmmm:

Edited by HansReggelsen
Extra information
  • Like 4

Optimus Prime! - well actually only prime(r)! :winkgrin:

A little update - is it just me, but do most modelling consists of waiting for paint to dry? :hmmm:

Caribou027_zpsjcs57js9.jpg

Caribou028_zpscgavijrm.jpg

I've never tried this before, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll perform! :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 2

And we continue. :winkgrin:

Caribou029_zpsbo4dovmp.jpg

Now this time I'll leave it alone - for real - at least 24 hours (!) because the 'United Nations' letters on the nose has to be removed using tape and I want to be sure that the paint doesn't come off. :yikes:

Now the 'UN' letters are altogether a different matter....maybe just a little peek....:rolleyes:

As I write in the photo the next thing are 1-2 coats of clear gloss for the decals - then decaling - then another coat of gloss to prevent silvering and then a coat of semimatt - like the Harrier.

Then - and only then - will I paint the wings silver/aluminium. I don't want to risk having metallic flakes popping up in the clear coats, so I'll 'Sit and wait - just sit and wait!' :D

Hans J

..and it's friday and the weekend starts! :thumbsup:

The last couple of days have been quiet as I just have been giving the model two coats of gloss varnish in preparation for the decals.

So I literally have watched paint dry! :waiting:

Anyway - here goes:

Caribou032_zpsjm2aguga.jpg

i hope to have this one finished by the 1'st of april, as there is a modelshow in our neighbouring city of Randers the day after, and I would like to bring this one along with Harrier.

As I have said before, I don't participate in competitions, but I like to bring models on display. :D

Let's see how the coming week turns out! :hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Lovely work Hans. There are some very nice scratch built details in the cockpit.

Thanks. I can't wait to get the masking off and see how much one can actually see of it! :winkgrin:

Hans J