Otter Armoured Car - 1:72 IBG Models

Paul A H

Otter Armoured Car

1:72 IBG Models

otter_01.jpg

The Otter armoured car was a Canadian designed light reconnaissance vehicle, similar in layout to the British Humber armoured car but based on the Chevrolet C15 military truck chassis. The Otter was both larger and heavier than the Humber, but made up for this with a more powerful six cylinder liquid cooled engine. It was protected by armour up to 12mm thick and was armed with a Bren light machine gun and a Boys anti-tank rifle. The Canadian manufacturer produced over 1700 examples by the end of the War. It saw action with the Canadian Army in the Italy and France, and was also used by the South African Army and the RAF Regiment. After the War it was used by the Netherlands and Jordan. 

Since the release of their first indigenous kit in 2008, IBG Models have built up an impressive catalogue of models, most notably in 1:35 and 1:72 scale. Don't make the mistake of assuming they are another manufacturer of limited run kits from Central and Eastern Europe though. Having seen their recent output, I would place them at or near the top of the order of manufacturers of small scale AFV kits. This new kit of the Otter is a very welcome addition to the range. It arrives packed into a surprisingly large top-opening box inside which are a two frames of crisply moulded grey plastic, a small fret of photo etched brass parts and a small decal sheet. The plastic parts are crisply moulded and well detailed, although the attachment points for a lot of the parts are rather thick.

otter_02.jpg

otter_03.jpg

Construction starts with the engine. This is comprised four parts, including a separately moulded exhaust manifold and fan. The axles and brake assemblies can also be constructed at this stage, along with the leaf spring suspension units, all of which fix to the simple ladder-type chassis along with the drive shafts, transfer box and exhaust. The small, open top turret for the Bren gun can also be assembled at this stage. Apart from the Bren itself – which is a lovely piece of moulding – the turret includes a detailed mount and seat. Once the oily bits have been fixed to the chassis, the floor pan of the vehicle can be assembled. This includes most of what you need to detail the interior, including two multi-part seats, the steering wheel, instrument binnacle and other details. A couple of Lee Enfield rifles are also included for stowage on the inside of the hull sides. 

otter_04.jpg

The frontal armour includes separately moulded hatches for the driver and commander/gunner, but the instructions show them fitted in the closed position only. A little scratch building might be necessary in order to pose them in the open position. My one real problem with this kit is the fact that although the hatches can (theoretically) be opened and there is a pretty decent interior, IBG have not included the Boys anti-tank rifle. I can't for the life of me understand this decision, particularly as it is shown on the box artwork. Much as I like this kit and am grateful to IBG for producing it, this is a real head scratcher. Anyway, the rest of the build in straightforward, with much of the hull made up of separate parts and nice details such as individually moulded tools (the hallmark of a well-detailed AFV kit in this scale). Extras such as a photo etched pierced steel plank and mud flaps are also included. Markings are included for Otters of the 12th Carpathian Rifle Division of the Polish II Corps, Italy and HQ Platoon, 11th Field Company, Royal Canadian Engineers, 2nd Infantry Division, Normandy 1944.

Conclusion

I really enjoy reviewing IBG's kits, and it's great to see them turn out another cracker in the form of this Otter. Detail is excellent and, apart from hefty attachment points, the quality of manufacture looks to be up there with the very best. The inclusion of photo etched parts is welcome too. It's a shame that crew figures, such as those included with their recent Type 89 tank, haven't been included. It's even more of a shame that the Boys anti-tank rifle is missing too, but nonetheless this kit can still be highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of IBG Models

logo.gif

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I should have mentioned the individual track links....They are very small ...Oh dear!

I would be wary of the template, and try to build them on a flat surface instead in sections.  Glue them to the wheels in sections before the they go off too hard.

I spite of that trauma I have done two.

Good Luck

Steve

4 hours ago, Stephen Hawkins said:

I should have mentioned the individual track links....They are very small ...Oh dear

I spite of that trauma I have done two.

Good Luck

Steve

Many thanks but it was the Otter I bought (and it arrived today). Looks a very nice kit apart from the wheels which are going to be replaced (possibly by a set from Seans Military Models).

Having said that I have at least 5 of the bren carriers in the stash so your tip will be very useful.

All the best 

Ben

I have an Otter as well, in the stash and have done a couple of their C15 trucks.  Overly complicated and not for the beginner.  The chassis really could have been molded as one piece instead of 25 pieces!  But they are well detailed.

Just steeling myself for the Otter.

Cheers