Airfix 1/48 Lightning F.2A

I thought (or hoped) there might be one or two little additions that I added to it that might give the ex-staff some fond memories of rapping knuckles, losing skin or just inventing a whole new language on, like hydraulic tank reservoirs, or the red handle  in front of the port horizontal stabiliser :D

4 hours ago, Dazza said:

All that outstanding detailing work but, no weighted tyres? Not a criticism, your skills are vastly superior to mine, just curious why you omitted such a basic detail?

-Daz

Didn't have any to put on it. Pity Airfix didn't include weighted options as they have done with later mouldings since this one (I'm pretty sure their Canberra is from about the same era and that one does)

IIRC Lightning's had very high pressure tyres, looking at pics they don't really have 'weighted tyres' just a flat spot at the bottom...(well it wouldn't really be at the top..!! :D)

Really good to have another look at this superb Frightning!

Keith

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jasman71 said:

Didn't have any to put on it. Pity Airfix didn't include weighted options as they have done with later mouldings since this one (I'm pretty sure their Canberra is from about the same era and that one does)

Still, an exceptional model nonetheless, well done! :D

-Daz

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jasman71 said:

...I read somewhere that the tyres were only good for a few landings before they were changed. That's a heck of a turnaround in the lifetime of one airframe

Indeed, cross wind landings resulted in a main gear tyre change after every landing iirc. The short lifespan of the tyres was also the reason that you never, or at least very very rarely, saw Lightnings doing 'rollers', they almost without exception did low approach and go-arounds instead, and that was assuming they actually had any fuel left after a sortie!

-Daz

• Like 1