Tomahawk Mk.IIb duel, Airfix vs Academy 1/48

Carry on Tomahawk!

That should've been a movie I think..

Today some paint was shot in the general direction of to A/C.

I decided on Gunze H310 (FS30219) to represent Dupont 71-009, and this is the result:
33241685273_9b1d1ba39e_o.jpg
Airfix on the left, Academy to the right.
This picture really shows the dangers in trying to judge color from a picture!
Both are black based, the paint was laid down on the same occasion and photographed at the same time. I guess the direction of the sun has some effect, even though it was a solid overcast.

Oh well, here is a more "neutral shot"
33668586620_c889905fb4_o.jpg
Both models then received a coat of Alclad Aqua gloss in preparation for tomorrows masking session.

Have a nice warm Easter everyone!

There weather forecast are threatening with snow...

• Like 3

No comments or likes for the last few days?

I must be doing something wrong then...

Today's conundrum: Green paint.

Dupont 71-013 is supposed to be a equivalent for RAF Dark Green, but it did not (Surprise!)
AFAIK it has no good match to any existing colors, so I followed what I had read here
http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/AVG_cammo/
and mixed up some paint to splash on a 1/24 Tiffy droptank
33290318133_02b9c744c0_o.jpg
To the left, two parts FS 34092 and on FS 34079 (from Gunze, kan remember the #) to the right Tamiya XF-13 + XF-5 and one part Gunze Sky
Both were a little off I felt, and decided to go for XF13+XF5 instead (middle)
How did it turn out?
Like so
33290316763_3b764c6a83_o.jpg
33290316473_aa61e5c799_o.jpg
Just as I wanted it!

How about the other one then?

Well it did receive Mid stone, but something did not turn out how I wanted it.
33290317613_7c58b5d1b7_o.jpg
Color separation especially on the wings is awful. It looks like I've outlined it with a marker or somethg.

Sod it, lets do a repaint!

• Like 3

How on earth did I miss this? :crying:

you're making a wonderful job of these Christer. I've just caught up but ran out of likes so here take this "LIKE" I'll be following from now on if that's ok. I really would like to build the Airfix one. The paintwork is stunning. Pitty about the academy scene but I'm sure you'll sort it out. Bravo sir. :clap2:

john

• Like 1

Thanks John and Bruce!

The Barracuda decals only comes with roundels for one machine and starting to think I should paint the roundels and fin flash on the Airfix one.

I'll see if Miracle Paint masks wants to sell me some.

Resin exchausts have been considered, probably Eduard though. Will see how far I can get with drilling and painting on the regular ones first!

Fantastic paint work Christer! Was the desert scheme one the one you masked with blu-tack? I've had the same thing happen, you can minimize it with some dry brushing, but I don't know if it's necessary - I come across that sort of delineation on reference pics of real aircraft all the time.

It's also fascinating how Dark Earth seems to change in different light and adjacent to different colors.

Great progress on these. Blu-tack masking can be a swine. I find it's all down to the mixture of the paint and the angle at which you aim at the mask. Too runny and it pools around the tak and not aiming the airbrush in all the nooks and crannys leaves a blur with the darker colour showing underneath to give you the felt tip line you mention. Sorry if I'm doing the whole suck eggs thing! Anyhow, sure you'll get them it as you want it - I actually think they both look great and in some ways I think I prefer the slight blend on the desert camo. Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers, JB.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-04-20 at 0:10 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic paint work Christer! Was the desert scheme one the one you masked with blu-tack? I've had the same thing happen, you can minimize it with some dry brushing, but I don't know if it's necessary - I come across that sort of delineation on reference pics of real aircraft all the time.

It's also fascinating how Dark Earth seems to change in different light and adjacent to different colors.

Thanks Cookie!

Yes, the desert one was blu-tacked, but the main problem I think was n not making the entire top side in Dark Earth before Mid stone. That would've removed all dark lines that didn't match the panel lines.  I'm not used to black basing, but I'll promise to make the next black one better!

On 2017-04-22 at 0:21 AM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Great progress on these. Blu-tack masking can be a swine. I find it's all down to the mixture of the paint and the angle at which you aim at the mask. Too runny and it pools around the tak and not aiming the airbrush in all the nooks and crannys leaves a blur with the darker colour showing underneath to give you the felt tip line you mention. Sorry if I'm doing the whole suck eggs thing! Anyhow, sure you'll get them it as you want it - I actually think they both look great and in some ways I think I prefer the slight blend on the desert camo. Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers, JB.

Thank JB!

What I didn't like was the overspray, and the black streaks here and there.

Anyway, I've repainted the offending areas, and also postshaded some of the DE parts.

33703537073_af51d801b1_h.jpg

Ready for a clearcoat and stickers then!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thank JB!

What I didn't like was the overspray, and the black streaks here and there.

Anyway, I've repainted the offending areas, and also postshaded some of the DE parts.

Ready for a clearcoat and stickers then!

Looking goooood. I've been eyeing up Airfix's Tomahawk for a while now... you might just be convincing me. It's that or their new Me 262 which is supposedly out next month. What's the bit of light blue down towards the tail? 

Great stuff :)

JB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Looking goooood. I've been eyeing up Airfix's Tomahawk for a while now... you might just be convincing me. It's that or their new Me 262 which is supposedly out next month. What's the bit of light blue down towards the tail? 

Great stuff :)

JB

Thanks!

Go right ahead and order an Airfix Tomahawk - they're great! Or wait a little while for the RAF version to show up:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/curtiss-tomahawk-mk-iib-1-48.html

The Azure blue patch is an overpainted area that Barracudacals had me do. It states that this machine was repainted at depot with azure blue (without masks, so probably with 2" overspray) and mid stone, and that there also was a patch like this at the rear. I haven't looked for pictures of this machine, so I cannot tell if it's right or wrong, but Barracuda is usually very knowledgeable so who am I to argue?

14 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks!

Go right ahead and order an Airfix Tomahawk - they're great! Or wait a little while for the RAF version to show up:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/curtiss-tomahawk-mk-iib-1-48.html

The Azure blue patch is an overpainted area that Barracudacals had me do. It states that this machine was repainted at depot with azure blue (without masks, so probably with 2" overspray) and mid stone, and that there also was a patch like this at the rear. I haven't looked for pictures of this machine, so I cannot tell if it's right or wrong, but Barracuda is usually very knowledgeable so who am I to argue?

Aha! This might be my first 1:48 scale that I've been promising (and threatening) the wife with for a while now. I do love a P-40/Tomahawk. Hopefully as their 1:48 P-40 has been out a few months now there might already be some PE/resin/masks to supplement on release...

Now you come to mention it, the overspray does dredge up something in my memory. Will have a butchers for my own curiosity. 

Wonderful work again and looking forward to the next progress report.

JB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, let's resume the normal Tomahawk business then.

Looking at the Academy battle axe, and the instructions a few times I noticed that I had missed the yellow leading edge bands. Even though two roundels were in place there was no way to sneak around it. Time to break out the tape and spray (and pray!)
33962718733_79b3138504_o.jpg
It seems that Post-it and Tamiya's white tape for curves does not lift decals.
34385943690_7e1053af65_o.jpg
Whew!
33929617194_b8a6cb5dfc_o.jpg
After that it was just to carry on with all the decals. Most important part first!
33962718333_0065d4cac0_o.jpg
I just love Cartograf decals!
33962718183_6a09efe5bb_o.jpg

I wonder about the stencils though...I have two sets of them, but since the machine was repainted in the field, maybe they didn't bother about the stencils?

Or maybe they did?

As I pondered these hard questions I read through the Barracuda decal instructions one more time.

Ah yes, it says right there that this aircraft did not carry yellow id bands.

That's just typical.

Time for the disaster to strike!

I got a set of Montex masks for the Airfix Tomhawk, which I duly started to attach all over the model.

33929617344_57ce4b7348_o.jpg

This should've raised some alarms. A 1mm gap all around the upper wing roundel is not ideal...

Stubbornly, I carried on regardless

33962718483_1e48a2917b_o.jpg

I did cover all gaps with some maskol. What could possibly go wrong?

34385943510_0448815565_o.jpg

The paint got on all right-ish

33962718013_d371f5d043_o.jpg

Some paint splatter on the fin, but I thought I could live with that.

And then I started to remove all the masks

34410830490_5ef1fdf4b8_o.jpg

33987378963_44f32e19c6_o.jpg

Roundels that were not round, misalignments and paint runs all over the place.

Sigh.

I sanded everything off, and will repaint the affected areas....

Next time, I'll use decals!

In the meantime, I'll head off to an IPMS summercamp for 3 days, for some therapeutic modelling.

No Tomahawks will tag along on this roadtrip, but the little Yak-23 and a Spitfire VIII and a secret project will!

• 1 month later...

My my the time does fly!

It's almost 2 months since the last update, and with 4 weeks of vacation underway its time to do something about it.

But first, let's have 1 week off in the middle of Sweden, to a Ski resort calle Sälen Lindvallen for some much needed mountain-biking.

Great fun!
20157175_10207092873518930_7186170383923

Now i just need to find 2000£ to buy me a new bike...

Back to the bench then. I got some Trumpeter P-40 decals from a friend and one shuld not look a gifted horse in the mouth, but I still felt that the roundel red was a lot more cheerful than dull red.

After digging through the decal stash I found some airfix Hurricane decals from 30+ years ago.

They looked about right, and also some Top side ones that might work although a little small.
36062006626_b5c45dc4f7_h.jpg
Naturally, those old decals shatered the instant they left tha backing paper.

No use!

I resorted to the trumpeter ones after all, and slightly cursed myself since I used the best roundels on the Academy Tomahawk.

36103089445_c70da7117c_h.jpg
Oh well, this will do.

Not all stencils are in place yet, but I added as many as could be seen on the dark earth areas of the Academy Tomahawk. It was repainted in the field, and my guess is that the just overpainted all stencils, since a lot of the other markings shows some degree of overspray and so on.

Hopefully I cen do the rest of the stencils for Airfix later on today.

35295061223_951bf6ebd3_h.jpg

To add some excitement, both models are now signed up for a show in less than two weeks.

Time to get cracking!

• Like 1

Todays was a dirty day appearantly.

Well it rains on the outside, and I'm doing a wash on my Tomahawks, with florys brown stuff:

36073891452_363e0b0825_o.jpg
36073891862_bc085bcfa5_o.jpg
After wiping it of I was left with this:
36240532635_a0cf7eebe6_o.jpg
Well, it wasn't quite looking desert-y enough så I startet rubbing in pigments
36073891642_4d3891765c_o.jpg
Quite fun actually!
36073891672_ba4824ba2f_o.jpg
Also added some streaks hear and there with my trusty airbrush.
36240532555_52ba51e960_o.jpg
35848054470_0dd89f35b6_o.jpg
Almost done now!

Or perhaps not when looking at all the unfinished unpainted parts...

Well, it's less than a week left to finish it but that should still be doable!

• Like 3