Mustang IVA YT-E KH 695

Andre B

There was a thread on BM recently that suggested that Mustangs were supplied in ANA equivalent paints. In Humbrol terms these would be:

Hu155 for the Dark Green

Hu126 for the Ocean Grey

Hu129 for the Med Sea Grey

John.

1 hour ago, johnd said:

There was a thread on BM recently that suggested that Mustangs were supplied in ANA equivalent paints. In Humbrol terms these would be:

Hu155 for the Dark Green

Hu126 for the Ocean Grey

Hu129 for the Med Sea Grey

John.

If it hadn't been re-painted  since delivery from the US they would be good matches. Images of YT-E show it wearing a camo scheme unofficially christened 'The Loop Scheme' (from the excellent 3 Sdqn RAAF website), which is strongly indicative of an MU level repaint in British MAP paints prior to being issued to 65 Sqdn.

The Loop Scheme

Worth having a look around the other pages on the site, some very useful stuff there!

Regards,

Mark.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

If it hadn't been re-painted  since delivery from the US they would be good matches. Images of YT-E show it wearing a camo scheme unofficially christened 'The Loop Scheme' (from the excellent 3 Sdqn RAAF website), which is strongly indicative of an MU level repaint in British MAP paints prior to being issued to 65 Sqdn.

The Loop Scheme

Worth having a look around the other pages on the site, some very useful stuff there!

Regards,

Mark.

I agree with that Mark,

KH 695, YT-E had "the Loop sheme" not "the firewall scheme" and was for sure repainted in UK in British paints. So Hu 126, Hu 129 and Hu 155 is not correct for this aircraft. Images of KH 695 shows that the Italeri instructions of this aircraft is wrong and one wonder what made Italeri to make KH 695 but with letters in wrong style and colour. And for what I knew it didn't fly from Italy but from UK when the aircraft was forcelanded in Sweden...

http://www.model-making.eu/products/item_name-113377.html

Regards.

André

The 'loop scheme's stuff looks interesting.

Agree with Steve, 116 or 163. Hu30 isn't very convincing even in its corrected form. I thought I'd put that in my first post but must have either forgotten or overtyped it. The perils of wine!

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

I agree with that Mark,

KH 695, YT-E had "the Loop sheme" not "the firewall scheme" and was for sure repainted in UK in British paints. So Hu 126, Hu 129 and Hu 155 is not correct for this aircraft. Images of KH 695 shows that the Italeri instructions of this aircraft is wrong and one wonder what made Italeri to make KH 695 but with letters in wrong style and colour. And for what I knew it didn't fly from Italy but from UK when the aircraft was forcelanded in Sweden...

http://www.model-making.eu/products/item_name-113377.html

Regards.

André

Andre,

KH695 was flying from RAF Peterhead at the time of its force landing in Sweden. RAF Peterhead is a short drive north of Aberdeen and part of it is still in use as Longside airfield/heliport. KH695 is also on my my list of 'local' aircraft to build, along with some other Mustang IV's and III's of various squadrons.

Regards,

Mark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

Andre,

KH695 was flying from RAF Peterhead at the time of its force landing in Sweden. RAF Peterhead is a short drive north of Aberdeen and part of it is still in use as Longside airfield/heliport. KH695 is also on my my list of 'local' aircraft to build, along with some other Mustang IV's and III's of various squadrons.

Regards,

Mark.

Hello Mark,

Yes, thats what I also found out when I investigated the history behind KH 695. I live in Varberg not far that airfield where KH 695 was forcelanded during the war. Thats part of my intrerest concerning this aircraft and also is why it is one of mine "local" aircraft to build along with other Mustangs that landed in Sweden during the war and P-51D's that served in the Swedish Air force. Sad to say KH 695 was badly damaged during landing and sold for scrap...

Cheers / André

• Like 1

Painted my Mustang with Hu 163 yesterday. "The loop scheme" was actually simplier to mask than other RAF camoflage schemes (Spitfire. Tempest...). Next thing will be to paint the sky nose and tailband. After that it almost done for some decals...

One thing that I havn't cleared out yet is if the surface normaly not seen when flaps was up was painted or NMT. I intended to build my kit with flaps down..

/André

One wonder what the folks at Italeri where thinking when they made the decals for KH 695. When checking the decals if there was something usefull I noticed that they even left the "K" behind for KH 695 and the only letters left are H 695...

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=8423

Strange thing is that Airfix didn't provide any letters at al for their 1/72 Mustang IV. Ok, it is an gift set but...

http://s3.zetaboards.com/locate_and_cement/topic/7602415/1/

Ok, at least I can use the roundels...

/André

Edited by Andre B

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:16 PM, Andre B said:

Painted my Mustang with Hu 163 yesterday. "The loop scheme" was actually simplier to mask than other RAF camoflage schemes (Spitfire. Tempest...). Next thing will be to paint the sky nose and tailband. After that it almost done for some decals...

One thing that I havn't cleared out yet is if the surface normaly not seen when flaps was up was painted or NMT. I intended to build my kit with flaps down..

/André

The area of the flaps that are exposed when the flaps are down is unpainted metal. There is a band of black bars painted on the LH flap from the leading edge of the flap to the painted edge that show how many degrees of flap are selected; this is visible to the pilot from the cockpit. Each bar indicates 10 degrees of flap. Doubt you could do the numerals in 1/72 scale, but the bars would be a nice detailing touch! I have attached a link to a photo that shows what the indicators look like and where they are located. Good luck! (I doubt, with all the maintenance, painting/repainting, all aircraft retained these, so your guess would be as good as anybody's, short of having a photo of the very airplane you are modeling and if the photo showed the LH side of the Mustang with the   flaps down.

MIke

351719.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andre B said:

Strange thing is that Airfix didn't provide any letters at al for their 1/72 Mustang IV. Ok, it is an gift set but...

http://s3.zetaboards.com/locate_and_cement/topic/7602415/1/

Ok, at least I can use the roundels...

The transfers for Airfix's Mustang starter/gift set were not Airfix's finest hour.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

The area of the flaps that are exposed when the flaps are down is unpainted metal. There is a band of black bars painted on the LH flap from the leading edge of the flap to the painted edge that show how many degrees of flap are selected; this is visible to the pilot from the cockpit. Each bar indicates 10 degrees of flap. Doubt you could do the numerals in 1/72 scale, but the bars would be a nice detailing touch! I have attached a link to a photo that shows what the indicators look like and where they are located. Good luck! (I doubt, with all the maintenance, painting/repainting, all aircraft retained these, so your guess would be as good as anybody's, short of having a photo of the very airplane you are modeling and if the photo showed the LH side of the Mustang with the   flaps down.

MIke

351719.jpg

Noice foto. I've got those bars as decals in 1/72 so they will be there. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers / André

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

Was it common in RAF to remove the aluminum fairings around the exhaust pipes (unshrouded exhaust pipes) ?

/André

Andre,

I don't know for sure the reason for removing the exhaust shrouds, but it seems to have been a fairly common practice on USAAF and RAF Mustangs- guess the crew chiefs figured it was several fasteners they didn't have to contend with; I would imagine, maybe with long-range sorties, flown at lean mixtures, the exhaust stacks got burnt out and had to be replaced fairly often- maybe it was less trouble to just leave the fairings off. (My purely uneducated and speculative guess!)  Lots of photos show both configurations, so go with your photos, if you have them.

Mike

26 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Andre,

I don't know for sure the reason for removing the exhaust shrouds, but it seems to have been a fairly common practice on USAAF and RAF Mustangs- guess the crew chiefs figured it was several fasteners they didn't have to contend with; I would imagine, maybe with long-range sorties, flown at lean mixtures, the exhaust stacks got burnt out and had to be replaced fairly often- maybe it was less trouble to just leave the fairings off. (My purely uneducated and speculative guess!)  Lots of photos show both configurations, so go with your photos, if you have them.

Mike

The thing is that the Swedish Air Force Mustangs where rarely seen without exhaust shrouds. Cant remember any photo of an J 26 or S 26 Mustang without them. And there where a lot of P-51D Mustangs in Sweden and they did many hours up in the air. Ok, it was after the war when there where more time for overhauling on ground...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

• 2 months later...

I've just got the mentioned RAF Sky Letters from Xtradecals. My first impression comparing them with Humbrul Hu 90 Sky and sky decals (letters and fuselagebands) from Airfix, Italeri, Academy and Matchbox is that the Xtradecal's letters are darker and more greyish. Concerning size they figures well compared to 18, 24 and 30ins letters from Airfix decals.Maybe they are a little on the large side comparing to panellines on an 1/72 scale Airfix P-51D Mustang and photos of KH 695. One thing notised is that these decals are not as matt as Airfix decals usually are so using them will ned an clear coat of matt or satin clear.varnish..

Looking at photos at KH 695 it looks that the letters are are bit darker than the sky fuselageband so those decals will proabably work fine.

I will try to take some photos and to make an "review" of those decals comparing them with other decals an how they work... 

/ André

Edited by Andre B

• 2 weeks later...