A triple Polikarpov "R" project

JWM

Today I was detailing "limo" version and put decals on that one.

First - propellers. I sand and fill and sand and finally glued them. Two wooden for both R5 and metal for RZ. Spinners I copied in resin from spinner of RZ (what is not 100% correct, since they differ a bit in spinners...). Anyway it was a lot of sanding to fit them  with props which were also copied from TB-1 by Mikromir. 

poli DSC04596

As you see there is wooden rod as prop axes, and lolipop rods cut into pieces for bearing. Alu foil for endcup. This makes it rotating. This is general pattern I am using since some 20 years for all V or in-line engines. 

Decals for "Limo". I went through my whole pile of decals but I did not found good red "20" in "soft" font seen on photo of this machine. So I took this MIG set:

poli DSC04597

Which will be OK also for red stars, and made some  handpainting on "2" and "0"

poli DSC04598

It does not look perfect (on left, in background photo you may see what I tried to get) but what I did not done by brush I will do by knife cutting it out.

And here decals are on:

poli DSC04600

Propeller is also on place

poli DSC04599

It is likely that tomorrow I invite you to see it on RFI... If not - it will be on Sunday.

Some progress I made with second R5, but RZ was untouch today

To be continue

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 6

Limo is finished.

poli DSC04602

I've just posted it on RFI

To be continued with two remaining....

Cheers

J-W

Edit - this is here:

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 10

Thanks Cookie for adding motivation :)

Today I realized that something is wrong with height on which upper wing comes on R-Z.

poli DSC04612

In model it about 2 mm higher.

By the way - this figure shows a  flaw of Maslow's book drawings of RZ. There is no one wireing cable, which comes from central struts to about middle of wing. Moreover - the outside struts comes here much to close to fuselage. You may see to any of R-Z photos from front or back, or even or 3/4 - you will see how big is this mistake...

https://heroesandgenerals.com/forums/topic/63847-new-soviet-recon-plane-polikarpov-r-z/

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/11913.htm

Here this missing cable is perfrctly seen in light:

http://live.warthunder.com/post/552444/en/

I shortered the central four struts since the side one were too short - now they became more OK.

But I looked more carefully on central struts and noticed, that they comes to close to windscreen (or canopy).

So I moved rear two about 2 mm to the front. 

poli DSC04614poli DSC04615

On drawing the canopy first from front side window is much longer than in model, but photos do not confirm drawings. Rather model. So I did not changed it. 

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania polikarpov r-z spain

I have also to cut and re-arrange angles of side struts in wings, just to line in trailing enge of both wings and the end of windscreen of pilot

poli DSC04613

So next evening with surgery....

To be continued

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 3

The  upper wing of Natasha is glued on position 

poli DSC04628

To be continued

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 5

Hi

The MPM vacu has already upper wing on position. I was not a piece of cake. I have not so big experience with vacu kits, this is my 11th buikd ever (so close to one build for 4 years...). I posted on BM all my vacu models so far, starting from first CW-21 Demon (Rareplane, I made it about 1980), then other Rareplanes: P35, P43, Formaplene IK3 and IAR 80, Contrail N3PB, Broplan RWD13 and PWS 10, some Russian (I do not remeber by heart name of company, sorry) UT1, Ambrosini 207 (converted from Dorado, by a Polish compny which I do not remember name, sorry again). As you see there was no biplane so far. I went like this, let say that I am satisfied.

poli DSC04629poli DSC04630

With Natasha (RZ) this was time for riging:

poli DSC04631

poli DSC04632

Note, that the cable which cames in middle of lower wing is present on Maslov's drawings only for R5, not for RZ.

This can be noticed on the photo of RZ on this web page.

https://kplanes.tumblr.com/post/108475937470/k-planes-episode-26-polikarpov-and-lavochkin

to be continued

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 4

I was happy with rigging of Natasha until I've looked at this photo:

poli rrz s8pd

I realized that this cable (that one in the middel of lower wing) should come closer to fuselage. Moreover, the wheels are larger that the SH kit one.

So I had to make corrections. Removal of whheels come unexpectly easy - it was glued after painting both surfaces, so the glue was not too hard. More difficult is riging

I drilled new openings, cut the EZ as close to lower wing surface as possible, then glue an ultra thin piece of plastic sprue at this free end  of EZ cable making kind of needle.

It is visible here - the cable is not yet on position in this photo:

poli DSC04633

Then it went already smoothly. This is result:

poli DSC04634

to be continued

Cheers

J-W 

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 5

Brilliant solution to the rigging correction! I have always just removed the whole piece and put in a new one, requiring both ends to be drilled out.

Ian

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Brilliant solution to the rigging correction! I have always just removed the whole piece and put in a new one, requiring both ends to be drilled out.

Me to, but this time it would required changing two more cables on each side, because they cames to join openings on one end. So If I will not found this solution I will have to made once more all cables which cames from "upper wing, near fusalage" to lower wings....Apparenty I was too lazy to do this ;). But this idea of glueing a thin sprue as kind of needle came to me some months ago on an occasion of another build. It is very useful with EZ which has problem with static elecricity and flexibility, which sometimes can makes troubles if the access to opening  is not very good.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I had some break due to duty trip. I am back. I looked again at photos and decided to replace the box's struts between fin and horizontal tailplane by the EZ cable. On photos it not massive at all.

poli DSC04762

The bigger wheels I took from old mould KP Letov 328 (right, on left single original wheel from SH R-Z)

poli DSC04761

They are not so nice in relief, but I think they are of right size. I bought the new mould of Letov and the old one went for canibalization. The engine aready went to Persian Fury.

I made shallow openings (drill 0.8 mm) on below wing and put some short rods which will be then trimmed. This is start of constructing of bomb racks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152188754@N05/36503545992/in/dateposted-public/

I will cut them using a tool for nails cutting - it gives nice cut.

To be continued

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 6

The vacu Ambrosini 207 is the Modelaid one - got that today with an LF resin one and the vac is being passed to a mate.

Nice work on the Polikarpovs. I've been in appreciation of your scratchbodge skills for some time now.

Edited by The Wooksta!
  • Like 1

The Wooksta, thanks for recalling me this company name. Now nice model of it is by RS, I think.

If you would like to see my SAI 207 it was here:

7 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Nice work on the Polikarpovs. I've been in appreciation of your scratchbodge skills for some time now.

Thank you. I like scrtach work a lot....

J-W

Next small correction - the bomb racks should be (if I see correctly from photos) a bit more wider in position on wing. So I added one on outer part and removed the most inner ones. Then I added some "bomb interface" :

poli DSC04785

You may notice some progress in painting. I made three colours rudder. Analysing photos I decided to enlarge red on upper wings. The struts looks at photos mostly light, so I painted them light blue. I notice photo on which rear of prop is light, so I made it silver (before I guess only that it was in some dark colour due to Spanish "warranted" Sun... :)

poli DSC04784

Bombs FAB 50 (Russian) I took from A-model Yermolayev Yer-2. I will do this plane with close bomb bay door...

poli DSC04846

I made some work on MG. 

poli DSC04847

In kit there are very delicate PE gun sight elements. That I left for tomorrow...

Time for decals. I never printed out yet home designed - so I am a bit nervous about it. I am thinking on hand painting - but the lettering for LN-045 (in black outlined white or alu ) I have not found anythink like that in my drawer, so perhaps I will not avoid to do it. Simply I will have to do this... But it will take some time.

To be contiuned

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 4

Hi,

I decided to try first time print out of home designed decals. Natasha "LN-045/white 18" - has unique emblem. I prepared follownig:

{EDIT sorry - I cannot find this photo while converting to Flicr}

It will be reduced by 3 times. We will see how it will look like...

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That's Charles Nungesser's personal emblem. I had no idea it got copied!

It looked familiar to me, but I have not realized from where. Many thanks. They copied it and this is on photos, so no "poet licence" of the profile author. 

On web page "mission for today" i found more info on this machine

"2ª Escuadrilla de Natachas, Grupo 30. This Escuadrilla was based in La Garriga during late 1938, making the last mission on December 24th when 6 of their 9 aircraft were destroyed after attacking troops at Fontllonga. It was also the last Natacha mission of the SCW." - the LN-045 was one of destroyed. 

Here is this painting scheme again

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/r-5/tapani/LN-045.htm

I have to dig out the photo in my comp...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

It is here:

poli%20scn0011c_zps9yxmg6lv.jpg

Since we have this photo here (it is taken from Net, not mine scan, sorry for fuzzy right side) it is interesting to notice some dark colour applied on the top of fin and rudder. On  profiles it is interpreted as red (as in link in my previous link)  or ignored (as below):

poli%20rz%20images_zpskj3nnemw.jpg

On photo it is a bit darker than red from fin. Moreover,  the border between it and the colour below it is not sharp. It is temptating to follow one profile and do it in red. Interesting are also bright two lateral strips on violet part of fin and dark colour of struts below tailplane. 

So always problems...

I have bought in net clear decal by Techmod, waiting now  for letter with it. The I will print and apply decals and go to finish Natasha (sorry - rather in Spanish: Natacha)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

On 30.03.2017 at 1:02 AM, limeypilot said:

Looking at the first of the pics I'd say it's the same colour as the rudder behind it. The tone appears identical. 

Yes, but If it is red I am affraid about two shades of red part of rudder... A fresh one and a faded one? I already painted top of fin in red in model. One think I have to add to Natacha - on photos of crashed LN45 above one can notice a kind of a rail, which is on bottom of canopy. I have not noticed it before.... I have to make it. 

In SH box there are decals for LN-044 and LN-046. However, on a cover of a book on SCW the LN-044 has a different scheme with a massive emblem and lack of red strip on fuselage

I remember that I've seen a photo of this emblem once, but I do not  have it. Strange is also lack of fuselage strip. I would rather go to do LN-045 as I planned, but this scheme is also very interesting.

For R-5 bomber (old vacu MPM) I now a bit confused about the paintig scheme. The SCW one are temptating me because of the colours: 

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania spanish  polikarpov R5

BTW - the red on wings is too narrow on this profiles - on photos it is half of distance to to strut.

The second temptating is R5 from invasion on Poland, 1939. The reason is rather obvious -  due to my nationality...

But  the scheme is - what to say - rather boring.

Even more boring is Mongolian R5 from Nomnhan/Khalkin Gol incident

But this is perhaps the only opportunity to do a Mongolian machine. Moreover - both above are a bit speculative since non photos showing all details. For example above Monagalian profile shows R5Sh, with additional 5 MG and presumable double MG in gunner position, but photo in Maslov's book show the Mongolian gunner with single MG (suggesting just R5) and a similar profile of R5 in a French book on this campaign says that Mongolia used normal R5, not R5Sh...

So - as I said - hard to decide...Any suggestion/clarification of doubts welcomed.

To be continued

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 2

Looking at those crash pics again, I'd actually go with the green. Particularly in the lower photo, the tip of the fin can just be seen above the horizontal stabiliser and the shade is definitely different, closer to the green fuselage sides. Even the top pic shows clear tonal difference between the tail and the fuselage stripe, which you know was red The similarity to the rudder could simply be due to deflection of the rudder causing it to catch the light slightly differently.

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looking at those crash pics again, I'd actually go with the green. Particularly in the lower photo, the tip of the fin can just be seen above the horizontal stabiliser and the shade is definitely different, closer to the green fuselage sides. Even the top pic shows clear tonal difference between the tail and the fuselage stripe, which you know was red The similarity to the rudder could simply be due to deflection of the rudder causing it to catch the light slightly differently.

Indeed, in lower photo the red top of rudder is complety different from the top of fin...

My first attempt to print decals failed. The print-out was looking like a small waterdrops on the foil. The right term is that the surface was too much hydrophobic (I am physicist, sorry :) ). I have to enhance porosity of the decal surface to enhance adhesion of ink. I've though about a hair spray (lacquer) . Bot how it will be stable then during applying decals? Of course one have to cover or print in oil enamel varnish I think. Or I will try matt varnish (or a color of background?). The emblem I can try to paint with brush, but outlined numbers must be very precise....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

My first attempt to do computerised home made decals (I always was trying to do it by free hand painting). I used Techmod clear decal. I painted it with Vallejo Matt and then printed the Nungesser-like emblem. I wait 48 hours for drying of ink, cover it with gloss (diluted)varnish by Humbrol. I cut the white decals background (the print on white would be more reasonable from the beginning...)

It looked like that:

poli DSC04873

And after application:

poli DSC04874poli DSC04875

Not perfect, although better I hope thn if I would paint it by free hand...

Meanwhile the riging of R-5 bomber (MPM vacu)  got some progress

poli DSC04876

Natacha is close to finish. I have to do "LN-045" only (?!)

To be continued

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 3

Today I made next attempt to print decals - they looked very good just after printing, but then they lost sharpness. Apparently the ink was not absorbed. I will try again...

I finished riging including bars.

poli DSC04877

I hope that "bar" is a right term for this rod which takes cables together. Bars I added also in both R5 (Limo and Bombers)  today. So in case of Limo after conisering it finished and after presentation on RFI. Sorry for that. Those bars I glued just on varnish. I found it the best "glue" for such delicate thing. I finished riging in bomber, also on tail

poli DSC04878

To be continued

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 5

Somehow I have missed this thread. The first winter camouflaged model is just superb - a real winner. The other two are also coming on extremely well - especially the home made markings.

First class modelling here and no mistake.

P

• Like 1