RAF Puma HC.2 ZJ955 'Black Peter' - Details Wanted

Paul Bradley

I'm looking to build RAF Puma HC.2 ZJ955 'Black Peter' using the Airfix kit. I have the appropriate Whirlybirds  update and conversion sets to turn the kit into an HC.2.  Some questions regarding that particular airframe;

1. I know it is a former-SAAF airframe. Did it receive all the appropriate mods to bring it to HC.2 status? Does it have the glass cockpit? Anything unusual or non-standard about the SAAF airframes in RAF services?

2. There appears to be a different aerial fit on the port tailboom - is that now a standard RAF fit? It isn't included in the Whirlybirds set - what is it?

3. Does anyone have any interior photos of Black Peter? If not, what was its interior fit? What colours? I cannot find any interior shots of this airframe on the web.

TIA!

Paul, the ex-RSA Pumas were converted to HC1 standard (by Eurocopter and Westland), then to HC2 with the other aircraft from various batches.  It will have all the HC2 mods, and should not be significantly different (if you were making it as an HC1, then it would need less weathering than the earlier HC1s). 

I don't think that Whirlybirds do a specific HC2 set?  The HF aerial was one of several changes to the outside of the aircraft during the upgrade from HC1.  Most of the other changes were internal, but note revised engine door and gearbox fairing details, as well as other aerioal changes.

Can't help with internal photos of ZJ955 but pm me if you need some more detail on the HC2 interior.

Regards

Tim

HI Tim, thanks for your reply and the info. Upon closer inspection, you are correct - the Whirlybirds set I have (72099)  is NOT a specific HC.2 conversion, but appears to be a conversion to a late HC.1. My mistake in not reading it properly! It includes all sorts of external goodies, including the nose HF aerials that were, presumably, relocated to the tail, and it doesn't have the glass IP (I have a plan for that). I'll have to pay careful attention to photos of Black Peter to ensure I don't use any bits I'm not supposed to!

Hi, Paul.  The nose aerials on the HC1 were for UHF homing; the HF was a wire, mut changed to the much more robust "clothes rail" foir HC2.  I've some pics of the outside of 955 in Black Peter scheme taken at RIAT.  They are not great, but give a 360 view.

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

The internals for the Mk2 are the same as before with little change that modeller will notice. It is in the normal dark sea grey and black colours. Sorry never have taken many pictures of the inside.

Sammy ex 33Sqn and 230Sqn for over twenty five years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...