Zero Paint ok to brush?

Harrier/ViperFan

I found Hiroboy and the Zero Paints, which do a lot of paint I could use for a few vehicle kits I have, but as I don't have an airbrush due to family having breathing problems I have to stick with the hairy stick. Can anyone tell me if the Zero Paints are ok to brush paint? I don't want to spend the money and find out that they are no good for brushes as they are not cheap paint.

Absolutely not, in light of family with breathing problems!!!.  This stuff is highly toxic and a respirator and or spray booth are essential.  

It is also roughly the consistency of milk so it is very thin.  I don't think it could be brushed unless you pour some into the bottom of a container and let it start to dry, then brush right at the optimum time.

To give you an idea, when I use paints like Zero, I wear a respirator, and I have a spray booth vented to the outside of my house.  This is automotive grade paint and professionals work in a both with respirator.

Edited by cbk57
  • Like 2

If you have a friend in the hobby with adequate spray equipment, partner up.  The Zero paint jars are really big and enough for more than one project so some paint sharing and a 6 pack of beer might get you use of a spray booth away from your family.

I've brushed Zero paints before as I too don't own an airbrush. You'll need to prime the surface with an automotive primer. Like halfords spray cans stuff first.

It'll take a lot of coats to get an even coverage and you'll need to sand each coat in between to get a flat surface.

Work near an open window as the paint smells a bit. Their clear coat is the only thing you'll need a respirator for as its poisonous. But I'd just use a normal clear lacquer spray can from halfords anyway. Oh and just so you know. You do need a clear coat as Zero paints are matt.

Ashley

I recently had cause to brush-paint some Zero Paints Colour to touch up some minor damage on a model. You just have to be very careful and brush with very light strokes. Then it won't lift what's below. Ask me how I know...

I'm not sure about this, but I think that the 2K lacquer is probably polyurethane with Isocyanates in it. The 1K, I'm not so sure. As for the normal base colours and primers, just take the usual precautions as you would spraying anything.

All paints are more or less hazardous, even acrylics. If you spray any paint, either do it in a very well ventilated area or wear a proper mask OR both!

Cheers, Alan.

Have you thought of investing in a small spray booth with extractor hose? I bought one off eBay like this recently for around £50 and is ideal. There is a faint smell of paint post spraying but nothing an air freshener & open window wouldn't cure. Even better if you can use it in a separate room.