Rubbing down surface primer?

J.D.

Hi all,

I've just sprayed a model with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer. I thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner it to about 2:1 - twice the amount of thinner as primer - and added a small amount of Tamiya Paint Retarder. I ran the airbrush at about 18 psi, which seemed to work very well with almost no graining.

The problem is that I seem to have attracted some dust (I haven't got a spray booth) in some sections which will need sanding and there are a couple of other spot which need a touch up too, probably with some Mr Surfacer 500. Otherwise, it's not bad.

So the question is, what do you use to rub this stuff down? I have some very fine grade paper, like 1200 and 2000. Will that do it properly?

Any advice welcome and gratefully received.

Depending on the size of the dust, start with 800 then work your way to a grade that supports the finish you need. Remember the primer is there to give the color coats something to grab, so if perfectly smooth it won't may not  grab well enough. 

For most camouflaged aircraft I usually quit at 800, for a single color aircraft I go a bit smoother, since masking is not likely, and for NMF I try to get it to a polished look, using 2000 or higher. 

Will that wipe away the dust?

If so, I might try kitchen paper since that is very lightly abrasive.

How long should I leave it?

Edited by J.D.

Not sure I understand. The paper towel is a bit too abrasive for my tastes. It it's just dusty, certainly, but if the dust is embedded in the paint or primer it needs a bit more. The soft cloth is really for polishing. 

JD. Found the best is to use a 1200/1500 wet and dry paper. Keep the surface wet at all times.

This way you will end up with a smooth finish no sanding marks.

Also has the added advantage of not tearing the primer off which can happen easily just

using a sander dry.

Dust. I use a Harder and Steenbeck air blower.  I put a tee on the compressor and ran an

independent line for the blower ie it is direct not affecting the setting of PSI for the airbrush line.

With the present compressor I can use the blower at 50PSI and that clears all the dust and little

hairs. very rare that I have all those annoying bits in the paint finish.

STEENBECK https://www.everythingairbrush.com/airbrushing-accessories/micro-air-blower.html

Laurie