Revell AT-AT with mods.

Saw Phil Flory do this, Revell AT-AT, on his youtube channel and decided I had to have one. It is a great size and will have incredible impact once completed. In fact I purchased most of the Star Wars kits he built....budget is still recovering. I thought I would just re-scribe the panel lines and add a little more hull detail. As I started to build, I realised there was some details missing, and that some of the head dimensions were off. So, I added more details, some to make it more accurate and some just for details sake. I am awaiting some mini screw drivers to add the smaller screws to the legs, and a slide switch for the lighting, so it has been great just tinkering away with some plastic card and glue. I manages to melt some of the black interior paint onto the inside of the cockpit window. Bummer. Oh well. Lesson learned. Can't wait to put it all together and weather the heck out of it. 

rvl06715.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

IMG_9516.jpg

IMG_9518.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9535.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

• Like 10

What scale is this?  Any chance of some pics in context with something, say a Banana, or one of the Bandai 1:12 figures?  I looked at this when it came out, and decided to wait to see what was in the box.  I have 2 of the old AMT kits, and will doubtless be getting at least one of the new Bandai creations... do I need another?  Depends... :wicked: 

• Like 1

Here are a couple of shots for size comparison. The plastic in this kit isn't that far from the real thing, although, there is scope for more detail. As I mentioned it looks great at such a large scale. I couldn't find my old AMT kit (in storage) to show the difference. Here is it with a 1/35 figure and a Bandai 1/12 storm trooper. The other walker is Revell's new AT-ACT kit. You can see a noticeable difference. Hope that helps. 

I have made a little progress on the walker. I have added a slide switch to the underbelly for the lighting. I have decided to use a 3V button battery to light the single LED, but am still tossing up where to put it? I might just close it in and when the battery runs flat, so be it. Any suggestions? 

IMG_95532.jpg

I also posed the legs on the belly of the beast. Once I was happy with the position, I ran Tamiya Thin Cement around all the joints and then let it set. This will give me a more solid assembly once the legs are added. 

IMG_9562.1JPG.jpg

I have commenced the under painting. Black humbrol enamel with downward streaking. I plan to add multiple layers....next being white, followed by a mid grey....

IMG_95694.jpg

IMG_9567.3JPG.jpg

• Like 3

For a Revell kit that doesn't look half bad and the extra detail lifts it even further.

For the battery are there any panels that can be removed or any that you can secure using magnets to secure them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmonk said:

For a Revell kit that doesn't look half bad and the extra detail lifts it even further.

For the battery are there any panels that can be removed or any that you can secure using magnets to secure them?

Hi Madmonk. I wondered about removing a panel. I will have to have another look...I do have some small magnets so I might have to get creative. 

Thank you for sharing your build with us, I am following your progress with interest.

I have wanted a 1/48 scale AT-AT for years and when your post started I discovered a kit that was probably as close as I am ever going to get. A kit is making it's way to me now.

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Air-to-Air said:

Thank you for sharing your build with us, I am following your progress with interest.

I have wanted a 1/48 scale AT-AT for years and when your post started I discovered a kit that was probably as close as I am ever going to get. A kit is making it's way to me now.

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress.

Hi Air to Air. I am pleased my build is helpful to you. These forums are a great source of ideas and tips as we watch others enjoy the hobby. I have often been inspired to purchase a kit and achieve results I am happy with because of others. Hopefully you will post your build too. Cheers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Re the button battery.

It's a bit late now, but,

under a foot?

Hi Pete in Lincs. Yeah...a bit late for the leg Idea....wished I had thought of that earlier. I am currently thinking of removing a panel from the side of the body and building in a box to hold the battery connectors. Will post updates soon. 

• Like 1

Here's another update. I was looking at the body to try and find a panel I could remove to add a battery compartment. As I looked at likely panels, it was obvious from the internal framing, that this was not going to be an easy fix. I then began looking at the underside of the walker, where I had installed the switch and it became glaringly obvious. The cylindrical front area of the underbelly seemed to be the solution. I sawed away the front part and found that it will house the button battery with sufficient room to spare. 

a.jpg

IMG_957a5.jpg

Not only that, but there was a hole that went straight through from the internals into the nose area of the underbelly. 

d.jpg

I then used some plastic card to provide a positive contact point for the piece I removed. I fits like a charm and holds in place well. So when the battery needs changing I can just remove it and put it back in place hassle free. 

IMG_95g79.jpg

I have also increased the contrast of the pre-shading, which will be over coated  with a light dusting of a neutral grey. 

IMG_9591.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another quick update. The AT-AT has been painted. The details hex screws and grub screws finally arrived and were added to the legs. You can see them in the first photo. A gloss varnish was added using Tamiya Clear. This was used first to seal in the Mr Color greys, followed by a couple of coats of future. I then mixed up my own wash with Windsor and Newton designer's gouache with a drop of dish washing detergent. Once applied and wiped off, the detail really pops. You can take off or leave on as much as you want, as the wash is water based. This will be followed by another coat of future, some dry brushing and then weathering with oils for all the streaking. 

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9834.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the battery terminal tucked away in it's new home...

IMG_9965.jpg

Once I test fitted the legs to the body, I noticed these connector stubs were far too prominent. So I decided to build some covers to hide them and add a little more detail. 

IMG_9982.jpg

I used a punch and die set to make the plastic disks and plastic rod for the bolt heads. 

IMG_9980.jpg

IMG_9983.jpg

Not far to go now....once the oil weathering is dry, a final dull coat, addition of the legs and all is done. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neo uk said:

Noel do you mind if I ask where you got the tiny hex screws and grub screws from ?

Hi Neo uk. 

I purchased them from an ebay sellers. I can track down all the details if you are interested, eg, size etc. Cheers