Mig-25RBT from ICM in 1:48

Mike

Enjoy you're build Mike, I'm at the painting stage with mine and have posted this question elsewhere on the site.......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017132-mig-25rbt-colour-profiles/

Its regarding the painting of the upper fuselage as there's no top profile in the instructions with the kit. Looking to find out what panels, of any, are natural metal at the rear upper fuselage?🤔

Murray

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Its regarding the painting of the upper fuselage as there's no top profile in the instructions with the kit. Looking to find out what panels, of any, are natural metal at the rear upper fuselage?🤔

Can't help you at this stage Murray, as I've not even thought about the painting of mine, but I know Ya-Gabor will probably be able to help.  I was hoping he'd be along by now to offer his pearls of wisdom, but there's no sign of him yet :hmmm:  However, Arkady has just posted up his build of the KH kit, and you might get some info there :)

7 minutes ago, Julien said:

Looking good, must admit I have ordered the resin nose for mine.

Sometimes it just has to be done if it's a case of getting it done or not :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Enjoy you're build Mike, I'm at the painting stage with mine and have posted this question elsewhere on the site.......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017132-mig-25rbt-colour-profiles/

Murray

No NMF panels there, except the very end around exhausts (just like on the RB from scalemodels.ru walkaround). ;-)

• Like 1

This looks like a beauty of a kit Mike, I had a look at Chris's kit the other day and was really struck with how the engraved detail was so beautifully done. And from what you say it has 10/10 fit as well. 

These big Russian juts have a look about them, as if they were carved out of slabs of granite. Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Cheers

John

Them big Russian juts do have a certain presence, don't they? ;)

Just so y'all don't think I've been sitting there with my :yes: up my you-know-where, here are a few of the assemblies I'm just finishing off.  I've been painting the cockpit lately, and have done the first install of the PE belts, which need a little extra fitting to conform to the shape of the seat, then I can matt coat it.  it looks much nicer in the flesh, as I've managed to get quite a bit of shading going on with the rear quilting, but inevitably the belts are going to obscure some of it.  Shame really :shrug:

assemblies1.jpg

I've still got to decide how to do the dials, but as I've lost my clear part (temporarily), that can wait :)

• Like 10

The cockpit detail painting has been finished now, and I've tweaked the belts to sit better on the seat, after which I've given it a coat of AKAN matt varnish to tone down the shine.  The instrument panel has been completed (i found the clear part on my desk) with as many accurate dials as possible from the Airscale Soviet Early Instrument Dial (AS48 SJET) decal sheet, and fabricated "near enough" dials where I couldn't find a perfect match.  The faces have been Kleared for a gloss finish, and I just need to add a dab of glue to lock the clear part into the styrene front.  Overall, there's not much point in having clear dial parts, which has always been my thoughts on the subject.  Ideal for me is either a PE lamination, or a well detailed part with individual instrument decals supplied in the box.

The side consoles are quite good as is, so they got a lick of paint here & there, then switches & panels were picked out with my trusty W&N Series 7 000, being careful to clean and re-wet the brush now and then to prevent the tiny amounts of paint drying out.  I think I'm ready to put it all together and close up the nose now, but I'll just have one last check over it to make sure I'm not missing something important :hmmm:

cockpit3.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work, looks very crisp!

Also Good to see you have the belts 'coming out' of the two slits at the edge of the seat cushion. 👍🏿

Some people overlook this on the the KM-1 seat. 

See it alot in mig-21 builds. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Clarity

15 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Also Good to see you have the belts 'coming out' of the two slits at the edge of the seat cushion. 👍🏿

I've seen a few weird places for belts coming out of the Foxbat's seat for some reason.  :shrug:

The cockpit has been declared finished, and the nose has been closed up around the 'pit and the nose gear bay, which can definitely have the gear leg added later, which is just as well because there are parts of it that are really quite delicate.  I doubt it would all survive the rest of the build process TBH.  Here's the nose with the former for the intakes in place, and it measures a little under 8" from end to end.  That's bigger than some aircraft in this scale! :o

nose4.jpg

I've begun assembly of the main gear legs, which are quite complex, and made up of quite a few parts each.  There's a short gaiter missing from the short suspension strut on the main (largest) part of the leg, which I'll try & replicate with putty.  There are also a few massive hex "nuts" that need adding to some of the pivot points, which I'll attempt to get somewhere near, and a fairly busy run of wiring/hoses too, so I'm going to be quite busy with small aspect of the kit.  Meantime, I'll be putting the sub-assemblies for the intakes in place once the glue on the former is set up enough.  You'll notice from the pic that apart from a tiny sink mark running round the join between nose and radome, the fit is very good... again. :)  That piece of tape is keeping the join from spreading under the weight of the 30g of lead that's now in there, held in place with Gator's PVA, which will be reinforced with a layer of CA once it is set up.  I won't be fitting it just yet though, as I still haven't finished the rescribing of the new hump under the nose.

• Like 7

Nice work so far Mike, really enjoying this one.

Does anyone know if ICM have updated the parts since the initial release? I've just had a customer ask me a specific question about the boxart and if it had "New" in a red banner on it. "No it doesn't" says I to which he says "Good that's the version I'm after" and pays his pennies and buys the kit. Might just prefer that version of the boxart I suppose. :shrug:

Duncan B

I'm not exactly going full-pelt here, as there are other things needing doing, but here are the semi-finished exhausts, which just need an external gloss coat and a bit of a wash with something to darken up the petal edges.  Plenty of different shades of Alclad metallics and hot blue were harmed during the process :)

exhausts3.jpg

exhausts4.jpg

Sorry about the dust everywhere, but that's a by-product of the work I've been doing on Han's Blaster from Star Wars :)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any more done Mike on this mighty MiG;) Such a cool kit, I've had one now since it got released and I'm dying to get it started, but I need to finish up my MiG-31.....which is close :)

Edited by Radleigh

• 6 months later...