16 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'm not a great fan of non-camo schemes but it does suit the Dominie

Cheers Hendie.  Well its that or the black scheme and I never really saw any in that scheme.  Might need a Jet Provost in red & white to go with it one day

• Like 2

Update on progress today.  I thought its about time to see what I can do with the inside of the door as a stairway.  Wanted to check the height & how the door will sit

WP_20170529_12_15_22_Pro_zpszj3pi32v.jpg

**-picture currently lost in move from PB

I have now shortened the front wheel strut a bit to bring the door a bit nearer to the ground.  You can see the wing fence on this shot, and the glued on & fillered in wings

I then put the flaps back on for a rear view

WP_20170529_17_44_24_Pro_zpsyr6p4lh1.jpg

The opening sections ahead of the flaps are now on, but the wheels are still on with blutac.

So that leaves the flap central section bar

Dominie-0031.JPG

So out with the evergreen plastic rod and the plasticard

20170529_190330_zpssyljkiad.jpg

Its just balanced in at the moment but I think it will work.   Need some hinges on the other side of the flaps next, plus any other wing based protuberances.   And cut out the leading edge lights

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Bit more progress on the underside and the wings today.  Firstly I cut the lights into the leading edges and added the port and starboard tip lights.  Both are clear plastic.  Then added the hinges for the flaps, then the centre line trunked sections.

20170530_151737_zpsp8aehcfl.jpg

Generally coming together now.  Need to paint the leading edges, ailerons and flaps.  Had a quick go at the steps inside the door, and added the front wheel well doors.  Next up is adding the wheels.  Some more to do on the tail horizontal but that needn't stop some decals going on.  Lots of external probes and antenna to go on, but I might leave them till last

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Still more to do on the Dominie - tail horizontal surfaces are not finished, no antenna etc, but I put the wheels on & couldn't resist giving her some decals and her number.  She is now XS726 - the Newark preserved one. 

Its interesting putting together decals for a model that no one has every made in this scale - so cobbling together anything that looks about right will now follow.  Need to get some larger size decals for the number on the bottom of the wings (have them from other kits, but can't quite make up the full set I need), and some bits may get painted too.

Anyway, this is how she looked today

NiXapdI.jpg

FOKxcoh.jpg

Oh, pointless small item - she now has windscreen wipers!

And as the weather is good I got out the HAS today to see how well it survived the winter in the garage.  Seems relatively ok - few bits need sticking back on.

tMoJw5r.jpg

ZkdiMmf.jpg

That's all I really wanted a Dominie for - as variety on the diorama.  The unpainted steps on the door stand out, and other bits & decals will bring it on further, but she looks ok.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

I remember when it was just a tube of clear plastic!👍

Cheers Reconcilor. Seems a while ago now! More to do - the engines need some blast selectors on the back, main gear needs doors, antenna & stuff all around it, and the rest of the decals.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reconcilor said:

Should be about half an hour's work I'd say.😜

Yes but when will I get the half an hour!  Lots of other things I should be doing......

• Like 1

This has been fascinating to watch develop, I can't wait to see it finished. Makes me want to do something similar but I fear the jump from building kits out of the box to full on scratchbuilding is a bridge too far for me!

Edited by Battle

54 minutes ago, Battle said:

Makes me want to do something similar but I fear the jump from building kits out of the box to full on scratchbuilding is a bridge too far for me!

Cheers Battle.  My approach was not to think about it!  My kits are fairly average at best, so this was really just to see if I could do it.  I didn't start expecting it to be as enjoyable as it has been.  And the Dominie looks fairly at home with the others.

• Like 1

Will be driving past Newark tomorrow so should really be visiting XS726 tomorrow, but won't get the time to do a visit justice.

Had a bit of a disaster with the decals this week.  I masked up with tamiya tape for the emergency exit and put the tape on the right hand roundal.  Which despite a coat of klear came straight off stuck to the tape.  Thankfully I found some new roundals that were actually a better size.

NE6LrLy.jpg

So that & a couple of new decals

ULeMZTO.jpg

That's about all I have had time for I am afraid

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

On 31/05/2017 at 7:18 PM, bar side said:

but she looks ok.

Oh come on Bar side, if it was OOB then maybe but she is fully scratchbuilt and all the better for it, you now have a very unique model. Fantastic.

Has doing a Jetstream in RAF or Navy colours entered your thoughts.......oh I am a b****r aren't I ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Has doing a Jetstream in RAF or Navy colours entered your thoughts....

Cheers - a Jetstream could be tempting, if a little similar in shape to the Dominie.  I found myself working out the dimensions for a Fokker F27 the other day.  Used to like the displays by the Dutch ones back in the day.  But back to a few kits after this I think, although I don't think this will be my last scratch project.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I too remember the KLu F27 displays, always worth watching and if I remember correctly it was predominantly the same tail number, good days!

Yes, tubular body, not too many tricky curves, 2 ft wingspan in 1/48........

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I think you have just talked yourself into an approximately 20.5" scratchbuilt F27

I think I will limit myself to no more than one scratch project a year!  

• Like 1

B R A V O Sir, 

I admire your scratch-made Dominie ! what a unique piece, not only in your collection, but in the modelling scene and forums worldwide !! You can be so proud of that! 

so.....

W H A T 'S      N E X T  ? ? 

thanks for sharing,

Olli

• Like 1

I haven't checked in here for a while... wow!

Considering this is totally scratch-built the result is amazing - you must have a real sense of achievement as producing a truly unique model.

Fantastic work!

Tom 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROBOT said:

W H A T 'S      N E X T  ? ? 

thanks for sharing,

Olli

Cheers Olli - it's still got some bits to get finished before it's fully done.  What's next? Well the stash has built up a little while building this.  May have to go for an easy kit before thinking of anything more complex!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I haven't checked in here for a while... wow!

Considering this is totally scratch-built the result is amazing - you must have a real sense of achievement as producing a truly unique model.

Fantastic work!

Tom 

Cheers Tom - it's a nice feeling to fill a gap in your collection with something you can't buy.  I borrowed the method for making the front and back from you.  Same method as you are using on the Shak.  Not sure I could have made the complex shapes without it!  Final details now to fish it off.

Got on to the pitot & other antennas today.  Knock them up with plasticard, telephone wire and heat stretched sprue.  

gHxuFKZ.jpg

And some rbf tags

8oM0i0I.jpg

Just strips of masking tape painted red.  Now have white stripes on them

YFdn8gd.jpg

Couple of intake covers from silver foil too.  She now has some main undercarriage doors too.  Few jobs may not happen so think I will finish off the tail horizontal surfaces and call it about done

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

Had a go at the remaining bits and finished the tail.  Also made up the engine exhaust deflectors as I know I would notice them if I didn't!

So, she needs more decals but I don't really have any, so I might have to call her pretty much done.  Grabbed some quick pics before the sun went too low.

j6qdtAE.jpg

3pJbzVv.jpg

M26ylg1.jpg

ADFjdbu.jpg

7xvOAtO.jpg

jc2yDbz.jpg

I will try to get the HAS out to pose her with all of the stuff, and then I might out up a RFI.  Might even post her in the 70s NATO  group build as I built her within the group dates.

Got to say she has come out better than I could have hoped.  There are bit that bug me & could be better, but the aim wasn't to make a perfect miniature just a reasonable model as there is no kit in this scale. 

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4