I am wondering if I need to thin down the extension under the rear fuselage - its difficult to get a good shot of one so I may have ended up modelling a model.  Worse things happen at sea...

Pic from another thread on here:

hs125_20101220-1.jpg

So looks a bit slimmer in the pics I have now found

From Newark:

p188229913-3.jpg

81986as.jpg

Glad to see the section stops short of the ventral fin - some non-military ones seem to over lap it

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Been out with the sandpaper trying to get a reasonable shape on things.  I have also blu-taced over the windows & got the humbrol 64 spray can out.  No point using white as it doesn't even up the colours underneath.  So this is how it looks

n22p3c1.jpg

You can still see the join, so will put some liquid green stuff over it & sand again

hsVnpbZ.jpg

1EQ9jel.jpg

Underneath has had the section behind the wing thinned down and smoothed in a bit

lv8gRYY.jpg

Now getting itchy to get the nose on, as that will need filling & blending in too, so might as well do them together.

Thinking engines next, might be easier to paint the body without the outer wings or engines on.  Might build them before paint though & put them on after

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

Look out barside...............that carpet looks like the ideal habitat for monsters..............................

I wondered how you would tackle all the interesting shapes, curves and bulges on a Dominie................and this is how

best wishes, Adrian

1 minute ago, adey m said:

Look out barside...............that carpet looks like the ideal habitat for monsters..............................

That's not a modelling room, just the only one getting any sunlight in today!  Perils of trying to get daylight on the subject.

Cheers Adrian. Didn't want to just do solid car filler, so seemed sensible to make a frame & plaster filler over it & sand to shape

• Like 1

Not wanting to be a serial depressor but that rear curve just isnt happening is it

As the main tube is looking good could you perhaps take the tail end 'fill' out a bit further so you can then get a better shape on sanding the lead in area over the blended join, sort of blend in from slightly further back

That should allow you to keep the fuselage section clean and get a better easement onto the tapering tail section

Just a little more bulk back there can make all the difference when you shape it back

I'd agree too with making the 'accessories' engines pylons and the like ready to pop on, plugged in with brass rod seems like a feasibly feasible method

Got to say you are making a fabulous job of it, lovelyjubbly  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Taken your advice @perdu and built the filler up further back from the join.  First sand down done & a second coat of filler now drying.  And the nose is on!

Pic after first coat of filler

NGHCZsx.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

Little bit on the tail today. Scribed out the rudder hinge and cut a sheet to fit over and make the hinge tabs.  That will go on top and get some filler to smooth it in to the front of the rudder.

Nzk2gdc.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2017 at 9:20 PM, oggy4624 said:

With all of the military and government users of the 125/ dom, I am surprised that there are no kits available - that and the harrier GR3.

Cheers oggy you can get the dominie in 1/72 if it's still in production.  But never appeared in 1/48.  But airfix did do the harrier GR3 in 1/48 - built one a while back

dYgbXsR.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Been playing about with the cockpit glazing and the tail.  Need to start thinking about engines soon.  So need some tubes to build around.  Pen lid time!  This or another might form the basis for a couple of vipers.

FSOjhK1.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Was wondering about where to start the engines.  Thought a tube might be the way to go until I spotted a felt tip pen with a tapered conical tip.  Didn't come up to the right size at the other end, but I found an old small cotton reel that fitted in to the opening and allowed me to adjust the length to what I was after.

lER1maH.jpg

The ring on the front gives a good shape & the conical end will work.  So will now need building up with filler.  It is relatively tight to the tube on top and sides, with a more pronounced bulge underneath.  The ridges on the pen will give some good guides to fill to.

Trying it on the side of the fuselage 

j42iSy2.jpg

Need to build the engine mounts, and I think I might drill some rods through to fit the engines on to.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

I was wondering about building up the engine shape with something like miliput - any thoughts?  Could do it with P38, but it will be a slow old process

Milliput is excellent

Have you considered using resin?

I started casting my own parts a year or so ago and now if I want a 'funny' shape I make it first in plasticene then use that to mould from for casting

This return to modelling has taken me to so many 'places' I never dreamed of, I'm seriously considering looking into home brewed photoetch parts too

But - after that minor digression you can use Milliput like plasticene and make up the curvy shape of the engines nicely with it

It smooths nicely with a wet finger too

No I am not suggesting you use the Milliput to cast from unless you are planning to make lots of RR Vipers  :)

But that pen casing plastic is unlikely to take nicely to adhesives, polystyrene beats polythene every time for using adhesives

Edited by perdu

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Have you considered using resin?

I really want to try some resin casting at some point.  Have been watching @RichO casting fantastic things for some time and will no doubt get some kit at some point.  Probably not in time for this build though.  Also fancy some 3D printing.  That's the thing about this hobby - you can do anything 20 different ways & I try to make each build a chance to try out different approaches.  Photoetch would be cool too.

The pen engine has taken some P38 so I think it may take Milliput if i scuff up the surface first.  Never tried it before, so once I get some it will be a new experience.

• Like 1

Couple of scrappy pics of the engines.  I was looking at the front of a viper & it needed something down in there.  Then I looked at the felt tip that came out of the pen & thought it looked about right

lOfwSMv.jpg

So I cut a plasticard disc and poked the dried out felt tip through.  Three vanes around it & then stuck it together

EyRhBOk.jpg

Externally its not the right shape yet, but once painted it should look ok inside.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:12 PM, perdu said:

Glad it takes some glue, how about drilling a few holes round the body of it?

The Milli will squidge into the holes and make a very fast  join when it is set

That could be a plan Perdu

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

or wrapping it with wire.  You could build up the curvature with additional layers of wire.  The crevices between the wires would give the milliput something to grip into, and you would have a reasonably consistent thickness of milliput along the length of the engine so shrinking shouldn't be a problem

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 11:40 PM, hendie said:

or wrapping it with wire.  You could build up the curvature with additional layers of wire.  

Could also be a plan Hendie - I could add some strips to the bottom & wrap wire over them to form up the deeper curve underneath.  Will make some extra gap to push the milliput into as well.

Cut up another pen today to start the second engine.  I also tried gluing the screen in place with superglue & it did fog a bit along the top.  Main problem though was getting the side windows to adhere well with very little surface to glue to.  So I tried mocking up a card one piece wrap around and that looks better, so will cut out a new screen.

Nice weather outside this morning & with a quick sand down and spray I put the cockpit top on & blu-taced the engines to the back and took it outside.  I am now trying to figure out if I have got used to this being the shape or if it is looking the part for a Dominie

185SG5W.jpg

CfbOZ5J.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Reconcilor said:

This is looking really good.  You could just carve the engines out of wood (basswood for example). It's not as difficult as people seem to imagine. 👍

You would say that with your rather nice Mig 15 carving work.  I guess I would need to try it to see but you are probably right even if you sand it down and then coat it in P38

• Like 1