After building several 1/48 jets, many RAF, I really fancied adding a different jet to the range.  After thinking about it for a bit I settled on an HS-125 Dominie.  Trouble is no one does a 1/48 Dominie kit.  There are a few desk models about but not a lot more.  So I should have given up there really.

Then I got a 1/72 plan and copied it up in size, and put it away for a year or so.  Then dug it out again & worked out the central fuselage would be about the size of a plastic waste pipe.  and I started wondering what it would look like.

f207HUS.jpg

So what size would it be built up?  Some cardboard and some messing about came up with this:

yC9Isk2.jpg

bHzEmZK.jpg

Then started on the back end in plasticard.  I am planning to put circular formers in and overlay strips of plasticard.  Then build it up with some P38 car filler to try to make the shape

Aoa7sVK.jpg

ag4WTWE.jpg

So one quarter of a back bit started.  No idea if this will really work or if I have the skills to do it.  All advice and tips gratefully received as I clearly don't know what I am doing or am taking on!  Oh, and if you know a Dominie well, please look away now.  I don't wish to cause offence.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 15

We did have a Dom expert round here, but she is not here now so get in quick ;)

I'm sure you'd only have had help from her though

Which doesn't take away from a great idea and I'm sure you will do the Dominie proud

Well done for a great idea for a build, a very good start too

b

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ROBOT said:

Total scratch built Dominie ?!?!? You Must be insane! Or a Genius....

Well I wouldn't say genius, so....

Yes Perdu, I remember following her thread with interest, but when I checked the other day the thread was there but the photo links had gone sadly

Edited by bar side

Perhaps not having too much knowledge helps my naive approach.

I do keep thinking that I could build 2 slightly undersized halves & vac-form them.  But I only want one so not sure it's worth the extra,effort 

• Like 3

Cheers Trevor

Nice set of reference pics there & I do like the black paint scheme.  Was thinking of the classic raf red & white scheme really.  Probably looking for around 1980

7820.jpg

• Like 4

Great to see another scratch built project taking shape on Britmodeller's hallowed pages...

I've just picked up a 1/32 Domine so will be watching this closely for details - it's a lovely plane and sadly under-represented in kit form. 

8 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Great to see another scratch built project taking shape on Britmodeller's hallowed pages...

I've just picked up a 1/32 Domine so will be watching this closely for details - it's a lovely plane and sadly under-represented in kit form. 

Got to say it was your Shackleton that got me thinking this might be possible.  I'm still far from convinced that I can do it.  1/32 Dominie next to the shack will look great

What a great project of a great type.  Will certainly be a unique and interesting subject when complete, can't wait to see how it progresses.

I've thought of using the "bulkhead and planking" method for creating fuselage shapes before, but never had the courage to carry it through.

Look forward to seeing how this progresses - going well so far !

Don

• Like 1

You say you aren't sure if it will work. Don't worry, it will work! The only advice I would offer is to pay attention to making the model strong enough. Everyone thinks and talks about detail and accuracy- but when you are building from scratch to have to also think about the thing 'surviving' the entire construction process. If it's strong you can afford to 'rip out and replace' anything that's not working.

Good luck - this is going to go well.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, bar side said:

After thinking about it for a bit I settled on an HS-125 Dominie. Trouble is no one does a 1/48 Dominie kit.

True, true...

So if ya're lookin,' people @Airfix, how 'bout an upscale kit of this beauty of 'em jet? Oh, 'n' while at it, how 'bout an upscale of yer Vulcan kit as well...? :lol:

This build's gonna be epic!

Cheers, bar side!

Unc2

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, Reconcilor said:

You say you aren't sure if it will work. Don't worry, it will work! The only advice I would offer is to pay attention to making the model strong enough.

I am hoping that the planking with a coat of P38 filler over it will keep it fairly strong.  I am more about it looking like a Dominie than getting to bogged down in detail.  And the weight, and the centre of gravity.  All things that will need to be worked out as it goes.  Anyway, first coat of filler on.  Several patches needing a second coat, but may wait until the other side is built up.  Plus the tail needs some building up and profiling.

wwG5EcR.jpg

Its actually soother than it looks in that photo.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:58 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

So if ya're lookin,' people @Airfix, how 'bout an upscale kit of this beauty of 'em jet? Oh, 'n' while at it, how 'bout an upscale of yer Vulcan kit as well...? :lol:

Who wouldn't fancy a 1/48 Vulcan at a sensible price?  Think I would actually go for a Victor - they just look mean.  

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

Having a good bit of time on this today - with the first coat of filler on dry & sanded, I put some extra plasticard on the tail to shape it out a bit, cut the first part of the elevators and started the frame for the other side.  Even getting the planking on to it.  Might even finish the planking tonight.

OGoshwl.jpg

wfNuVYU.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

On 2/12/2017 at 11:29 PM, hendie said:

Don't forget you can add filler inside the fuselage also for added strength

Good point Hendie - will keep that in mind.  Got the filler on to the other side this morning & sanded it down tonight.  Shape looks ok & not too heavy - quite strong too.

T3NemGu.jpg

Could do with blending in the tail fin a bit and start to mark up the rudder location.  Then attach it to the fuselage 'tube' & filler up the gaps.  Need the windows cut in the tube first.  

Edited by bar side
  • Like 7